Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167662 times)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #1460 on: February 21, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
The Galaxy and Defiant don't look too bad. Although some of the bridges look far too spacious. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #1461 on: February 21, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
All of the sets do. It makes it easier to program cameras.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #1462 on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
But there's a tennis court between the Captains chair and the conn. Surely it didn't have to be so large a gap? :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #1463 on: February 22, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
ya the bridges are laughable IMO lol   it seems as though the captain would have to shout or use an intercom to communicate to the other officers on the bridge...

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Do'h
« Reply #1464 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
Transporterpads and turboliftdoors are also ridiculously oversized.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #1465 on: February 22, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
But there's a tennis court between the Captains chair and the conn. Surely it didn't have to be so large a gap? :P

yes yes they needed to be... if you want lots of characters to share a space....
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #1466 on: February 22, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »

yes yes they needed to be... if you want lots of characters to share a space....

The lifts and trasnporters, I can understand. But the bridge? It's a command centre, not the local town hall.

- Lorien

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #1467 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
Um Guys the actual scale of The command chair to the ops/conn on the galaxy bridge is pretty accurate. At least it feels like it is to me. As for the arguments about the size, maybe this is how they scale em in the 25th century? It doesn't make any difference in how the ship would run realistically, star trek bridge operations are totally illogical anyways as to how we would really create a bridge in a starship in the first place. why would for example, the tactical officer also become the communications officer? answer- the producers decided not to have a communications officer seperate from the rest in TNG for no real reason. Realistically tjhat would be the ONE station/officer that would NEVER get nixed on a real starssship- communications would not be running smooth letting it be done on automated Comm systems or by secondary officer control. But anyways the point is, you will never get a justified answer to the model scale of the bridge, it literally is a case of "It is what it is".

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #1468 on: February 22, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
You guys should see the size of my Tier 4 Klingon Bridge,
Ill take a pic later on.

[Edit]
Pics added,
This is a Vorcha class.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #1469 on: February 23, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
Ill take a pic later on.

[Edit]
Pics added,
This is a Vorcha class.

Its the Carbonite Freezing chamber from Star Wars. :P

- Lorien

Offline AdmiralKathryn

• Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Captain
« Reply #1470 on: February 23, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »

I just started playing this game 2 days ago and despite my initial opinions on the various pre-release media, I actually like the game.

I think they've done a good job of making you feel like your actually a part of the game with all the customisable options and I actually care about my little rust bucket of a Miranda class.

I understand the need for all of the interiors to be so big but EVERYTHING is overscaled, even consoles etc. Other MMO's and Trek games all look fine scale wise and are structurally sound enough for the camera's etc. This is probably my only gripe with the game.

In saying that I think it would be great if you could, in the future, have options to customise your bridge further, perhaps with different texture sets reflecting the different Trek Era's.

So far I'd give it 8/10

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #1471 on: February 23, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
Ill take a pic later on.

[Edit]
Pics added,
This is a Vorcha class.

Its the Carbonite Freezing chamber from Star Wars. :P

:wtf I almost thought this is Grand Hall of Warriors or something like this on Q'onos ... this game has some awfull scale issues... Defiant that appear smaller or even with Danube ??? puuuhhleeeezzzzzz did they ever watch DS9 ...eh

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #1472 on: February 23, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
ever hear of perspective?? the danube is closer than the defiant....
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #1473 on: February 23, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
never heard of it :P but seriously, danube can't be that close, besides take a look at any DS9 episode where Defiant is docked with the station ring... it's nose hardly fits the cove while in STO almost whole shipe fits in which would mean STO Defiant  is about the size of original Defiant's nose :eek

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #1474 on: February 23, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
never heard of it :P but seriously, danube can't be that close, besides take a look at any DS9 episode where Defiant is docked with the station ring... it's nose hardly fits the cove while in STO almost whole shipe fits in which would mean STO Defiant  is about the size of original Defiant's nose :eek
Cryptic is probably getting it right in this case. I believe there's an article floating around the internet which discusses DS9's defiant scaling issues.
In fact, there is.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #1475 on: February 23, 2010, 05:17:12 PM »
Cryptic is probably getting it right in this case. I believe there's an article floating around the internet which discusses DS9's defiant scaling issues.
In fact, there is.
I hope so, it just didn't look right IMHO

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #1476 on: February 23, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
I finally made full commander YAY ME!!!!

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1477 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »
GRatz Dawg! Loving my customised Akira with Plasma canons, plasma Torps, quantums, and Phasers.

Offline Ryles

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #1478 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:21 AM »
actually... the scaling on most of the ships is intentionally off. They had to find a balance between playability, and scale. However, I think they made a wrong move making DS9 as huge as they did. They cited that it would always be a crowded area and didn't want it to get lost as the reason during closed beta.

Given the way the game does instances... I dont think that was ever really a worry.

meh. :)

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1479 on: February 24, 2010, 01:29:37 AM »
Agreed Dude on Ds9. OH i forgot to mention--i bought a Bat'leth at Ds9 and my dude is martial art oriented/special forces-- KICK total ass the bat'leth drops romulans like i drop wives...whoot!