Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167679 times)

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2640 on: January 11, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »
I agree there needs to be more missions. If you read earlier in the thread, Joshmaul was complaining that the game releases fluff and not content.

And I see not much has changed. Sure, the STFs are a tad easier to get done now that they're split up, and there's all this stuff on the calendar as time-wasters, but...nothing else. Nothing but reskins of the interior of ESD, and more eye candy. The emphasis is, and will always remain, poaching the playerbase for more money by making more fluff. That said, now that I don't have to friggin' pay for it anymore, I don't think it'll be an issue. I went back just for giggles, and finished out my Borg set - now that I don't have to do the STF quests to get that stuff anymore, just collect the data chips.

I'm still waiting on the FE that introduces the Odyssey, and they had damn well better make that ship available to the silver crowd. Sure, it's kinda meh, but it's new, and it'd be free, dammit...
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2641 on: January 11, 2012, 07:19:02 PM »
I'm still waiting on the FE that introduces the Odyssey, and they had damn well better make that ship available to the silver crowd. Sure, it's kinda meh, but it's new, and it'd be free, dammit...

Well Stephen D'Angelo (Exec Producer) said that the Odyssey class will be avaliable via "ingame means" and will not be in the C-Store; but what this means... We'll have to wait.

Anyhow, if you're after some missions, why not hop into a high rated Foundry mission? That's where the future of STO is, as they've already said that they're unable to keep up with the official content production of games such as SW:TOR, who have dev teams a LOT bigger, and who had a LOT more money put into the development.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2642 on: January 12, 2012, 11:57:16 PM »
Anyhow, if you're after some missions, why not hop into a high rated Foundry mission?

Because I'm one of those people who expects the company to do their jobs, rather than have the playerbase do their jobs for them. If it's so easy for one person to make high-quality missions in a relatively short space of time with these supposedly limited tools, then why can't one person at Cryptic do so with their superior tools? Are they that strapped for personnel?
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #2643 on: January 13, 2012, 12:19:14 AM »
Well Stephen D'Angelo (Exec Producer) said that the Odyssey class will be avaliable via "ingame means" and will not be in the C-Store; but what this means... We'll have to wait.

Technically, everything in the C-Store is available in-game.  You just have to do tons of dilithium farming.  I am sincerely hoping that's not it though.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2644 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
Because I'm one of those people who expects the company to do their jobs, rather than have the playerbase do their jobs for them. If it's so easy for one person to make high-quality missions in a relatively short space of time with these supposedly limited tools, then why can't one person at Cryptic do so with their superior tools? Are they that strapped for personnel?

If what was said earlier is true, STO's personnel consists of at most 100 and at least 20.  For a gaming company, that's extremely strapped for personnel.

Again, I seem to be the only one that wanted the Role Playing part of MMORPG.

EDIT: Of course, the day I decide to get back to STO for a bit, it's down for maintenance.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #2645 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »

Yes, they are. Atari screwed them over and left them with so little funding that they couldn't afford basic office supplies. Their full team for STO was about 20, including tech support.

Perfect World has given them an increase in funding and personel, but they are just starting out trying to get things going. Refining game design and mechanics is a priority over content. However, they are hiring now.

As for the foundry, it was mainly created for the NWN and updates so quickly internally that they don't have time to update assets for STO. When they reach milestone releases, they will trickle down to the players.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2646 on: January 14, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »
I like the foundry because sometimes something will leak into the assets, like the Saber Class +1 refit model was there for a while before someone noticed it and removed it because it wasn't suppose to be known yet, right now the model for the Defiant's shuttle 'Chaffee" is there.

This is neat, a couple of the devs posted in the forums in the "What did you do in STO Today" thread heh

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3948278&postcount=38
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3948136&postcount=18

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2647 on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »
Is anyone else having issues where parts of the starfields in systems (and certain block of sector space) flicker when your camera is moving?

