Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167631 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #4100 on: May 21, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
Well character slot doesn't bother me because I only have 3 toons, 1 Klingon, 1 Reman and 1 Fed

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #4101 on: May 21, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
Oh come one, how come some people can login and not others? My dad can login fine :|

I got in fine - ten minutes before it said the servers were supposed to come back up, funny enough, heh - and played for a couple hours...it's getting back in now, that's the problem.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline BFGfreak

• Cookies: 3
    • My Twitch.TV livestreaming channel
« Reply #4102 on: May 21, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
I managed to do good until I tried getting into one of the sectors when I randomly quit to login screen. I haven't managed to get back since.

That seems to be popular, I notice; I've been testing the demo, and it's been a barrel of laughs, heh. To quote a WoW boss: "EXPLOSIONS! MORE EXPLOSIONS! I GOTTA HAVE MORE EXPLOSIONS!"

Oh it's beyond fun, I've put in more time in that game than I have in many AAA titles I have bought. KSP also has a really strong youtube presence as well, ranging from Scott Manley, to the more lighthearted Danny2462, to the just plain epic videos from StreetlampPro

In all, I highly recommend both buying the game and checking out those people.

Going back on topic, it would appear that the servers have gone down for emergency maintenance, no doubt to get more buckets of water to pour on the servers.
In the battle of ghosts vs robots, robots always win....except in anime.
-Sarge

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4103 on: May 21, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
As expected...

Launch day issues (as normal), first with the 6-hour long maintenance, followed by unplayable servers, followed by unscheduled extended maintenance (currently listed at 1.5 hours, might go longer)

I'd expect these sort of problems from a fresh-out-of-the-gate type MMO launch. But not at 3.5 years in. What kind of inept technicians do they have working over at Cryptic, really?

EDIT: Servers were supposed to be back online about 10 minutes ago (at time of this edit). And yes, while the servers were online at the time (maintenance was done earlier than expected), the game was nowhere near playable. When I decided to switch out of my main character, to create a new Romulan, the client locked up at "Retrieving character list". So much for maintenance fixing things... I'm off to bed. *sigh*
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #4104 on: May 22, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
Hey, I got my Rom to level 10 and ready to join the KDF fleet before all hell broke loose. Too bad I won't have any real time to enjoy it this week, I'm leaving for New Hampshire on Thursday and will be gone all weekend, heh...
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #4105 on: June 14, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »
Just signed up for this to see what all fuss is about, though can't say impressed so far  :D

Can anyone recommend a good beginners guide/website/video?

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #4106 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »
I recently stopped playing that game.  Maybe for good, maybe for just a few weeks.  I just can't get over the fact that I was bored by the game, it just doesn't excite me anymore.
Lurok, I think you started playing at a bad time, what with the automated ban machine doing the rounds slapping people with account wide bans for saying the wrong things.

Not to mention that my fleet ambo went from being awesome to suddenly being well below par and underpowered literally overnight. 

Meh, maybe in a month or two.
I miss :bigdance:

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #4107 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »
I recently stopped playing that game.  Maybe for good, maybe for just a few weeks.  I just can't get over the fact that I was bored by the game, it just doesn't excite me anymore...

i was like that with the game too... im glad (not trying take the ***s) i waited for it to be free to play.

not detailed exploration missions or Engineering stuff and i much prefer BC's combat :D
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4108 on: June 14, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
So earlier this week, I don't know when, A tribble patch accidentally leaked a new Risa map, and a 'summer event' tied to the event reputation, they quickly patched it that night.

What I know from a friend who got on there.

Risa is bigger

One of the event challenges is a race, but using gliders. Yes you heard me. Gliders.

If you collect 1000 'Lohlunat' pearls you can do a Reputation mission that gives you a 'Risian Corvette' have no idea what it looks like.

There is also an item called a "Lohlunat Favour" which is you use in a rep mission to get a token for a prize vendor.

A lot of the stuff was a place holder, including the glider which didn't even have a model, just a white cube.

