Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 169184 times)

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #4160 on: July 06, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »
Last time I was mad about a Cryptic design was the Regent.  They've gotten much better.  Sure, they're not up to par with the modders here, but they do impose limits on themselves for the sake of maximum playability within the engine.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4161 on: July 06, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »
I agree, the Scimitar is a fine looking ship. But as long as Cruisers are "flying bricks" in STO, I won't invest any money or time in obtaining one.

I would prefer it, if when they release new ships to the store, that they release the ships with each component individually (ship, bridge, unique console) as well as a packaged-deal. For those who prefer to use other consoles, the special console is rather useless. For those who would rather use a different bridge, the ship-specific bridge is useless. For the Scimitar, the default Romulan bridge would suit quite nicely for those uninterested in using the Scimitar bridge.

Current:
Cost: 25 dollars (includes unique bridge* and console)

Proposal:
Bridge: 5-10 dollars
Ship: 15 dollars
Console: 5-10 dollars
All-in-one: 25 dollars

As shown above, buying all the parts at the same time would still yield a lower cost, and give Cryptic the same amount they do today. While those who are uninterested in one part or another, will come off slightly cheaper. "Micro" transactions appear to be a thing of the past, when the cost generally exceeds the cost of most MMO subscription-based fees. Not to mention, the ability to buy entire games for the same cost (used), or roughly double (new).

* Unique Bridges are not a guarantee. The Vesta Pack is still waiting on it's own bridge design, while both the Odyssey, Bortas'qu and Scimitar come with their own bridges.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #4162 on: July 09, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
New dev blog up, #30
I miss :bigdance:

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #4163 on: July 09, 2013, 07:57:03 PM »
Ooooh :D

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #4164 on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »
Romulan Vet ship and shuttle possibly revealed

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/08/captains-log-interview-with-star-trek-onlines-al-rivera-part/

File names for the pictures say 'Vet' in them.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4165 on: July 09, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
Seriously? They're making the canon Romulan science vessel, a veteran shuttle? Ugh...
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4166 on: July 10, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »
Seriously? They're making the canon Romulan science vessel, a veteran shuttle? Ugh...

If it was me in charge, I'd have made the scimitar the vet ship and this science boat at proper science vessel for the rommies.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4167 on: July 10, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »
One wonders if Cryptic has been taking PR lessons from Microsoft lately.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4168 on: July 11, 2013, 01:25:10 PM »
One wonders if Cryptic has been taking PR lessons from the North Korean government lately.

Fixed that for you.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4169 on: July 11, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
So, in other STO news...

Romulan TNG Uniform for 550 Zen: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=936351
Legacy of Romulus Tribble Reward: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=936381

Where shall I begin?

For starters, all players have the "First Contact" style TNG uniform unlocked from start, FOR FREE. It's been there since launch. KDF faction gets all of their variations of uniforms (both TOS and TNG), FOR FREE. Yet here we have one of the most recognizable uniforms for the Romulan faction, and it COSTS 550 Zen. (bolded for emphasis)

Next up, Tribble Testing Reward... It's fairly standard practice by Cryptic, to hand out a Tribble for any player who meets certain testing criteria. In the past, that has been to either achieve a certain character level on Tribble, play for a certain amount of time on Tribble etc. This time, they decide to hand out a Tribble Testing Reward to ALL players, regardless of if they actually logged onto Tribble. Players who tested the expansion content in closed beta, are also short-changed (no additional rewards).

Also, as expected, this Tribble awards 1 Nukara Mark per hour (Nukara Marks are used for advancing your Nukara Reputation, aka Tholian Reputation track). At 1 Mark per hour, you need to pet your poor Tribble every hour for atleast 10 hours, just to start a single reputation project at Tier 1. Past Tribble Test Rewards have been equally useless, awarding only 1 Fleet Mark (for Season 6), 1 Romulan Mark (for Season 7) etc. Although in the past, they also occasionally handed out an extra reward in the form of special Duty Officers. This time? Nope, nada, zilch, zero!

Bottomline; When there's no meaningful reward for testing their stuff on Tribble, less people will visit the server to try out new content. When the rewards are handed out automatically without even having spent 1 second on Tribble, makes it even less meaningful to help out on testing. In any case, their testing generally sucks, and most content is pushed out to Holodeck, filled with bugs and other issues.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4170 on: July 11, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
Don't forget that apparently the nukara tribble was bugged and has been pulled as a result. Apparently, one could have a nuke tribble in one slot, pet it for 1 and slot up another reward tribble (say the rom tribble) and pet that for 1 mark.  You then went back to petting the nuke tribble for another mark and repeated the pattern ad nauseam. 
Oh dear cryptic. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4171 on: July 11, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
"Exploits" such as granting players too many marks, are apparently fixed within a matter of minutes.

But bugs go unfixed for months :P
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4172 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
"Exploits" such as granting players too many marks, are apparently fixed within a matter of minutes.

But bugs go unfixed for months :P

Yeah, saw your tweet and the reply from the QA bot.  I also replied.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4173 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
Btw, remember that glitch that let us use two dil claims one after the other?
It's back.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4174 on: July 16, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »

It appears that ship is the equivalent of the Feds Captains Yacht and Klingon's Chariot

The 1k Day Starship is now available for testing on tribble, its still a WIP, animations are broken and if you customize it you loose the custom hull material.

There are also some cool Carrier updates

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11422221&postcount=1

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4175 on: July 19, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
dStahl teased some concept art in the newest State of the Game.  Apparently we're going to get a featured episode by the end of the year along with season 8 introducing a space adventure zone and "deadly" new enemy from Star Trek: Voyager.

There's a poll up on the forums where Cryptic is asking what TV series we want content from.  Voyager is leading with Enterprise confusingly and awesomely trailing in second place.

No news on the July patch which is supposed to fix a lot of the LoR bugs  :(.

EDIT: No updates on the foundry either  :cry:.
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #4176 on: July 20, 2013, 12:46:13 AM »
looks like DS9 is closing on second by only 15 votes, but we already had a ton of DS9 stuff with the 2800, so I doubt we'll see it again so soon.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4177 on: July 20, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
Voyagers pulled right out in front now. Ds9 in third with ent in 2nd.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4178 on: July 20, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
What else could we possibly do from DS9 other then adding a Gamma Quadrant sector. Dominion was already done in the main story and 2800.

I bet the Voth will be the species introduced in Season 8. There is a model for their ship in the game files, and Dan Stahl has said he would like to introduce them.

They're the Reptile species that possibly evolved on Earth.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Voth

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #4179 on: July 20, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »
What am I missing guys, why are some of the horgahns impossible to get to?

To Boldly Go...Again.