Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167615 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2580 on: December 08, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »
That is what it is about exactly Darkthunder. STOked had a chance to visit Cryptic for their 100th episode and they got a sneak peak of the next series, a cut-scene from it of the player talking to the prophets (In the form of people you've met before, just like in DS9) that basically outlines the plot.

The Prophets couldn't remove the fleet from reality, they had to exist, so they transported them to the future.

Dang wormhole aliens!

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2581 on: December 08, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »
Yep.

Anyways the STO Winter Event has been live for a while

And you have a rare chance of getting the Jem'hadar fighter in the rewards.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2582 on: December 09, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
Yeah, there have been people who have spent an extravangant number of C Store points attempting to win one. And the odd idiot that claims it's gambling (How is it when you get something out of it no matter what?)

I also have a Winter Tribble and some frosted boots (Try the frosted boots out on the frozen over lake).
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2583 on: December 09, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
its gambling if all you want is the Fighter

Anyways you don't have to spend C-Points to get it anyways, you have the same chance of getting it if you do the Race every 20 hours.

And the event is until Jan 2nd, so you have plenty of time.

Though, truth be told when I get my 400 C-Points from the monthly Stipend this month I'm buying 4 boxes lol.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2584 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
STO has a new opening cutscene for new characters! I love it.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2585 on: December 11, 2011, 12:52:26 AM »
STO has a new opening cutscene for new characters! I love it.

That is awesome.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2587 on: December 17, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »
Well two bugs, one being the so called "Voldemort" bug (no idea why it's called that) have finally been fixed/are in the process of being fixed.

The first bug, which HAS been fixed is the nigh-instant shield recharge when out of combat. Shield recharge is calculated on a 6 second (or tick) basis. Previously, the shield regenerated at tick 0, 6, 12 and so on; this allowed users to quickly equip and unequip a shield module very fast, resetting the tick to 0 each time, so swapping a shield in less than 6 seconds resulted in an un-intended increase in shiueld regeneration. Cryptic has now made it so no regeneration occurs at tick 0, so doing this now results in no regeneration at all.

This "Voldemort" bug has been of great contention, making people think other players have 2 starship shields equipped at the same time, or swapping shield modules mid combat, to achieve the action of the previously mentioned bug. I shall refrain from explaining it until I'm sure it has been fixed.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #2588 on: December 17, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
Well its safe to say im back in with STO officially!  :dance
and to proove it, heres some screenies, first ones a personal favourite :D
(1)

"Well you dont see THIS everyday."

(2)

"Now thats what i call a threat!"

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2589 on: December 18, 2011, 02:31:58 AM »
I wonder...with the new duty officer system, did they finally fix the cloned bridge crew bug?

And can someone simply explain the system to me so I can jump right into it when F2P starts?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2590 on: December 18, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »
No, the Bridge Officer clone bug is still there.

The best place to learn about the DOff system is probably the STO Wiki: http://www.stowiki.org/Duty_officer

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2592 on: December 18, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
I wonder...with the new duty officer system, did they finally fix the cloned bridge crew bug?

And can someone simply explain the system to me so I can jump right into it when F2P starts?

According to a couple recent Dev posts they know how to fix the BOFF clones. Its just doing it without breaking another part of the game that is the hard part.

I'll try to find said posts.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2593 on: December 18, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
According to a couple recent Dev posts they know how to fix the BOFF clones. Its just doing it without breaking another part of the game that is the hard part.

I'll try to find said posts.

Ugh...honestly, I enjoy just going onto the bridge of my ship at times, and having it run by clones of three officers just ruins it.

So, the duty officer system doesn't let you choose career paths for the bridge officers?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2594 on: December 18, 2011, 10:00:28 PM »
Well, you can have BOffs set as "Department Heads"; First Officer, Engineering, Operations, Science, Medical, Tactical and Security. But as of yet they serve no functional purpose.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2595 on: December 18, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
Well, you can have BOffs set as "Department Heads"; First Officer, Engineering, Operations, Science, Medical, Tactical and Security. But as of yet they serve no functional purpose.

Ahh.  Well, that works, I suppose.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2596 on: December 18, 2011, 11:41:09 PM »

Only thing they do it recommend DOFFs for missions.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2597 on: December 19, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2598 on: December 19, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
Hm, my votes would be Brent Spiner, Robert Picardo or Tim Russ, as their respective TNG era characters; as they could all theoretically still be around in 2409.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2599 on: December 19, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »
I'd take that one step further, and suggest that -all- TNG/DS9/VOY-era characters could theoretically be alive and well in 2409. Picard (as the oldest), would be 104 years old. Which by our standards, would be the equivalent of a 70-80 year old. Admiral McCoy was 137 years old in 'Encounter at Farpoint'.

STO would certainly benefit from -alot- of additional voice acting. Game is way too "dead" when running missions. Each mission needs an actual narrator at the start (like a "Captains Log"), followed by voice greetings/farewells during missions. One can't expect SWTOR-quality "full voice acting" for STO, but one could hope.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera