Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167665 times)

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #3960 on: April 05, 2013, 07:07:31 PM »
Torpedo boats would annihilate the Borg if they didn't have shields.  And the Borg shields were namedropped on rare occasion, I don't remember an exact episode though.  It looks canon enough for me since they removed shield FX from Borg ships.

Same here.  I have no problem with the borg having shields.

EDIT: Cubes and tractor probes do in fact hit you with shield-drain torpedoes.

Those shield neutralisers are torpedoes? I thought they were a power that were cast like how weapon malfunction is on the ground.
I miss :bigdance:

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3961 on: April 07, 2013, 02:39:45 AM »
in the game, I think the shield drainer is considered a power, but strictly speaking, in terms of the game engine, all weapons are powers too.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3962 on: April 09, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »
Some of you might like this

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9141411&postcount=1

The glass background has been removed from the bridge officer tray.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3963 on: April 10, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
Another new patch, sneak peak at the new Klingon Missions, don't think you can play them yet, but they're in the mission journal if you want to see them.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3964 on: April 11, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
Some of you might like this

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9141411&postcount=1

Good.  It doesn't fix the UI in my eyes, but it's a step back towards what we currently have on holodeck.  They really need to get those colour schemes sorted so we can have a scheme that isn't quite so jarring on the eyes.  Bright yellow/green buttons on dark/black background is hell on my eyes.  

I like how they've buffed the emergency power abilities though.  epa, epw and epe should be much more useful now!

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #3965 on: April 11, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
I think the big issue with the "new UI" (which is essentially just a new paint job), is that they use alot of black, in places where we currently have transparent areas. If they could find a middle ground between fully transparent, and solid black, that might be okay.

Really wish the new UI dealt with solving the overall lag issues of the UI. The new UI does absolutely NOTHING to fix this.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3966 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
I think the big issue with the "new UI" (which is essentially just a new paint job), is that they use alot of black, in places where we currently have transparent areas. If they could find a middle ground between fully transparent, and solid black, that might be okay.

The black doesn't help, but the real problem is all the bright, jarring colours that have been introduced.  I find the current blue scheme to be very easy on the eyes.  I have trouble playing the game with the new colour schemes for more than a few minutes.  After that, I just have to log off and play something else as I just can't look at it any more.  The orion scheme is the least worst of the new ones imo.

Really wish the new UI dealt with solving the overall lag issues of the UI. The new UI does absolutely NOTHING to fix this.

That too.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3967 on: April 11, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
New Devblog, just story stuff on Sela, but not anything new if you've followed the story from the begining

http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=863431

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #3968 on: April 11, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
I was always of the impression that Sela and the Tal Shiar were at odds. It seems a tad of rewriting is going on here (not surprising), but perhaps I may have misinterpreted how things were played out in Cloaked Intentions...it's been a while, after all.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3969 on: April 12, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
Here is a screen of the current Klingon Mission Journal on Tribble, obvious all is subject to change, and the mission images are placeholders, and none of the new missions are available for testing, except for one.

Empire Tab is what you see here,

"Warzone" consists of "Bringing Down the House" and "The House Always Wins", a new mission called "Test Your Mettle" which you get after acquiring your Lt. Cmdr ship, part of the House of Torg story arc, which you can test right now. After that its "Second Star to the Right" and "Keep your Enemies Closer"

"The Fek'lhri Return" is obvious.

"Vigilance" Consists of two new missions "A House Perused" and "House on Fire", plus the mission "Alpha" and "Temporal Ambassador"

"Wasteland" is the new Nimbus V adventure zone, 6 missions.

"Romulan Mystery" is the Romulan FE series

"Spectres" is the Dividians

"Dominion Domination" Consists of 8 previously Fed only Cardassian/True Way missions, plus the Dominion FE series.

"The Collective" are the End Game Borg Missions.

