Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167679 times)

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2540 on: September 22, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »
Well excuse me for having been a participant in funding their F2P venture, and getting nothing in return in the process. 7 frickin months with no new content is shameful, for any game, regardless of the size of the team.

So why didn't you pause your subscription when Cryptic announced that the next featured episodes would be a few months away? Cause they DID tell us.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2541 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
So why didn't you pause your subscription when Cryptic announced that the next featured episodes would be a few months away? Cause they DID tell us.

You know what they DID tell us?

"New feature episodes to be released shortly after Season 4 launch"

All along, me and other paying subscribers have been strung along with promises of alot of things. One of which was major "Season 4.1" patch which originally was scheduled for release TODAY. And up until 2 days ago, that fact was still true. Then Dstahl announces his leaving the company, and the delay of the 4.1 patch until Free-to-play launch. Which is why I decided to make a stand, using my wallet.

Quite a few rules of acquisition are appropriate in this situation. I'll be following this one from now on: "Hear all, trust nothing."

"Once you have their money, you never give it back."
"Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them."
"Customers are the rungs on the ladder of success. Don't hestitate to step on them."
"New customers are like razor-toothed gree-worms. They can be succulent, but sometimes they bite back."
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2542 on: September 22, 2011, 11:23:34 PM »
Here is something for you Darkthunder

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3770077&postcount=582

Also, there is pleanty of Content.

Fan-made content from the foundry, I have not played a lot of it, but some missions rival some Dev content, and Surpass even some of the early missions from the games launch.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3770086&postcount=584

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2543 on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:48 AM »
It largely depends on your definition of content. The vast majority of new releases in the last few months have been on the C-Store. That is not content. That is fluff. Now granted, I understand the manpower issues, but there has been too much time spent on useless crap. Starfleet Academy, or this Klingon Academy we still haven't seen? Fluff. New uniforms, new ships/ship skins, new races, etc.? Fluff, fluff, and more fluff. Not content. It's all eye candy. I am willing to bet that if there was not so much focus on eye candy (and trying to get more money with the C-Store, considering how many lifetime subs are paid off at this point), there would be more effort put into getting out real content. Like this duty officer system (which may well end up being fluff, but eh), or new missions - both for the endgamers, and for the people trying to GET to the endgame. Mostly those who play Klingon.

And I also take issue with people who continue to extol the "virtues" of the Foundry. Personally, I don't see it. It's bugged to hell, and for a very large chunk of time since its release, it's been offline for fixes. Not just the editor, but all the missions associated with it. Plus, in my opinion, it's damn laziness on Cryptic's part...in essence, they're saying "you want new missions, make them yourself". But that's not our job, is it? Now I'll grant you, Stahl is right, there are a few missions that I've played that are easily of the same quality or better compared to Cryptic's; the one with the Romulan prison camp springs readily to mind. But other than a little jaunt through other people's worlds - very detailed and imaginative worlds, I'll be the first to admit - what does that really offer? XP gain is negligible unless you're doing the repeatable (which requires doing three Foundry missions), and rewards are even lower.

A lot of the people clamoring for new missions - again, mostly from the KDF, whose mission list is incredibly short, the grind to endgame God-awfully repetitious (and as someone who levelled to Lieutenant General as a friggin' engineer, I am NOT exaggerating!) - are asking for stuff as they level. Granted, the endgame could use a few additions too, but it's difficult to get to the endgame if you have to grind through all this BS in order to get there.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2544 on: September 23, 2011, 04:11:25 AM »
QFT Joshmaul. I agree with your post 100%.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2545 on: September 23, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
You know instead of whining about it...why not start a fricken petition to get the content released?????
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2546 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
Take EVE Online for example, we get one 'major' update every 6 months, and POSSIBLY new mission, fleet or story content once per year.

Granted the main 'story' of EVE is player driven; but we haven't even heard of news of whats been going on within Empire Governments for over 2 years. Walking in stations would add gameplay value, if we could interact with others, but we can't. And ever since Captains Quarters were introduced, there has been bugfix after bugfix, and they're still not done fixing bugs. And CCPs dev team is massive.

EDIT: Gozer just showed us some pictures of the upcoming Klingon Honour Guard and Starfleet Elite Task force costumes, as well as a "Kellerun Infiltrator" set that is usable by both factions.

Info on the topic: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3770335&postcount=80

Also, this means the Helmet issue has been overcome; I sense EV suits coming in the future.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2547 on: September 23, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »
That's my point RIGHT THERE. Fluff! Not content! The only tips in its favor appear to be that they're STF rewards, or at least it sounds like they'd be STF rewards.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2548 on: September 24, 2011, 01:21:57 AM »
Good lord!  That bat'leth is insane!!!  It looks more dangerous to the person swinging it...

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2549 on: September 24, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
Also, this means the Helmet issue has been overcome; I sense EV suits coming in the future.

One of the hints Dan gave in the last Ask Cryptic for a future episode series was EVA suits.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2550 on: September 24, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »
That's my point RIGHT THERE. Fluff! Not content! The only tips in its favor appear to be that they're STF rewards, or at least it sounds like they'd be STF rewards.

Yes STF rewards, but in my opinion, right now the STFs are nigh-unplayable. And Gozer is revamping them. I'd rather the STO team got current content working properly before shipping out more content.

Also, with regards to the whole "I don't want to wait until F2P for new content",  would you rather them released it last month, then release the F2P stuff and break it?

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #2551 on: September 24, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »
Also, with regards to the whole "I don't want to wait until F2P for new content",  would you rather them released it last month, then release the F2P stuff and break it?

I think that's exactly what they are saying....
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2552 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
I guess this doesn't matter as much to me because I haven't hit the "endgame".

Also, why haven't they fixed the bridge crew bug yet?  Every time I go to my ship's bridge, I get clones of three of my officers...

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2553 on: September 27, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
Rumors from Devs on the TTS chat channel in game, gave hints to the 4.1 Update being on tribble around the 29th or early October

Also Rumors/hints of a New Connie Variant (not Tier 5)

CaptainLogan (lead ship designer/modeller) dropped this blurry image into the STOked Podcast live chat last week

http://p.twimg.com/AZfofp8CMAANEL9.jpg:large

Looks Connie-ish

Looks like its going the same route of the Venture Variant, taking design hints from the Ent-F

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2554 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
Oooo, that ship looks nice.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2555 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
Looks like its going the same route of the Venture Variant, taking design hints from the Ent-F

Good, I like that STO-verse ships are getting a design 'standard', makes it seem less cobbled together.

I'll still only make 'refit' versions of canon ships though, unless the new models are REALLY good.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2556 on: September 29, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
F2P Update

http://startrekonline.com/f2p_blog

Also an image from the blog.

The LCARS... They're Canon D:

Also I wonder what bridge that is. Might be the Canon Defiant bridge they have been hinting at

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2557 on: September 29, 2011, 01:23:40 AM »
Bah, I don't care about LCARS.  Fix my damn bridge crew so I don't have a ship run by clones. :eek

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2558 on: September 29, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »
but clones are fun!
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #2559 on: September 29, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »
but clones are fun!  When you kill them!!!

Fixed for truth!! :dontcare: