Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167652 times)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2460 on: August 27, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
Oh lookie... Cryptic went the "V'Ger is Borg" route.

Got no evidence to say yes or no to that hypothesis. Only to say, the Borg as a "species" has existed for atleast 900 years, whereas "V'Ger" aka Voyager 6, was launched ~400 years prior to 2400.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2461 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:49 PM »
Wow....I think Starfleet'll need some bigger ships.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2462 on: August 27, 2011, 11:50:49 PM »
o.o rly o.o
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #2463 on: August 28, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »
Well, a Constitution class was able to defeat the V'ger threat.  So I'd guess an equivalent Sovereign/Avenger/Odyssey class would be able to defeat a Borg V'ger.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2464 on: August 28, 2011, 12:37:33 AM »
Well, a Constitution class was able to defeat the V'ger threat.  So I'd guess an equivalent Sovereign/Avenger/Odyssey class would be able to defeat a Borg V'ger.

...they didn't exactly defeat it....at least last I checked helping V'Ger wasn't exactly defeating it :P
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2465 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
They defeated the threat V'ger posed, not V'ger itself.  But that's just semantics.  Besides, I have the feeling this Borg ship is just inspired by the look of V'ger, and may not actually have anything to do with it (V'ger).

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2466 on: August 28, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
Well didn't Gene R joke that the 'machine planet' V'Ger crashed on was the (or A) Borg world?

But don't forget Trek does not only spacey-wacey stuff, but timey-wimey too. For all we know, post-TMP V'Ger could have gone back in time and created the Borg, therefore saving itself, therefore ensuring the Borg would be created and it's continued survival?
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2467 on: August 28, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »
Well didn't Gene R joke that the 'machine planet' V'Ger crashed on was the (or A) Borg world?

But don't forget Trek does not only spacey-wacey stuff, but timey-wimey too. For all we know, post-TMP V'Ger could have gone back in time and created the Borg, therefore saving itself, therefore ensuring the Borg would be created and it's continued survival?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #2468 on: August 29, 2011, 03:15:21 AM »

HA, cookie.

idk.. looks WAY too much like Vger to me, like slap face close
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2469 on: August 29, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
idk.. looks WAY too much like Vger to me, like slap face close

I think that was the idea.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #2470 on: August 29, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »
If you played legacy it kinda explains the origins.

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #2471 on: August 29, 2011, 12:44:37 PM »
If you played legacy it kinda explains the origins.

NEVER played it. couldnt get it to work on my computer so it went right back to best buy the same day i bought it.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2472 on: August 29, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Doesn't legacy state that the merging at the end of TMP was the start of the Borg? IIRC it doesn't mention time-travel in that part so either the Borg Queen lied about how long they've been around or, oh I don't know; games aren't canon?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2473 on: September 01, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »
Perfect World Entertainment let slip that STO is indeed going to go F2P (Free to Play) later this year. While no official announcement from Cryptic has been made available yet, Executive Producer Dan Stahl has gone on record addressing certain concerns that the community has. An official announcement will likely be available within the next few days.

To me, this is a great idea. Since Day 1 and the usage of the "C-Store" system, it never made much sense to me to also require a constant subscription fee for the game. With the knowledge that "free players" will still be able to access most of the mission content, and indeed even leveling from start to level cap without paying a dime, this could only be a good thing to get more players into the game.

Subscribers and "Lifetimers" will most likely get a monthly stipend of C-Points much like the players of Champions Online currently receives.

Source:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/perfect-world-entertainment-confirms-star-trek-online-going-f2p/
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/01/dan-stahl-addresses-star-trek-online-f2p-concerns/
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #2474 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »
GI just reported this as well, i personally like the idea considering the price and fee was my only turn off to the game, so definitely keep a look out for me online when it becomes F2P.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2475 on: September 01, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »
Just the excuse I need to pick up my character!  My parents couldn't stand paying $15 a month for me to waste time, but it looks like that won't be an issue. :evil:

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #2476 on: September 01, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! its vger anyways STO is going F2P later this year and i paid 200 bucks for a lifetime subscription. heres the article
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/perfect-world-entertainment-confirms-star-trek-online-going-f2p/

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2477 on: September 01, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! its vger anyways STO is going F2P later this year and i paid 200 bucks for a lifetime subscription. heres the article

So you payed for a lifetime subscription? How is the game going F2P a bad thing for you? You still have the game without paying a dime more for the rest of it's lifetime, AND going by how they transformed Champions Online to F2P, you also get a monthly stipend of C-Points. "Subscribers" of STO F2P, would essentially be paying to get the monthly stipend, but nothing for the game itself.

Further details of the F2P version of STO are yet to be revealed.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #2478 on: September 01, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »
i just want to know WHEN.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2479 on: September 01, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
Perfect World stated that it will be sometime towards the end of this year. Not only does Champs give you CStore points, but subbing/lifetime gives you numerous other perks, more character slots, freeform trait set (Which will be unlikely to be in STO) and of course, Veteran rewards.

I got a lifetime sub to STO when it was still in Beta, so nearly 2 years now; definately paid for itself.