Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167652 times)

Offline Biggins

• Cookies: 2
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2120 on: September 11, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it, a few more levels and I'm Captain anyway.
"You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2121 on: September 14, 2010, 03:17:11 AM »
So I gave in, bought the Excelsior - I had a little extra money to burn, so sue me, lol - and decided to take a few shots with it. And they turned out quite nicely, I think.

1)Beauty shot. (The original 1440x900 is my desktop now, heh.)
2)Confronting the Breen cruiser with Deferi prisoners onboard.
3)Heading home.
4)The VeS'jach - Brigadier General Devaneaux's command ship - investigates the destruction of a Vor'cha cruiser in the Azlesa Expanse.
5)The VeS'jach's bridge. Something I bought with the CPs I didn't spend on the Excelsior. *grin*
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #2123 on: September 23, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
This is my thought after reflecting on my experience in STO since Open Beta in Late January. When people bitch about "canon violations" or "killing immersion" by having things like Nx 01 in the game, at first i agreed. Now i do not and here is why. STO is FIRST an MMO, a game. Second, in every MMo there is the "Lore" or as we may call it, the "canon" of the IP itself. STO has a "canon within the game universe itself" and a "soft canon " as well within its own self contained "micro cosm".

Someone once made a useless argument that if we accept STO as canon to Trek, then we acccept stupid names like "captain Jerk" Or Uss Asshat" etc. Marvel online, when it was going to happen before they sold the engine to cryptic to make it champions, had a plan to hold contests where winners characters could become canon and gues star in actual marvel comics. They would NOT have allowed stupid names like "captain buttface" etc, they would have only canonised appropriate named accepted toons. So Marvel online "player experience" would be "soft canon" like fan fiction, as far as the "actual" effect on the games enviroment and "officially recognised " story lore. See where i am going with this? This is what is happening in STO. Player experience is "soft canon" its meant for US to take out of it what we put into it. It is not by defaault meant to be that our toons are "automatically" canon to the lore of sto itself, we do not automaticallye arn that lore recognition by default just because we pay for it. "uss asshat" does NOT exist to my eyes when i see it fly alongside Uss Daystar, another thing to, we cannot ALL have had the same Denoblean captain in the tutorial (name is same for everyone) so also by default, we CANNOT hold our experiences in the game as canon in of itself. When Nx 01 comes in, we as players could make excuses such as ships of that era come through a temporal rift created by over use of chroniton torpedoes/mines in the war,(a reasonable explanation IMO) or that these are pulled from mothballs de commisioned ships upgraded w shields and modern weapons (an old argument thread of if  even possible) the point being in this Rant, "its a game...relax" :)

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2124 on: September 23, 2010, 12:54:09 PM »
I am in a similar frame of mind. Yeak okay, they're making the NX class, it's not that I uncategorically disagree with it being added; it's just that I'd rather have certain other ships. Or updates to current ones (The STO Akira class is BAD)
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2125 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
Exactly Daystar, I myself will probably buy the Uniforms, not sure about the ship, maybe for screen shots, but I can't see myself using it for anything else.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2126 on: September 25, 2010, 12:16:16 PM »

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2127 on: September 25, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
Hmm...time travel, or they're finally giving the TOS Connie its own interior?
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2128 on: September 25, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
Ita for the next series of episodes that start mod October, one of them in time travel and involves a legendary character. It takes place in the neutral zone so it's either K7 or another ship. But it is Time Travel

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2129 on: September 26, 2010, 02:20:57 AM »
Ita for the next series of episodes that start mod October, one of them in time travel and involves a legendary character. It takes place in the neutral zone so it's either K7 or another ship. But it is Time Travel

From the time frame, it will either have to involve Kirk or Spock, I would think...then again, we'll see.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2130 on: September 26, 2010, 03:08:08 AM »
My idiot whine-o of the day lol:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=181956
this guy takes the cake.  :picardfacepalm:

god I hate it when I get people like this at work, and now I have to deal with them online too!?!

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2131 on: September 26, 2010, 04:57:10 AM »
This guy makes your typical WoW player on a bitchfest seem polite and reserved by comparison. The problem is pretty straightforward - his Internet sucks. But no, he doesn't want to hear that, it MUST be something to do with the game!

EDIT: My reply to that whole thing:

Quote from: Me on STO Forums (God Help Me)
It amuses me that you think it's the fault of Cryptic that you can't get your game to work. It's not. And other than your pedantic braying about how it must somehow be related to the game itself, it's not your fault, either. You've heard this a million times already, but it bears repeating, because you appear to be going into fingers-in-your-ears "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING" mode.

You run on dial-up. Dial-up is antiquated crap. There will be problems with it. It's not coding, it's not Cryptic trying to sabotage your gaming experience. You're running with antiquated crap. THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.

Put bluntly, if you don't like how it runs, stop playing. If you don't want to stop playing, deal with the lag. Simple as that.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #2132 on: September 26, 2010, 06:40:35 AM »
My money is on scotty actually. Breen Bridge officer i named Boushh. Hehe the name Leia used for her Breen looking bounty hunter in Jedi.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2133 on: September 26, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
My money is on scotty actually.

Well, if they end up using the original actor to voice whoever it might be, like they did for Spock in the Guardian of Forever mission, it would have to be one of the ones who are still alive. It wouldn't be right to have someone else play the "prime" Scotty with Jimmy Doohan gone.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #2134 on: September 26, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
They had Worf in the game no voice actor, same idea.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2135 on: September 26, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »
And that was a damned travesty, that was. *chuckles*

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2136 on: September 26, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »
They had Worf in the game no voice actor, same idea.

I'm with Josh on this one. They really should ask the still living Trek actors if they would be willing to come in and do some voice work for their characters in the game (and Cryptic should show more of the canon characters in their storylines).

For the most part, any character that has had any resemblence to canon characters, are usually "offspring" or siblings. Kirayoshi O'Brien for example, at Memory Alpha. Thomas Riker's "son" in a Maquis episode etc

It's only 30 years post-Nemesis (35 years post-DS9). Most of the canon characters should still be alive and well due to the extended length of the human lifespan.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2137 on: September 26, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »
Yeah they got Chase Masterson Aka Leeta in to do.. Well Leeta Hologram.

But according to the devs it will be a while before they can hire another professional actor again.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #2138 on: September 27, 2010, 01:33:21 AM »
They had a mission where Q would send you to wolf 359 era on board Enterprise D , while picard was Locutus, but the "likeness" costs to do the TNG staff was to high in costs so they had to scrap it. Staahl already hinted its TOs era characters and the episode looks to be time travel related.

Incidentally, the info i am about to relay is froma  source in my fleet who has always been reliable, to get info ahead of time since he is personal friends w Stahl and Gozer, and helps them test stuff, (This person is also a DJ on Subspace Radio), he was telling me today the Tier 6 plan for ships is based off the same idea used in BC what we would call "assimilated starships" they are calling "Borg modified Ships" for tier 6.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2139 on: September 27, 2010, 06:15:05 AM »
Personally, I liked the idea of the Destiny novels where the Borg ceased to exist (my forum-based RPG group uses that as a basis, as we're set five years after that). Voyager used them SO DAMN MUCH, they became a joke...