Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167679 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #3120 on: March 11, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
I didn't have any problems with the puzzles.  I did bug myself though.  Did a dumb thing by trying to go through the forcefield into the Promenade, but had to wait for the Jem'Hadar to kill me.

I liked that the Enterprise showed up, and they did show the new Odyssey bridge.

Also, I noticed today, the camera for my Odyssey-class was too far away at maximum magnification.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #3121 on: March 11, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »
I didn't have any problems with the puzzles.  I did bug myself though.  Did a dumb thing by trying to go through the forcefield into the Promenade, but had to wait for the Jem'Hadar to kill me.

I liked that the Enterprise showed up, and they did show the new Odyssey bridge.

Also, I noticed today, the camera for my Odyssey-class was too far away at maximum magnification.

That final battle was nuts.  It was like I had maxed out my aggro magnet skill.  I spawn and *BOOM* I have no less than 2 dozen jem hadar ships on me.  I came very very close to being taken out and that was with the tanking powers I have as a VA engineer!

Nice bug with those shields though :D
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #3122 on: March 11, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
Bug with what shields?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3123 on: March 11, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
The jem hadar shields.  The devs copy and pasted code straight from the duty officer "brace for impact" buff (I.e. 20% chance of Massive shield regen and similarly massive damage resistance).  Problem is it kicks in each time a shield is hit by a bolt (not per "round") without any action needed from the player.  Oh and it stacks.  And the odds of it are more like 75%+ per bolt! Using that shield you can quite easily tank a tac cube or solo 3 raptors in a cruiser in pvp.   I've seen this buff stacking more than 1000 fold and at that amount of buff stacks the game starts to chug and stutter a lot for everyone in the area!  That many buffs = basically invincible you and lots of pissed off people.

Did I mention that it stacks?

http://imageshack.us/f/42/shielduzf.png/

Have a look at the healing numbers in that screenie  ;)
Just got back from tanking a cube in the delta flyer with these jem hadar shields.  Took a while!

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=260008
Here's one of the related threads!

Offline AdmiralKathryn

• Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Captain
« Reply #3124 on: March 11, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
I had a couple of bugs where Kurland is sitting in thin air on the Defiant bridge (CO seat is missing) and there was a similar bug on the Odyssey bridge too. Apart from that, the mission seemed to play ok for me.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3125 on: March 11, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
Did anyone else have problems with that mission? I absolutely hated that whole thing. Slow paced, bug ridden and badly thought out.  If they think I'm going to replay it to get the other rewards they are sorely mistaken!

I kept running into invisible walls, I was thrown up into the air seemingly at random and not to mention that stupid, aggravating pointless (and bugged) excuse for a puzzle!
That one puzzle (the first one to do with the sensors) had problems with the clues not matching the puzzle and when it reset because I'd gotten it wrong (again) it didn't just reset it also changed the layout everygoddamntime.  Did it update and change the clues? Nope not once.  It took me 30 mins to get luck and guess the puzzle. 
I am *not* playing that one again that's for sure! This game was great when I first played it when it went F2P but it's gone downhill *very* quickly.

Don't even mention "STF" and "loot" to me in the same paragraph.  I've had no tech or salvage of any kind in almost 2 weeks now it's *very* annoying when someone goes "oh no not *another* rare salvage/tech that I have no use for.".

I didn't have any issues with the puzzle resetting, I failed it a couple of times, but it never changed.  I never ran into any invisible walls either, but I didn't wander too far from the path they laid out during the EVA.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #3126 on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »

This appears to be an issue specifically with cruisers, but especially the Bortas and the Odyssey. And, according to Tumerboy, it appears to be intentional:

It was put in to address complaints about zooming in so far as to have your camera clip through parts of your ship.

The responsible party is exploring ways to make everyone happy.

