Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167677 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2480 on: September 02, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »
Aa did I majormagna

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2481 on: September 02, 2011, 02:16:32 AM »
I've seen some posts suggesting an EVE type model

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2482 on: September 02, 2011, 03:32:11 AM »
Personally, I've been waiting for this ever since the announcement came that Atari was selling Cryptic off. Now to see if quality suffers as a result - though considering we've had a major content drought for the last six months, I don't suppose it can get any worse.

By the way, I want to see if I understand this correctly: Continuing to pay a subscription fee gives a monthly stipend of Cryptic Points? I admit I am unfamiliar with how their other F2P game, Champions Online, works; I've never played it.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2483 on: September 02, 2011, 05:17:39 AM »
By the way, I want to see if I understand this correctly: Continuing to pay a subscription fee gives a monthly stipend of Cryptic Points? I admit I am unfamiliar with how their other F2P game, Champions Online, works; I've never played it.

Correct. Thou i've not subscribed to Champions Online since it went Free to Play, that is how it's supposed to work. CO Subscribers/Lifetimers get 400 Cryptic Points per month, access to additional costume pieces, free-form character builds, additional costume slots (different costume-sets) as well as ability to equip multiple bags (Silver/Free players must purchase additional bag-slots).

Also, one thing to add is that it's been hinted that the STO model will also involve players being able to convert ingame currency, to Cryptic Points. The current plan is a total economy revamp of STO by September 22nd, whereby most current "badge" currencies all get rolled into a single currency. The new currency will then be able to be exchanged for Cryptic Points (method of transaction unknown).

Effectively, a Silver player would then be able to play the game 100% for free, as well as having the ability to convert ingame currency to Cryptic Points, to "unlock" any limitation imposed on Silver players. Gold/Lifetime members would get their monthly stipend, as well as being able to convert currency to Cryptic Points.

(Note: Most of this is speculation, based on hints to using a similar F2P model as Champions Online)

Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2600
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2484 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
there's also been hints that foundry use might be restricted to gold accounts.  Apparently someone on the forum was able to exploit a bug in the subscription system to essentially play for free, and they got an error when trying to access the foundry.  Although this could have been a code bleedthrough from CO or NWN.

Personally I don't really care about F2P, I'll probably keep paying my 12 month sub.  The only thing I'm worried about is the influx of goldspammers it will cause.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #2485 on: September 02, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »
well i for one hope that they dont limit the free users to the point that its pointless to even bother playing.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2486 on: September 02, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
When you say "EVE Online model" I assume you mean buying game-time with ingame currency. And yes, this is being worked on, the name for the currency used is currently "Dilithium" but may change.

It is unknown if it will be exchangable for Energy Credits or Latinum. But will probably be 'spawned' in the game via the C-Store, and possibly sold over the exchange (Exactly as in EVE).
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2487 on: September 02, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
well if in fact it does wind up being free, i will surely try it out...  ive not given a chance yet...

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2488 on: September 02, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
there's also been hints that foundry use might be restricted to gold accounts.  Apparently someone on the forum was able to exploit a bug in the subscription system to essentially play for free, and they got an error when trying to access the foundry.  Although this could have been a code bleedthrough from CO or NWN

One of the dev's responded saying that 'Silver accounts' are trials, Gold accounts are people subscribed.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2489 on: September 03, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »
well if in fact it does wind up being free, i will surely try it out...  ive not given a chance yet...
I played the demo version, and it wasn't bad. I'd say it's worth playing.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2490 on: September 03, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
New Galaxy Class Variant on tribble. Tier 4, but it also has Cosmetic Skin for the default Tier 4 and Tier 5 retro fit. You can use it console on any Exploration Cruiser.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tuskin/screenshots?tab=&showdate=1&filter=app_9900

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2491 on: September 03, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »
I like the new Galaxy variant. It comes with a new 'material' too, but can only be used when all parts are of that variant are there. Gozer has stated that they're trying to get it to work with all Fed ships. Hopefully it will also be a skin for the Retrofit version. (However the Antimatter spread console won't fit on it at present)

The rear of the 'neck' harks back to Perpetuals Excaliber class. I like that. Doesn't it look like it coupld split into 3 parts though?

The new Klingon ship, the Vor'Kang (Vor'Cha variant) has a consoles which allows a similar effect to the Chain Reaction Pulsar from Armada and Armada 2; specifically created to counter the 'FedBall' currently being used in PvP. The weapon's range from target to target halves every 'bounce' but the damage increases.

I fully support Cryptic's style of bringing in new variants, allows me to 'refit' my canon ships to 25th century style.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2492 on: September 04, 2011, 01:24:08 AM »
The Venture does have a skin for the T5 retrofit, there is one on tribble anyways.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2493 on: September 04, 2011, 05:53:41 AM »
I like the new Galaxy variant. It comes with a new 'material' too, but can only be used when all parts are of that variant are there. Gozer has stated that they're trying to get it to work with all Fed ships. Hopefully it will also be a skin for the Retrofit version. (However the Antimatter spread console won't fit on it at present)

Venture Skin is usable on both the original Exploration Cruiser (Galaxy), the new refit (Venture) as well as the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit. There is a bug with the console atm, which is that if you unequip it while on the ground/station, you need to head back into space to re-equip it. Works on all the Galaxy versions i've tested so far (not tested Galaxy Dreadnought, but should work there too).
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2494 on: September 04, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »
It does work on the dreadnought

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2495 on: September 04, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
Lookie here

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540651622711326338/9B5ABC5FC16DA7A8562B33033C79B34DCC035A8B/

Just went up against that monstrosity.  It makes three separate booms when it dies, lol.

Just curious, have they figured out why in the world people only have 3 repeated officers on their bridge?  It's kinda weird. O.o

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2496 on: September 04, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
So I've come up across a couple of interesting bugs in STO.

1: Dual Heavy Cannon Fire is invisible.
2: Mission critical ships won't spawn.

Well done Cryptic, you didn't test your updates again.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #2497 on: September 04, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
That's odd, I've never had any problems with that.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2498 on: September 04, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
Same here.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2499 on: September 06, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
http://startrekonline.com/f2p

All you need to know about the Free-to-Play conversion of STO, and more.
Ad Astra Per Aspera