Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167677 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2740 on: January 21, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »
not normally, I might be the sheer influx of new people. Maintenance usually only gets this bad after a big release.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #2741 on: January 21, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »
Ie Free to play :D
I miss :bigdance:

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2742 on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
Yeah, one time i was able to kill vger euh i mean bger.. It was at 84% and suddenly it went boom...

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2743 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
umm you can fast travel... just only to particular places. About maintenance.... expect it a lot after each big patch, Should be smooth sailing after a week or so. 
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2744 on: January 21, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »
umm you can fast travel... just only to particular places. About maintenance.... expect it a lot after each big patch, Should be smooth sailing after a week or so. 

Odd. My transwarp only takes me to earth and earth is pretty much the furthest point away from... everything.
Some fast travel!

So how do I go about unlocking other places on the transwarp net?

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2745 on: January 21, 2012, 12:01:41 PM »
Considering that they've just gone to F2P and probably have more players than they thought they'd get, they probably have to keep working on it.  I'd guess.

And V'ger?  That's not that hard.  Not that I noticed anyways.  Taken it down twice.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #2746 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »
That JJPrise thing is only similar.  You can tell because the pylons are wrong.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2747 on: January 21, 2012, 02:09:07 PM »
Is anyone else having major problems with lag and connection drops from STO? I've been killed 3 times tonight thanks to connection dropouts!

I hope it's on my end..

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2748 on: January 21, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »
You can fast travel to mission start locations, for energy credits.

Regarding more 'permanent' Transwarp unlocks, as you progress through Diplomatic ranks (Now only visible in the DOff panel, dunno why), you get Transwarp powers to K7, Starbase 39, DS9 and possibly one more but I forget.

At least it doesn't take as long to travel in STO as it does in Skyrim. I've heard rumours that when we do finally get "One sector space to rule them all" the size will be increased, however the speed may be ramped up to match. I'm in support of either, because it would mean bumping into less people, and right now warp speeds feel... slow (But better than before sector space was revamped).
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2749 on: January 21, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
Well, I've figured out that it's more than likely traffic shaping by talktalk on my end.
My ping was never the issue according to the tests I've run (pingtest.net gives me an A grade and speedtest.net is giving me relatively normal bandwidth scores both up and down)  and I'm still getting horrible horrible rubber banding and drop outs.  Their nettest program is giving me sub 100Kbps throughput scores on all the ports STO will use!
No wonder I'm lagging like hell!

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #2750 on: January 21, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Well, I've figured out that it's more than likely traffic shaping by talktalk on my end.
My ping was never the issue according to the tests I've run (pingtest.net gives me an A grade and speedtest.net is giving me relatively normal bandwidth scores both up and down)  and I'm still getting horrible horrible rubber banding and drop outs.  Their nettest program is giving me sub 100Kbps throughput scores on all the ports STO will use!
No wonder I'm lagging like hell!

You have Talk Talk? Ive had so much trouble with them we eventully up sticks and went to BT for a cheaper Internet and calls package.  :D Far faster but my ancient copper cables are knackerd and we dont get fibre optic till 2014. 

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2751 on: January 21, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
You can fast travel to mission start locations, for energy credits.

Regarding more 'permanent' Transwarp unlocks, as you progress through Diplomatic ranks (Now only visible in the DOff panel, dunno why), you get Transwarp powers to K7, Starbase 39, DS9 and possibly one more but I forget.

At least it doesn't take as long to travel in STO as it does in Skyrim. I've heard rumours that when we do finally get "One sector space to rule them all" the size will be increased, however the speed may be ramped up to match. I'm in support of either, because it would mean bumping into less people, and right now warp speeds feel... slow (But better than before sector space was revamped).

If you pick up the "Driver Coil" skill, the higher the rank, the faster your maximum speed will be in "Sector Space". Using the Borg Engine (Warp 14 bonus), and having the Driver Coil skill, I actually travel well above Warp 18 in Sector Space. The Driver Coil skill also increases the maximum speed achieved using the Quantum Slipstream drive (temp ability).
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2752 on: January 22, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
I have to say that it seems like they raised the rank requirements for the Borg missions.  Before F2P, I was on a mission, but when I came back, obviously it kicked me out of the mission for being gone so long, but I could no longer access the mission. :lostit:

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #2753 on: January 22, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »
You have Talk Talk? Ive had so much trouble with them we eventully up sticks and went to BT for a cheaper Internet and calls package.  :D Far faster but my ancient copper cables are knackerd and we dont get fibre optic till 2014. 

Aol actually but they're talktalk nowadays!  I've been having words with the parents and trying to make them see sense.  Hell I've even told my dad I will PAY HIM to get us the hell away from AOL/TALKTALK!  I've also put the idea forward that I be the one in charge of the tech side of things seeing how useless my dad* is and my mum doesn't really want to know about it**.

I've heard some good things about these guys though http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband.html

This is the reviews site I've been looking at. Came highly recommended by some old friends of mine. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

*Worse, he thinks he knows tech best but to him colour TV is still a new fangled thing!
**It's really down to her not wanting the hassle.  She's "had enough stress for 62 years" is what she says! :D

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2754 on: January 22, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
I have to say that it seems like they raised the rank requirements for the Borg missions.  Before F2P, I was on a mission, but when I came back, obviously it kicked me out of the mission for being gone so long, but I could no longer access the mission. :lostit:

Which mission?
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2755 on: January 22, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
if you mean the STFs, they're now accessible through the PvE Queues, instead of through a mission giver.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2756 on: January 22, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
Which mission?

I believe it was either Collateral Damage or Asset Recovery.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #2757 on: January 22, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
Aol actually but they're talktalk nowadays!  I've been having words with the parents and trying to make them see sense.  Hell I've even told my dad I will PAY HIM to get us the hell away from AOL/TALKTALK!  I've also put the idea forward that I be the one in charge of the tech side of things seeing how useless my dad* is and my mum doesn't really want to know about it**.

I've heard some good things about these guys though http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband.html

This is the reviews site I've been looking at. Came highly recommended by some old friends of mine. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

*Worse, he thinks he knows tech best but to him colour TV is still a new fangled thing!
**It's really down to her not wanting the hassle.  She's "had enough stress for 62 years" is what she says! :D

The Talk Talk empire took over Tiscali when we were with them it was a day of dissapointment. There good sites too may have to look. :D

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2758 on: January 23, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »
If you pick up the "Driver Coil" skill, the higher the rank, the faster your maximum speed will be in "Sector Space". Using the Borg Engine (Warp 14 bonus), and having the Driver Coil skill, I actually travel well above Warp 18 in Sector Space. The Driver Coil skill also increases the maximum speed achieved using the Quantum Slipstream drive (temp ability).

Why would you need to go faster than warp 20? Is there another galaxy you're trying to get to? :D
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2759 on: January 23, 2012, 01:53:44 AM »
Why would you need to go faster than warp 20? Is there another galaxy you're trying to get to? :D

Not at all :D

But the skill certainly helps for travel speed, cutting down the time to go from place to place. Especially during a "Tour of the Galaxy" event.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera