Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 169507 times)

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2500 on: September 06, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »
It's about time. :)
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2501 on: September 06, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
Well, it seems like I have no reason to stop my subscription with a stipend going.  Awesomeness for those of you who don't want to pay for it though.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #2502 on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
I liked this part: Monthly Stipend - 400 Promotional Points
Then I can buy a lot of stuff from c-store i haven't been willing to do before.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2503 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:01 AM »
I liked this part: Monthly Stipend - 400 Promotional Points
Then I can buy a lot of stuff from c-store i haven't been willing to do before.

Considering 25 bucks gets you 2000, I think we're being jipped, heh - but the fact we're getting a stipend at all is cool, I suppose.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #2504 on: September 07, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
I'm still a rookie in this... what can I do/buy with this "currency" or "points" you're all discussing?

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2505 on: September 07, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »
You use them to purchase additional character/ship slots, additional bridge crew slots, special ships, new uniforms and uniform slots, Horta pets, tribbles, things of that nature.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #2506 on: September 07, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »
So does that mean that when STO becomes F2P none of those special things will be available to those of us that are only playing the game free?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2507 on: September 07, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »
i havent yet tried it, im sure i will soon tho...
when you try it out for the first time, you set up your character and such - can that be changed later?
like if i start myself as a vulcan male and later get bored with that, can i change myself to like a bolian female with a different era uniform or whatever?

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #2508 on: September 07, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
Not species or class. If you start as a male vulcan tactical officer you'll always be that.
But you can change appearance and outfits.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2509 on: September 07, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
the only other way you can do that is to make a completely new character
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #2510 on: September 08, 2011, 03:42:05 AM »
so by "special ships" whats meant by that?
hopefully ill we will be able to build custom ships the same way you payin folk do.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2511 on: September 08, 2011, 05:15:08 AM »
So does that mean that when STO becomes F2P none of those special things will be available to those of us that are only playing the game free?

I think you would have to actually buy Cryptic Points to get most of that crap. Those who still pay subscriptions - I'm still debating whether I will or not, since I'm considering making SW:TOR my second $15 a month (WoW is, and probably will be for as long as it's available, my first) - get a monthly stipend.

hopefully ill we will be able to build custom ships the same way you payin folk do.

Basically, the stuff sold on the C-Store - i.e. the retrofits, the Galaxy dreadnought, the Vulcan science ship, etc.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2512 on: September 08, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »

You'll still be able to make customized ships.  The special ships are ships like: Defiant with cloak, Intrepid with deployable armor, Galaxy with saucer sep, Galaxy dreadnought, Vulcan D'kyr class, Excelsior mk. 2, TOS Connie.  Stuff like that.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2513 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:22 AM »
You'll still be able to make customized ships.  The special ships are ships like: Defiant with cloak, Intrepid with deployable armor, Galaxy with saucer sep, Galaxy dreadnought, Vulcan D'kyr class, Excelsior mk. 2, TOS Connie.  Stuff like that.

The correct terms are:

Standard ships: Miranda (and variants), Constitution refit (and variants) etc
Premium ships: D'Kyr, TOS Constitution, T5 refits

I believe both the Excelsior and Nebula class will still be accessable for "Free" players, in their Tier 3 configurations, while the Tier 5 versions will continue to be limited to the C-Store. One should also remember, that the game is going to be getting a total economy overhaul within the near future, as well as an ingame method of converting "game currency" to "store currency" at a later date (TBD). The currency conversion, might very well be a feature accessable to both Silver and Gold players. We just don't know enough at this time.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2514 on: September 13, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
They're going to try to get a F2P Public (well Public as in Subscribers) test server, possibly replacing tribble by the end of this month/early October.

They will be Premiering the DOFF System and the Next feature episodes series on there, along with the new economy system.

The new episodes series will be sometime in October on that F2P Test Server, and will be on the live server by the time F2P launches officially near the end of the year.

I heard all of this on a live interview with Dan Stahl on a podcast, which will be on there show next Tuseday if you want the full scoop.

Also the Enterprise-F class will not be on the Microtrans Store AT ALL, It will be earned ingame in a future mission series,, weather it be a Fleet event or what is not known.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2515 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:49 AM »
There goes the promise of more feature episodes "shortly after season 4 launch". End of this year, will be nearly 5 months post-Season 4 launch.

I'm sure the transition to Free-to-play has slowed development somewhat, but they were actively considering a F2P-switch long before Perfect World bought them out from Atari.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2516 on: September 15, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
There goes the promise of more feature episodes "shortly after season 4 launch". End of this year, will be nearly 5 months post-Season 4 launch.

I'm sure the transition to Free-to-play has slowed development somewhat, but they were actively considering a F2P-switch long before Perfect World bought them out from Atari.

Well they're also testing a new event system.

Here is how it works right now, when they release a Featured episode they had to have someone at the office/server on the weekend to press a button that enabled the Episode going live that weekend

With the new event system they can just tell the server to that its self. Plus with the new system they could scheduled timed events, and what not.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2517 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »
My biggest issue with the game (one of few actually), is the severe lack of NEW mission content, and NEW STFs. Which is why i'm currently looking forward to the revamped STFs which will function more similarly to "dungeons" of other MMOs. No more multi-hour STF runs, since the Normal-mode STFs are designed to be completed in ~30 minutes. As well as separating the ground and space portions of the STFs.

Overall, I quite enjoy the game, but most likely will end up being a "Silver" player once it goes Free-to-play, since there are other games on the horizon which I will most likely be playing more than STO.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2518 on: September 15, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »
The Current Borg Invasion Dailies I find fun.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2519 on: September 15, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »

actually what I heard was more like mid October for F2P and the new FE