"Breen Invasion" is the Breen FE

"Undine Advance" are the end game Undine missions.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3970 on: April 12, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
I'm in love with the TNG-colored UI, it's so easy on the eyes, beautiful to use, and viscerally Trek.  It makes me sad every time I leave Tribble to go do Holodeck things.

(On the opposite end of the spectrum, Voyager.   :lostit:)
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3971 on: April 12, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »
I don't get how people can stand looking at that new UI for more than a few minutes :lostit:

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3972 on: April 12, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »
I don't get how people can stand looking at that new UI for more than a few minutes :lostit:

I don't get how people can't stand looking at the new UI.

New tribble patch

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9197281&postcount=1

UI Changes

Slightly increased the size of the icons on the power tray.
    Significantly darkened the border around icons on the power tray.
    Reduced the space between power icons.
        As a result, the overall size of the power trays for both ground and space has been decreased.
Updated the UI for smaller screens to eliminate some deadspace between elements.
Significantly reduced aliasing on several button types.

Character Selection Screen now shows your current away team selections

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3973 on: April 13, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
I don't get how people can't stand looking at the new UI.

I think it's eye strain.  Having lots of pretty colours is all well and good, but when it becomes painful after a few minutes it's rather annoying.

New tribble patch

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9197281&postcount=1

UI Changes

Slightly increased the size of the icons on the power tray.
    Significantly darkened the border around icons on the power tray.
    Reduced the space between power icons.
        As a result, the overall size of the power trays for both ground and space has been decreased.
Updated the UI for smaller screens to eliminate some deadspace between elements.
Significantly reduced aliasing on several button types.

Brilliant!  I'll have to check this out later, but it sounds like part of what was needed.

Character Selection Screen now shows your current away team selections

Still not feeling the whole "star field" back ground thing.  I think it looks a bit ridiculous tbh, especially with the red "flames" there.  I much prefer the background the character creation screen has, where you're on a station and your ship is in the background.  It's been echoed a few times on the forums.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3974 on: April 15, 2013, 10:46:13 PM »
I think I'd prefer a return to the transporter pad.  The beam out effect would make sense and you could still have your away team.  Slick uniforms by the way Kori.  Mine are grey but I may have to steal some of your ideas.

(I should have said borrow...)
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3975 on: April 16, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
I think I'd prefer a return to the transporter pad.  The beam out effect would make sense and you could still have your away team.  Slick uniforms by the way Kori.  Mine are grey but I may have to steal some of your ideas.

(I should have said borrow...)

Yeah I love those Fleet Base Uniforms.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #3976 on: April 16, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
Supposedly, the Character Select screen on Tribble should look something like this, when they get around to finishing the updates:

My biggest issue at the Character Select screen atm, is the glaring red beam of light that blocks out most of my captain/away team faces, as well as it showing my shuttlecraft in the background, instead of my active starship. Fix those two problems, and it would be a major step in the right direction.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #3977 on: April 16, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
I notice that too, sometimes, with the game on the main servers - it keeps saying I'm flying my shuttle, but I log in, it's my main ship. Stupid.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #3978 on: April 16, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
New Tribble notes for today:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=622061

Notable changes:
- Made the edges of HUD elements slightly more visible.
- Made the backgrounds of large UI Windows completely opaque. (This affects Duty Officers, Contacts, Status, etc.)
- Made UI HUD element backgrounds slightly transparent. (This affects the power tray, shield tray, target window, throttle, weapon tray, etc.)
- Made some visual improvements to the Bridge Officer tray.

But the biggest change (which I hope has the biggest impact), is:
- Significantly reduced memory footprint of UI windows.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3979 on: April 16, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
Supposedly, the Character Select screen on Tribble should look something like this, when they get around to finishing the updates:

My biggest issue at the Character Select screen atm, is the glaring red beam of light that blocks out most of my captain/away team faces, as well as it showing my shuttlecraft in the background, instead of my active starship. Fix those two problems, and it would be a major step in the right direction.

Well it said "Concept Art". I wouldn't except it to be 100% the same.