Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 168702 times)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #3780 on: January 31, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
My biggest gripe about STO, is that after 3 years, they STILL have major problems with the server(s) at launch of new events or major updates. One wonders what kind of incompetent personnel are working at Cryptic on their hardware infrastructure.

On a more positive note, I just played through the new "episode", and it was incredibly well done. I'd even go so far as to say it was near flawless. No bugs at all, from my experience. It was nice to see familiar characters both from canon lore, and STO lore. The view of the Ambassador Class while inside the mission map, was breath-taking.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #3781 on: January 31, 2013, 08:05:19 PM »
You heard about the recent 3000 player battle on EVE not so long ago? Their servers lagged, but didn't bat an eyelid.  Why can't STO stay usable with even a 10th of that?

Btw, AVOID the 'uniforms' given by the mission.  They are quite literally a belt and a sash.  Identical for both kdf and fed and what's worse they clip into the player model something awful, even if your toon is as skinny as the game allows.
Yes, the silver belt worn by the alt ent-d crew in yesterdays enterprise...

Damn good mission though. Loads of characters from STO lore turned up, although I wished they were all voiced rather than the 50/50 split they had of voiced/non-voiced.  It's fun watching someone shout "HEY YOU OVERGROWN SALTSHAKER! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE NOW!" at a tholian :D
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #3782 on: January 31, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
I would've preferred if the 'Yesterdays Enterprise' uniforms were either;

- Alternate TNG uniforms (black sleeve cuffs, higher black collar, gold/silver belt with optional chest strap)
- Alternate "Wrath of Khan" uniform (no undershirt, allow all rank insignia)

I think they went pretty cheap on the "uniform" since it still uses the same TNG uniforms we've had all along. Alot of people got confused (myself included), since we didn't see any new uniforms "per se". Low and behold, we are told that we should look under "Chest Gear" and "Belt". In my book, those are ACCESSORIES, not full blown UNIFORMS.

The chest strap/belt would be nice if they added the same gold/silver coloring options that rank insignia/com badges have. But i'm still a bit put off by not having the TRUE alternate uniform style that was used in the episode.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #3783 on: January 31, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »
Damn good mission though. Loads of characters from STO lore turned up, although I wished they were all voiced rather than the 50/50 split they had of voiced/non-voiced.  It's fun watching someone shout "HEY YOU OVERGROWN SALTSHAKER! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE NOW!" at a tholian :D

The only ones who weren't voiced were you and your bridge officers.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #3784 on: February 01, 2013, 02:05:48 AM »
So I started in on it again, and got my main decked out with his Ambassador (absolute beauty...I named her for my great-grandfather, he died last month - his birthday was this last Tuesday), and am now working on getting the Kamarag with my KE. And then repeating the process four more times for my alts, just for shits and giggles. *grins*

Question, though: Does anyone have a fleet that 1)doesn't have a nitpicky recruiting process, and 2)doesn't mind a guy with an attention span that occasionally wanders outside of STO for extended periods?
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline FarShot

« Reply #3785 on: February 01, 2013, 02:32:26 AM »
Join the Ninth Fleet, I'm the executive officer of our STO Division. ;)

http://9thfleet.com/forums/index.php

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #3786 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:33 AM »
App posted. And by the by, did anyone else hear "Stealing the Enterprise" in their heads when they took the C for a spin?
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3787 on: February 01, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »
The only ones who weren't voiced were you and your bridge officers.

Nope, I'm pretty sure that a lot of the characters didn't have voices.  I've run it twice since yesterday on other toons and many of the characters aren't voiced.  Thing is, it seems to be changing every time.  First time out, Farek, Shon, B'vat and a couple others were mute.  2nd time around it was a different bunch and this last time it changed again.

Also, the boffs used in the mission aren't being loaded properly.  The names are the same, but species and sex wise, they're being randomized. 

Btw, I've inherited a KDF fleet.  Anyone want a fleet to house their KDF toon? 

