Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167679 times)

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #1520 on: March 10, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
Hehe you won't have to deal with HALF of what the rest of us did ! I made Captain yesterday and got a Vigilant (think a Altered Defiant but scale wise its twice as wide and long- reminds me of a K'vort bop to a B'rel-bigger version of the smaller) My bridge i chose is a cryptic original called "Diplomat" its AWESOME! its HUGGE and makes a galaxy class bridge look small (which felt odd at first for a defiant types bridge BUT when i parked next to an actual Defiant in game and saw my scale was much bigger- at least i THINK i saw bigger..i realised hey, why not.).

I'll take and post screengrabs later on but my Vigilant has a blackish hull which is alsos wesome, i was able to make a "stealth ship"look in some ways. She's using Duel tetryon cannons which when fired have a blue color pulse attack but otherwise look like how Defiants pulse phasers FX work on ds9.

I have to say i did a mission involving a test by section 31 to my crew, that was the most AWESOME mission to date and had some nice shocking twists in them by the end (i won't spoil) and gave you a choice on a critical section of who to side with..i still wonder if my choice really mattered or if cryptic is trying to create an illusion theyre gonna follow TOR's "choice tree" path..somehow i don't have enough faith in cryptic to believe they pulled that off.

I went on a random explore mission that ended up ground fighting Mirror universe empire troops that as quite interesting. There is a lot more complex and fascinating stuff happening as i progress, and from what i am hearing the new Raid a sodes are challenging and full of surprises for wheen i hit Ra 5.

Welcome to the game Lionus, do yourself a favor and read STOwiki carefully before going to far you may save yourself some learning curve time. look For George Kane @ chooch99 in game.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #1521 on: March 10, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »
I really enjoy the game and I have to agree with what Daystar has said. Though one of the biggest flaws I see in STO is the level cap. For example in WoW they can keep expanding the level cap with each expansion they come out with. With the new expansion for WoW coming out the end of 2010 the level cap will increase to 90. With STO you can reach Rear Admiral Lower Half comparatively quickly and even with expansions that will come out they can only go so high as Fleet Admiral. One of the rewards for gaining experience is making it to the next level. Once they max out the Starfleet and Klingon ranks, that is it. No more rewards for gaining experience. IMO what they should have done is make it harder to get to the next rank but you will still level up. (ex you have Lt1, Lt2, Lt3, ect.) Another thing to do would be to add a lot more ships so say when you reach LT5 you can get a new ship and at Lt10 you can get another one, just make it harder to get to those ranks. This would extend the life of your Starfleet character, because once you reach lv cap, you really have no reason to use that character anymore other than to help a fellow fleet mate having trouble with a mission.

There is plenty to do with a level capped character in almost every MMO. It's impossible that you've done ALL the content on your journey to that level, most mmo's let you go back and pick up old missions in some way (Cryptic introduced Ouroboros in CoH, which let you go back to missions you had outlevelled/didn't choose that story path), and was handled quite brilliantly (Still one of the most used systems in that game even still). Increasing the difficulty of gaining levels is a terrible idea, because the attention span of the average gamer is pathetically low. The only reason Everquest managed it was because the die-hard fanbase of the game sought a tough experience, whereas STO is more built for the casual gamer (As most MMO's are nowadays, unfortunately).

The casual gamer on average gains less entertainment with the fewer rewards and benefits they are awarded per session, if you extended the time it took to level by 2x, by level 10 you'd be requiring like, say, 10-15 missions to hit level 11 with the Cryptic XP formula, which is typically longer than one sitting, and for such a low level is totally not worth it.

Who said they can't get creative with their level cap? If they DID extend it they can always make up new names, Temporal Commander <Name here>. See? Already viable given the setting of STO.

What I would suggest would be making ships attainable by endgame achievements, to broaden the variety. Wouldn't it be cool to see more than the (HYPOTHETICAL) 3 top tier PVP crafts in groups of 5 just spamming the same broken endgame power? (/HYPOTHETICAL) Though that's a problem that several games suffer from (*COUGHRAGNAROK ONLINE*COUGH*)

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1522 on: March 11, 2010, 06:18:03 AM »
OKay..as i posted a while back i Joined JUpiterforce, The fleet of  Stoked, the Podcast guys for STO popular on youtube. This is where i tell you the pros and cons and my evaluation of the Fleet just in case anyone ever thinks about applying.

