Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 169159 times)

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2700 on: January 17, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »
heh, I've been working up my new Gorn TO, just got to rank of captain. I just wish that the Caitian would get same amount of update to the looks.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #2701 on: January 18, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
Just downloaded the client, now ive got to download the patches...  :hithead:

Scratch that il go somewhere where the internet is fast.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #2702 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
Tempted.  Sod it, I'm signing up for the FTP now!
I miss :bigdance:

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2703 on: January 18, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
Just got a message two hours ago from a mate who signed up for the f2p.

"Hey sov, is this star trek offline or online? Again maintenaince!!"

I lolled. Damn they do maintenance everyday..

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #2704 on: January 18, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
If you new chaps want to join a fleet, a lot of us BC'ers are already on Ninth Fleet.  We've been through a lull in activity the past year, and this is as good an opportunity as any for us to grow. :thumbsup:

http://9thfleet.com/forums/index.php

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2705 on: January 18, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
If you new chaps want to join a fleet, a lot of us BC'ers are already on Ninth Fleet.  We've been through a lull in activity the past year, and this is as good an opportunity as any for us to grow. :thumbsup:

http://9thfleet.com/forums/index.php

Nah, but thanks for the offer though!
I'd prefer some time on my own for a while just while I learn the basic controls etc.  But if I see any of your guys I'll be sure to help them out/avoid shooting them :D

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2706 on: January 18, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
Just got a message two hours ago from a mate who signed up for the f2p.

"Hey sov, is this star trek offline or online? Again maintenaince!!"

I lolled. Damn they do maintenance everyday..

there will probably be a few maintenance cycles the first couple weeks of F2P, because they haven't had this many people on in a long time.  I remember the same thing after launch.  But once things settle down it'll probably get back to normal, they usually only bring it down for maintenance once or twice a week.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2707 on: January 18, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »
Ok, finally I have a... semi-definite number on how many people are on the STO team; in the latest Podcast UGC episode, Al Rivera (Captain Gecko) stated that the STO team comprises of "around 25" individuals. "Four or five" of which are content designers, I.e. people who make the Featured Episodes.

Apparently it takes five to six weeks to make ONE Featured Episode. Some Foundry missions take along the same time, to months to be released. A large number of Foundry missions are also continually updated.

I forget WHY I'm posting this but YEAH...
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2708 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:49 AM »
Is there visible damage in this game? What about collisions? I really don't want to be playing star trek legacy but online!

EDIT

Holy grizz! 439MB of patch? What is this? A complete OS?

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #2709 on: January 19, 2012, 07:59:22 AM »
Is there visible damage in this game? What about collisions? I really don't want to be playing star trek legacy but online!

EDIT

There is damage on your ships if your hull gets damaged (75 - 50 -25 -0 percent) but no collisions.. Only if you say 'collision course"

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2710 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »

EDIT

Considering most modern day OS:s take anywhere from 15-20 GB of harddrive space, i'm assuming your numbers are a bit off :)
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2711 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
Considering most modern day OS:s take anywhere from 15-20 GB of harddrive space, i'm assuming your numbers are a bit off :)

Where did I say "modern OS"? :P

Quote from: captain_obvious on Today at 12:01:49

EDIT

There is damage on your ships if your hull gets damaged (75 - 50 -25 -0 percent) but no collisions.. Only if you say 'collision course"

Well that sucks.
You know what my first few thoughts were? "F**k me that's a big bridge for a frigate". "F**k me that's one HUUUUGE transporter room!" and "F**k me that is one ugly arse ship"

Graphics are nowhere near as bad as I feared though.  They're pretty good actually.

Oh and btw my handle on there is "captainoblivious". Captain Obvious was already taken  :banghead:

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2712 on: January 19, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
The graphics of STO is not bad at all actually... But the level of quality to both the ships (and their sizes), and for obvious reasons, the -lack- of quality to the ship interiors, is incredibly inferior, and needs to be dealt with. I love having big ships and all, but I don't want to run through several hundred meters of corridor to get from the turbolift to the mess hall :P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2713 on: January 19, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
you know if you set the interior to the small layout in the ship tailor there's a lot less corridor.  Early on they said they had to have the huge interiors in order to make room for the cameras, as well as making room for combat in the sets.  Some of the newer interiors, like the TOS and the soon to be released Defiant, are much smaller, as they've since improved the tech.  My understanding was that Gecko hasn't had enough time to revisit the older interiors.

The game itself is a few gigs, so large patches aren't unusual, especially after major season updates.  The ship graphics, as well as damage are about the same as SFC III.  As it was explained, they aren't going for the kind of realism you can get in sim games like Bridge Commander.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #2714 on: January 19, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
I think the graphics look excellent!

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2715 on: January 19, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Another quirk that irks me. When you are beamed your character reverts back to the default state as he/she de materializes.  
It's not fun losing your man-tache every few minutes!

Oh ffs another 100mb of patch! I was last on it just a few hours ago..

Nice to see they're still working on it though  :yay:

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2716 on: January 19, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »
honestly, it was the stadium-sized bridges and other interiors which turned me off about the game from the very beginning...  i understand why they felt they had to do that, but it just doesnt feel right to me at all...
granted, i have never played the game, but i just cant seem to be able to look past that...

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2717 on: January 19, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
the beaming bug is because of the way transmaps are handled, unfortunately the character's rank and hair use them and when you beam, the transmap of the transporter effect interferes with them.  It's probably not very likely that this will be fixed any time soon, I've actually noticed this in quite a few games, IIRC, even Bridge Commander does this, it's just hard to see because we don't use very many transmaps in that game.

By the way, if you enable On-Demand Patching in the launcher's options menu, it will cut down on patch times because that lets the game download stuff as it's needed instead of all at once.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2718 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »
By the way, if you enable On-Demand Patching in the launcher's options menu, it will cut down on patch times because that lets the game download stuff as it's needed instead of all at once.

I have and I'm still getting sh$tloads of patches.  Not that I'm complaining of course, it's always nice to see lots of patches when they're needed!
I've just got past that mission in the first ep called "hide & seek". 
I think I did well in my itty bitty little miranda up against all those gorn ships  :dance

If you see a miranda with the nacelles of a centaur that's probably me.  If it's called "Swiftsure" and it's commanded by James Thomas Kirk then that is definitely me!
And yes James Thomas Kirk has spent most of his life explaining to people that he is not that Kirk.   :D

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2719 on: January 19, 2012, 10:45:44 PM »
than again, the benefit of not enabling on demand patching is that you patch once and you're done.  unless it's a really huge patch, I usually just start it and get a cup of coffee, by the time I come back to the PC, it's done.