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #3788 on: February 01, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
Depends, Cap'n O, do we have to build the frigging starbase and all the support structures for it? :D

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3789 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:53 AM »
Nope, I'm pretty sure that a lot of the characters didn't have voices.  I've run it twice since yesterday on other toons and many of the characters aren't voiced.  Thing is, it seems to be changing every time.  First time out, Farek, Shon, B'vat and a couple others were mute.  2nd time around it was a different bunch and this last time it changed again.

Your game must have bugged then, I heard all the voices.

Today's Friday Screenshot just a picture of the of the May 2013 teaser Page, but it is captioned "Will you march?"

http://sto.perfectworld.com/media/screenshots

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #3790 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
That raptor had better have a pretty impressive goddamn wingspan, if what I suspect is true - or it'll be KDF 2.0.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3791 on: February 01, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
If it is a faction, I thinking it will be some sort of 'mini faction'

Not full fledged, but a distraction from the other two.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #3792 on: February 01, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
I suspect that they'll be implementing more reputations for the Romulan faction to counterbalance the lack of story content.  They always talked about extending that system to the entire game rather than endgame, so a new faction would be a good proving ground for that.

Offline darth5ava63

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #3793 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
It's the return of Sela. Not a faction, think about it who has a voice now.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #3794 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
The part about "marching under the Raptor's wings" makes me think it's a faction though.  Sounds to me like it's saying "join the U.S. Army" or "fight for Kahless".

Offline darth5ava63

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #3795 on: February 01, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »
Or help the romulans stop that crazy b*tch ?

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3796 on: February 01, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
Some Sela Lines recorded by Denise have been found in the game files, if you don't want spoilers, don't listen.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #3797 on: February 01, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
Demons of Air and Darkness... Iconians???
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3798 on: February 01, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
Btw, dan did a Q&A tonight after the server outage.  (during the outage, tribble was up and drozhana had a MASSIVE invasion of 30 foot tall critters!)

Anyway, I would like to propose that we write a group email to him with as many questions as we can dream up.  I suggest we write it and ALL of us send copies to his email address (Noting that we have done so).  I propose that we post it both here and on the STO forums when we actually send it to draw up maximum attention.  

DSTAHL@CRYPTICSTUDIOS.COM is the email address he gave us.

BTW Darkie, nice seeing you there! Stahl left about 5 mins after you did, but said nothing of value. 

His comment on "Kdf trolls" concerns me however, it betrays his contempt for the KDF. 
He also nixed any kind of "bugfix and housecleaning" season.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #3799 on: February 01, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »
I believe his comment on "KDF trolls" is in regards to people who simply complain that KDF will never get fixed. You may have noticed, he answered several KDF-related questions, with some decent responses. But the real "meat and potatoes" of the answers, are as usual hidden behind the typical "We have plans, but we can't reveal them yet...". That may in large part be due to his previous behavior where he revealed big plans in great detail (the old "Engineering Report" posts), and as expected, many players were ultimately disappointed when said plans didn't pan out.

A more balanced approach is certainly the way to go, but I still would like to hear concrete answers to some of the many KDF-related questions people have been having. I noticed several in chat who quite simply said "Give it a rest already!". Problem with that is, KDF players have been waiting for 3 years. As Archer said to the Vulcans; "How much longer?"

They have a great resource, called 'The Foundry'. Add additional props appropriate for Klingon maps, and make the map design tools (click-and-place room layouts) as well as populating rooms with appropriate enemies and props, and you'll have a dynamite method for user generated KDF missions. Add 20 or so of the "best" KDF missions, adapted for the games storyline, and BOOM, there you have your level 1-20 content for KDF. The reason KDF isn't played as much as FED, is because players have to FIRST level to 20 (or is it 25?!?) on FED side, before being able to start a level 20 KDF character. If players could start a new KDF character at Level 1, with full PVE progression from 1 through 50, more players would play it. They need to take a "If you build it, they will come" approach to fixing the KDF. Rather than the current "If they come, we will build it."

I'll be going through the posted transcripts at the STO forums, and compile an extensive email with both suggestions and questions regarding STO. As Executive Producer, Mr Stahl is certainly the right person to post suggestions to, as he can both forward those suggestions to the related team members, and okay/nix the suggestion if deemed necessary.
Ad Astra Per Aspera