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2648 on: January 14, 2012, 01:48:34 PM »
Yeah, it's always just in one area of the skymap.  I think it might be a seam clipping or something.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2649 on: January 14, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »
That's exactly what I thought FarShot. It happens in Direct3D 9 and 11 modes (and considering the 11 beta is bugged; I'll stick with 9 for now). Sent in a bug report.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2650 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »
Wow...I logged into my Klingon character and jumped to Commander instantly.  And even had an actual MISSION to do!  I haven't messed with the Klingon stuff since so much of it seemed to be either exploration crap or PvP, so having an actual mission to do was a rare treat!  AND WORF!!! :yay:

EDIT: Holy cow, they updated DS9's interior while I was gone, and gave Ops a facelift!  You can go into Sisko's office, and his baseball is sitting there in a small glass case.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2651 on: January 15, 2012, 01:38:48 AM »
EDIT: Holy cow, they updated DS9's interior while I was gone, and gave Ops a facelift!  You can go into Sisko's office, and his baseball is sitting there in a small glass case.

The Ops facelift is indeed nice. But it's not perfect. "Captain Kurland", should be sitting at his desk, since he's now the station commander. Instead of standing in the middle of Ops. Besides Kurland, there are 2 other "Captains" standing beside him. 1 of which should be removed entirely, and the other should be demoted to Commander. This is not TOS-era, there should not be multiple "Captains" serving alongside each other. Would also love to see the "door tech" that allows doors to open/close to be added to Ops, so that the station office is closed, but when players/NPCs approach the door, they open. Currently, those doors are permanently open. Also missing a possible "Operations Chief" stationed in ops, with the posibility of repairing your ship(s).

Would also love to see a bit of re-arranging of common NPCs on the station, and the addition of a few well known locales. Currently, the "Chief Medical Officer" is standing at the center of what appears to be a large cargo-bay. I would like to see this npc be moved to a new (and missing) locale, at the Infirmary. Wouldn't mind seeing the addition of the Security Office and accompanying holding area, if even just for RP reasons.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2652 on: January 15, 2012, 02:20:28 AM »
they also need to fix the Ops "pool" table texture. And replace the Dabo table model in Quarks with the superior one used on Drozana station. (well its not that much different, the one on Drozana station actually has the wheel textured)

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2653 on: January 15, 2012, 02:22:03 AM »
You're making the assumption that all three captains are for DS9.  The other two may be captains of ships assigned at DS9.  Considering by this point that the relevance of DS9 should be known to the quadrant, I'm surprised an admiral isn't running the place with at least half a dozen captains stationed there with their own ships.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2654 on: January 15, 2012, 02:44:46 AM »
Maybe Kurland doesn't sit at the desk out of respect for The Emissary?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2655 on: January 15, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »
They did some good job on redoing the textures of ds9. But i only hate that everything is so big (corridors) in the ships, stations, etc. I had a defiant class in the early days and i walked in the corridors and the messhall was just huge, i mean you could park a galaxy class in that messhall! Also the corridors where just hundreds of hundreds meters long and ten metres in height.

Just doing some foundry missions (almost better if not, than the original missions)

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2656 on: January 15, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
But i only hate that everything is so big (corridors) in the ships, stations, etc. I had a defiant class in the early days and i walked in the corridors and the messhall was just huge, i mean you could park a galaxy class in that messhall! Also the corridors where just hundreds of hundreds meters long and ten metres in height.

I feel the same way; apparently they're going to get around to that eventually, scale things down to a similar size to the TOS interior (which is smexy BTW)

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2657 on: January 15, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
Part of the original deal with that was there was supposed to be instances where you'd have to fight inside the ship, but that never came to be, as far as I know.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2658 on: January 15, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
I don't blame them for the big sets.  Hardcore MMO players usually zoom really far out so they can see all the action and all the enemies.  Can't do that if the ceiling is 3 meters high.

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2659 on: January 15, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
True but still, they even tried to make it almost an fps ! (with the x button you could manually target etc) but no one is almost using it.

Btw, it appeared that on the forums stahl said he would make 10 series in a year. It seems that the post is nowhere to be found these days  :D