First off i am very very very close to pushing the "leave " button.

The first day or two in teamspeak chats they all were interesting and commented that i actually made them have "Uphill chat" in other words stuff to talk about besides chuck norris or politics.

Then i met Jeremy.

Jeremy is an ASSHOLE. Plain and simple.

He seems like such a nice guy you'd wanna be friends with on the show (he is the math expert ) But he is cold, impersonal, takes comments in teamspeak or the chat in sto and likes making people look stupid to make himself look clever for doing it.

Chris IS a really nice guy- he is what he seems like on the show. (i have yet to meet Bryan the guy who wears shades).

Jeremy and i have had..well..words. Not bad because i have stayed respectful and halted myself from going all ape shit on him the way i have in here in the past..it was not easy.  An example-

Yesterday i noticed noone was talking in teamspeak OR chat. i decided "hey why not toss a conversation seed out there". I mentioned how i only regret i have to leave my Vigilant class ship behind when i am Ra5 or be using a crap ship by then, and that i wish cryptic had made it so you can keep old ships and upgrade them the way they claimed you could long ago.

Jeremy somehow decided that one comment was me being negative and said i complain a lot. Then we began discussing the ENT opening theme song, and i mentioned i was one of the rare people who "liked" that song. jeremy decided to make a fool of me and make an issue drama out of it and started a Kareoke.yes..a Kareoke..in teamspeak a whole chaannel--contest to challenge me to sing it against the fleet and winner gets to Decide if i get demoted in rank--yes THIS was the Prize- decide if George Kane deserves a demotion due to liking that song-- so if i won i obvious;ly could clear myself.

Now i'll admit at first it was funny-- but he is not friendly to his new people- he acts like this is a real starfleet and he is an aDMIRAL IN CHAT AND GAME- HE ACTS LIKE A VULCAN, REALLY.

sidenote- i did not take the challenge because normally i would be a good sport, but--at bthis point My animosity towards Jeremy had been escalating, over snide comments and put downs he had made over several days to me--even fleet members found no logic on a couple of them-one even defended me and said "Jeremy--he actually got a lot of people to y'know...chat..in chat..what's the point of having it if its silent?".

Anyhow sorry for venting here but i felt because they are pseudo celebrity wanna be's and a large fleet, any of you could be in a position to try and join them, and i wanted to post a inside review of one man's personal experience. Most of The fleet has been helpful if need be, they're very active- they did a crystalline entity with ALL runabouts saturday and WON.  Yes--they did. I was there.

So they have pros as far as being a decently organised and run fleet- my debate is a personal matter with the active voice of the 3 leaders- and i am going to feel it out a little longer before making a rash decision-- i am very very disspointed that the Jeremy i watched on Stoked is not the nice guy i expected in person.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #1523 on: March 11, 2010, 07:23:23 AM »
I thought it was a fairly standard rule that the bigger your e-peen is and the more people that seem to like you on the internet, the more of a jackass you are.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #1524 on: March 11, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
Hehe you won't have to deal with HALF of what the rest of us did !
Welcome to the game Lionus, do yourself a favor and read STOwiki carefully before going to far you may save yourself some learning curve time. look For George Kane @ chooch99 in game.

Thanks. I'm gonna use Paypal to pay the fee within couple days ( until then I have to sit tight and wait) , but shouldn't I still get that 30 days free, or are they really forcing me to do one month extra subscription so I can even get started with the game?
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #1525 on: March 11, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »
All mmo's do it. You pay for a month and get another month(the free 30 days). 2 months is generally long enough to figure out if the game is worth your time or not.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #1526 on: March 11, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »
that's sneaky.. Eve wasn't like that.  :P

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1527 on: March 11, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
No. YOu aren't paying for iut..you have to give the card info but your not charged the first 30 days.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #1528 on: March 11, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »
I see. Wll, I got through finally. Ensign Geoffrey Wulfricson reporting for duty.  :D

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #1529 on: March 11, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
that's sneaky.. Eve wasn't like that.  :P

Eve's initial fee is 39.99 which gives you a month of playtime included. It also automatically starts your 15 dollar/month fee.

EVE also sells ingame currency, so whatever.

Offline Biggins

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #1530 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »
But you could play EVE for a month without putting in your card details, ma and a friend did it a couple of times
"You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."