Any time we change something, we do not know what players will complain about. This was done, by a dev, to address complaints he has seen. In his eyes (and anyone else involved's eyes), he was fixing a problem. He obviously didn't know (nor did any of us) that there would be a backlash over this. We do our best to guess at what you guys would like/not like, but the dissatisfied parties are always the ones we hear. We heard people dissatisfied with the zoom levels the way they were, so we changed them. No we hear from parties dissatisfied with the change. Neither party is going to comment to the positive when the change goes to their favor. (by and large)

The funny thing is, I don't remember EVER seeing or hearing any complaints about this "issue". Because it wasn't a friggin' issue.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #3127 on: March 13, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »
Intentional?!  That's not an issue!  If you don't want your camera clipping through the ship, then zoom out!!!

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3128 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »
Its changed in the next patch, it is not back to the original distance but its closer, I can read the name on my Odyssey's Saucer again.

This is how close you can get now. Close enough to fill the screen, but not close enough for the Camera to clip the Nacelles like it used to.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/469738043695140608/9335C47C98C27D5E84C2C46E70C37A692F2DCCFE/

The three new Odyssey/Bortas Variants are on tribble for testing as well.

Also ripped a hole in the space time continuum. I'm not sure what happened, one second I was minding my own business. Next thing I know we're doing this.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/469738043695142170/2516F87409A321FDC63872747A35C461CE45EB8F/

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #3129 on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
One would assume that the same method used in other games, to get the camera to auto-close in on your character, could be achieved similarly in STO.

If i'm standing in a corridor, rotate my camera, and the "camera" hits the wall, it will automatically zoom in tighter towards the character, instead of clipping straight through a wall. Once the camera is no longer obstructed by the wall, the camera automatically pans out again.

Why does this not work for starships as well? If you rotate the camera towards a point that "could cause" clipping, have the camera instead zoom out a bit. So that people who WANT to see things up close (without clipping) can still do so.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #3130 on: March 13, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »
Are they also fixing the bit where my smaller ships (i.e. my K't'inga, my Akira, etc.) disappear when you're zoomed all the way in and facing at the front?  :roll
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3131 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2922

Dev blog #31. 
Now they've piqued my interest in that ugly arse ship! I wonder how much it will be to buy all 3...

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #3132 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:03 PM »
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2922

Dev blog #31. 
Now they've piqued my interest in that ugly arse ship! I wonder how much it will be to buy all 3...

"All three Advanced Odyssey Cruisers will be available in the C-Store for individual sale (2000 Cryptic Points) or as a 3-pack bundle (4000 Cryptic Points)."

Says so, right in the dev blog.

Why buy one ship, when you can buy 3 and get 1 "free" ? (Sorry, passing on this. Only thing remotely interesting, was the bridge. With no custom interior.)
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #3133 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »
If it's available in June, I might get it then...with the moolah I get for my birthday. Teehee.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #3134 on: March 13, 2012, 11:53:14 PM »
Geez, 2000 points for a single ship?  That's a bit ridiculous.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3135 on: March 14, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »
Says so, right in the dev blog.

It was gone 0100 when I posted that, I was a little tired so give me a break will you? lol :D

4000 for the lot? Not many will be buying them one at a time methinks! 2000 each is nuts though.  I thought that 1600 for a ship was a bit much!

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #3136 on: March 14, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
yeah, and the ship slots would need to be bought as well.. either that or dismiss old workhorses.. :cry:
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #3137 on: March 14, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Which is why, I hate Cryptic for "short-changing" it's customers... For every ship purchased on the C-Store, there should be a free ship slot included. But noooo... they charge extra for that.

Oh and by the way... No new ships have been released in AGES, for ingame (non-Dilithium, non-Cpoints) currency. C-Store is the future of STO... And ultimately, the death of STO.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3138 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
The first version of the Odyssey was free during the anniversary event.

Also update on the Ship Camera issue.

The Camera has been some what redone, you can zoom in really close again to big ships and they also made it so you can zoom as close to shuttle as you can other ships.

with the changes Umberto made yesterday, you can now zoom back into giant ships as far as you could before. PLUS you can zoom in even FARTHER on smaller ships than ever before. PLUS, we can make even bigger ships (bigger than the Brotas or Odyssey) if we want, without breaking the camera.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #3139 on: March 14, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
Sweeeeet.  Now, they need to share the camera secrets with the BC community so we can try and fix BC's awful camera.

To Boldly Go...Again.