Also, on tribble right now. Per-Character UI Schemes! So once the current patch goes live, you won't have to switch colour schemes each time you change your character.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #4109 on: June 15, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
So they did another one of their wonderful giveaways...TROLOLOLOLOL

The guy was called Towelliee, and I have to say, he is probably the most idiotic person I have ever seen at the helm of a starship in STO. He didn't even read or listen to the tutorials, and then spent two hours blundering through the starter levels for the Roms and asking "well, how do I do this, how do I do that". And on top of it, he's apparently known as a bigoted piece of crap. Double bonus.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4110 on: June 15, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
So they did another one of their wonderful giveaways...TROLOLOLOLOL
Oh? Was it the old "buy three ship modules and we'll throw in the fourth"?

The guy was called Towelliee, and I have to say, he is probably the most idiotic person I have ever seen at the helm of a starship in STO. He didn't even read or listen to the tutorials, and then spent two hours blundering through the starter levels for the Roms and asking "well, how do I do this, how do I do that". And on top of it, he's apparently known as a bigoted piece of crap. Double bonus.

My guess is, you got trolled.

And I quote
TROLOLOLOLOL

:D

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #4111 on: June 15, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »
No, they were giving away Legacy/Starter Packs. And this "Towelliee" is apparently a live-stream celebrity, though known for using quite a bit of gay-bashing language. (Which got people all in a tizzy on STO's forums, but Cryptic's CMs said - and I quote - "he has not used that language in a while". Which means bigotry can be cured! Woo!)

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4112 on: June 16, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
No, they were giving away Legacy/Starter Packs.

W.T.F.  I went and sold out (bought it) for ?50.  Wasn't a bad price for the Legacy pack :D
But seriously? They were giving them away?! For everyone?! That can't be right...

And this "Towelliee" is apparently a live-stream celebrity, though known for using quite a bit of gay-bashing language. (Which got people all in a tizzy on STO's forums, but Cryptic's CMs said - and I quote - "he has not used that language in a while". Which means bigotry can be cured! Woo!)
Never heard of him.  But it sounds to me that someone wants a bit of attention to be drawn to the game. 

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #4113 on: June 16, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
Never heard of him.  But it sounds to me that someone wants a bit of attention to be drawn to the game. 

I hadn't heard of him either...and if what most of the people said about him is true, they could've picked a better spokesperson.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4114 on: June 21, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
4 new screenshots, all summer event related

http://sto.perfectworld.com/media/screenshots

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4115 on: June 22, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
This smacks of cryptic doing Damage control after that fiasco with the 'spokesperson' not so long ago.
If it goes well for them, then great.  Me? I don't care for the flashy shit.  Gay? Straight? It doesn't bother me either way.  What does bother me is this incessant need to show off and be politically correct! We have a game to play after all! People being gay or straight doesn't make my fleet ambassador class turn any faster as far as I'm aware.
 I was under the impression the game was to have fun, not to make politicised statements that just creates discord and results in some people getting down. 

Am I just old fashioned and if I am, am I old fashioned in a good way or a bad way?

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #4116 on: June 23, 2013, 12:49:28 AM »
4 new screenshots, all summer event related

http://sto.perfectworld.com/media/screenshots

That Risian ship is pretty neat looking actually.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4117 on: June 23, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »
That Risian ship is pretty neat looking actually.

I forgot about that.  It does look rather snazzy doesn't it?

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #4118 on: June 23, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
I was under the impression the game was to have fun, not to make politicised statements that just creates discord and results in some people getting down.

Okay, you know what, I'm at wit's end as of RIGHT FRIGGING NOW with this topic. I have gay friends, and I support them without hesitation - but I do so because they are not constantly trying to bash my skull in with politics. Oh, I have opinions, certainly; I hope Prop 8 in California gets overturned, for example (I attended a wedding of two friends just before it passed). But I don't see the necessity of taking them into my video games.

It's why, in all honesty, I have never understood the apparent necessity of "gay guilds". Your sexual orientation should not have a bearing on your gameplay - and plus, given that the Internet is a cesspool of hate and idiocy, publicizing it just paints crosshairs on your forehead. I look at the homophobes and similar bigots the same way - you got an opinion, fine. Express it somewhere else, and play the fucking game. Period.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #4119 on: June 23, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
Don't blow this out of proportion guys.  It's a guest blog, written by a guest of a topic of their own choosing, in this case Star Trek's revolutionary steps towards depicting equality.  Opinions are fine.  It's when people have opinions on opinions on opinions that flame wars, hate mail, and the like all get started.

Let's move on and discuss the game.