Offline Spade

• I'VE GOT TONE! FOX TWO! FOX TWO!
  • Cookies: 12
« Reply #1531 on: March 12, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »
I really enjoy the game and I have to agree with what Daystar has said. Though one of the biggest flaws I see in STO is the level cap. For example in WoW they can keep expanding the level cap with each expansion they come out with. With the new expansion for WoW coming out the end of 2010 the level cap will increase to 90. With STO you can reach Rear Admiral Lower Half comparatively quickly and even with expansions that will come out they can only go so high as Fleet Admiral. One of the rewards for gaining experience is making it to the next level. Once they max out the Starfleet and Klingon ranks, that is it. No more rewards for gaining experience. IMO what they should have done is make it harder to get to the next rank but you will still level up. (ex you have Lt1, Lt2, Lt3, ect.) Another thing to do would be to add a lot more ships so say when you reach LT5 you can get a new ship and at Lt10 you can get another one, just make it harder to get to those ranks. This would extend the life of your Starfleet character, because once you reach lv cap, you really have no reason to use that character anymore other than to help a fellow fleet mate having trouble with a mission.

There is plenty to do with a level capped character in almost every MMO. It's impossible that you've done ALL the content on your journey to that level, most mmo's let you go back and pick up old missions in some way (Cryptic introduced Ouroboros in CoH, which let you go back to missions you had outlevelled/didn't choose that story path), and was handled quite brilliantly (Still one of the most used systems in that game even still). Increasing the difficulty of gaining levels is a terrible idea, because the attention span of the average gamer is pathetically low. The only reason Everquest managed it was because the die-hard fanbase of the game sought a tough experience, whereas STO is more built for the casual gamer (As most MMO's are nowadays, unfortunately).

The casual gamer on average gains less entertainment with the fewer rewards and benefits they are awarded per session, if you extended the time it took to level by 2x, by level 10 you'd be requiring like, say, 10-15 missions to hit level 11 with the Cryptic XP formula, which is typically longer than one sitting, and for such a low level is totally not worth it.

Who said they can't get creative with their level cap? If they DID extend it they can always make up new names, Temporal Commander <Name here>. See? Already viable given the setting of STO.

What I would suggest would be making ships attainable by endgame achievements, to broaden the variety. Wouldn't it be cool to see more than the (HYPOTHETICAL) 3 top tier PVP crafts in groups of 5 just spamming the same broken endgame power? (/HYPOTHETICAL) Though that's a problem that several games suffer from (*COUGHRAGNAROK ONLINE*COUGH*)

I was not saying there was nothing to do. I was just saying that there would no longer be that feeling of achievement when you "ding", there will no longer be that sense of going somewhere with your character. Sure they could make up ranks but how ridiculous will that get later on down the line where a Fleet Admiral is essentially like a noobish Ensign. My 2 cents on the subject is that Cryptic botched the ranks and how long it takes to get to Rear Admiral Lower Half. They just catered too much to the casual gamer. I am in no way a hardcore gamer but Id like a bit of a challenge in leveling. BTW I still love the game and have fun with it but it is riddled with lots of problems, leveling up being just one of them, which is fully expected since it just released. But if it is still in this state a year from now they will lose lots of players.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1532 on: March 12, 2010, 06:07:58 AM »
Baril, The Head Programmer for cyptic was on zone chat a little while ago here at 6 am est, he told everyone that next thursday Respecs would be rolled out in the patch. He definetly was who he claimed, he had a unique cryptic name along with GM colored logo.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #1533 on: March 12, 2010, 06:52:30 AM »
Baril, The Head Programmer for cyptic was on zone chat a little while ago here at 6 am est, he told everyone that next thursday Respecs would be rolled out in the patch. He definetly was who he claimed, he had a unique cryptic name along with GM colored logo.

Interesting. I hope this respec includes getting back every point spent on both your own skills, as well as your bridge officer skills.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1534 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:08 AM »
Me to. DOH! i knew i forgot to ask him something....

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #1535 on: March 12, 2010, 08:05:57 AM »
I know i've spent a fair amount of skill points on bridge officer abilities, only to end up changing one of the skills and losing the points I spent. Would be nice getting ALL the points returned when they add the respec option (here's to wishful thinking).
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #1536 on: March 12, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »
Well I hit Admiral.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1537 on: March 13, 2010, 12:07:58 AM »
Nice Job!