Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167616 times)

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2420 on: July 06, 2011, 02:36:54 AM »
Hey guys. I dropped the game back in March, after the completion of the Romulan feature series thing. I admit to being curious, does anyone still play it, and is it worth coming back to? I've seen a few of the things they've done in the C-Store and what not, but I'm wondering if anyone still likes playing this, even if it's mostly repetitive stuff these days.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2421 on: July 06, 2011, 03:16:40 AM »
oh yeah, it's still very popular.  They haven't added any new missions since the last featured series, but they completely redid several of the early ones.  The next Featured series is coming soon, and it will be set around DS9.  They're also just about to release their new season 4 patch in a day or so. 

This patch makes some huge changes to the entire game, too many for me to mention here, but here's a small sampling.  They tweaked all of the weapons and many of the powers to make them quicker firing and more responsive.  They added an "over the shoulder" shooter style combat mode, with crosshair aiming.  Qo'nos has been completely redone, inside and out, with a new open city map.  Gorn have been redone to look more realistic.  There will be a new fleet action lobby system, set up like the PvP lobby.  Borg now adapt to weapons types, and they can assimilate you (which replaces the old protodrone spawning power).  Klingons can now access most of the Fed sector blocks (except sirius).  Most of the KDF content will be releveled to allow lower characters to play it.  You can now put out plasma fires with the fire extinguisher and the Breen series rifle.  Coinciding with launch they will have special borg DSEs roaming the low lvl sectors.   And that's just the stuff coming out right away, shortly after launch, we'll get the Duty Officer System, which adds an awesome trading card like minigame for your ship's crews, we'll also be getting Open PvP as well.  A little further down the road, we'll get new SF and KDF academies and new tutorials.

This is going to be an awesome update for STO, go check it out on the cryptic forums.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2422 on: July 06, 2011, 03:39:25 AM »
Hmm. Perhaps it's time to shake the dust off Admiral Underwood and General Devaneaux, among others, heh.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2423 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »
Okay, mild issue here (actually, fairly MAJOR issue, lol): I'm not even able to load the game, and when I was, it was pixellated and glitched as hell. Any way to fix?

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #2424 on: July 11, 2011, 01:06:51 AM »
try patching it again, it may have incompletely patched, also check you graphics drivers are up to date.

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2425 on: July 11, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
Yeah, try changing the location the download (europe, us, etc). Who knows i patch didn't came through.

Pff, i have this game as well and i leveled max, played everything (new features too until remans came up).

It just gets boring, there is nothing fresh really, new ships? I mean i'm max admiral and i want to play with a beefed up miranda in the war.

They are just redoing a few systems and shooter stuff.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2426 on: July 11, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »
they've added quite a few new missions and there is also the player generated content.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2427 on: July 11, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »
try patching it again, it may have incompletely patched, also check you graphics drivers are up to date.

That was the first thing I did - but now it's not letting me get into the game at all. How do I redownload the patch? I can't do it on the launcher (and I did the "disable on-demand patching" to get everything, and disabled the voice chat once I was able to get into the game, and it still didn't work).

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2428 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »
it might be a corrupted file on our pc so you may need to reinstall.

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2429 on: July 11, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
Joshmaul, i think you better search this on the sto forum! There are lots of people with experience that can help you as i've seen this problem before!

@nebula,

yeah i know but still, i don't feel its worth to pay again for a month. I would prefer to wait a long time so i can play with a feeling knowing it won't be over in a day.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2430 on: July 11, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
EDIT: I think I figured it out. And I'm really glad now, heh - I'm trying out my goodies from the C-Store, lol.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2431 on: July 11, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
you don't have to pay again to reinstall. (that's part of your online account)

the timer ticks even when you don't play the game.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2432 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
They Updated the Wormhole on STO a couple weeks back, these screens are not mine

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=5109157&postcount=805

Looks a lot more Canon now.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2433 on: July 24, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »
They Updated the Wormhole on STO a couple weeks back, these screens are not mine

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=5109157&postcount=805

Looks a lot more Canon now.

I wish it could be triggered by flying near it and could take you to the Gamma Quadrant...

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2434 on: July 24, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
I wish it could be triggered by flying near it and could take you to the Gamma Quadrant...

Well the next featured episode series involves DS9 and the ENT-F, maybe the Gamma Quadrant will be involved. That is why they updated the wormhole, they are touching up the DS9 related stuff

Maybe they'll add a new sector like they did with the very first series.

I wonder if they will re-scale DS9 exterior. The reason DS9 is so big right now is because when it was the correct scale Cryptic thought it looked too small, wasn't very 'epic', plus it got really crowded around the pylons.

Now the interior I think they could re-scale without any issues, the Promenade width isn't bad, the only problem in the height.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2435 on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:42 AM »
Well the next featured episode series involves DS9 and the ENT-F, maybe the Gamma Quadrant will be involved. That is why they updated the wormhole, they are touching up the DS9 related stuff

From what little I've heard, I thought the next FE was supposed to involve the Borg? (As if we didn't have enough of them!)

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2436 on: July 25, 2011, 10:21:27 AM »
From what little I've heard, I thought the next FE was supposed to involve the Borg? (As if we didn't have enough of them!)

You might be thinking about the Ingame events they're planning before then.
http://www.stowiki.org/Upcoming_content#Borg_Invasion

Here is what we know about the next featured series:
http://www.stowiki.org/Upcoming_content#Featured_Episodes

One of the hints is the first episode relates to something that happened in 2374

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/2374

A lot happened in 2374

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #2437 on: July 25, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »
Yeah, a lot happened in 2374, it's the middle of the Dominion War, lol...though I wonder, seeing as we've been in the Fire Caves already, I wonder if it'll have something to do with the Pah-Wraiths? That's when the whole closing-the-wormhole thing happened.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2438 on: July 25, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
Yeah, a lot happened in 2374, it's the middle of the Dominion War, lol...though I wonder, seeing as we've been in the Fire Caves already, I wonder if it'll have something to do with the Pah-Wraiths? That's when the whole closing-the-wormhole thing happened.

Well the first missions is called "Second Wave"

Quite possible.

I hope The Sisko shows up. Although Cryptic would need to get permission to use his Likeness, I know in the Novels (I think) hes corporeal again, but STO doesn't follow the novels completely.
Only direct novel reference I've found is Mackenzie from 'New Frontier" novels. Then again I don't read a lot of trek novels.

Offline davies78

• Cookies: 16
« Reply #2439 on: July 27, 2011, 05:21:20 AM »
Looking for a little help guys, just started playing the game again and am getting back into it  :)
The only thing is i suck at the ground missions  :banghead:
I am a tactical officer Admiral lower half and really struggle in ground combat esp against the borg  :idk:
Thanks
Stewie (to Lois): Look at him. He runs like a Welshman. Doesn't he run like a Welshman? Doesn't he? I think he runs like a Welshman. ...