Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167669 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #4180 on: July 20, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »
What am I missing guys, why are some of the horgahns impossible to get to?

you get a jetpack?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #4181 on: July 21, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
yeah, the Horgahn Hunt is much easier with a jetpack.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4182 on: July 22, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »
Romulan Timeship, possibly a carrier, there are fighter control buttons on the HUD.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4183 on: July 24, 2013, 12:42:10 AM »
I'm quite excited for the new fighter controls.  I feel like I'm betraying Star Trek: Titan when I'm using the Vesta instead of my Fleet Luna.   :idk:
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #4184 on: July 25, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
Tour the universe got nerfed hard and azure nebula was broken.
Quite a patch!

Oh, and they 'forgot' to put the tour nerf into the patch notes and inserted the entry retrospectively.
Nice going craptic!
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4185 on: July 26, 2013, 06:03:48 AM »
What happened to the Tour? (not that I did it often, but still)
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4186 on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
They added a 4 hour cooldown to it on the quiet.  Apparently, even branflakes didn't know about it.  It was left off both tribble and holodeck notes and was added to them retrospectively.

Here

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4187 on: July 26, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
Oh nice one.

Still playing "hide the nerfs from the public" I see. I doubt this will kick up as much fuss as the whole Dilithium-removal debacle of Season 7, seeing as Energy Credits are largely worthless for anything useful.

What's funny is that there are several other ways to "fix" the exploit, other than adding a long cooldown. Removing the "per sector block" Energy Credit reward would be a starter, as would ADDING that Energy Credit reward to the completion of the tour. That way, people run the full tour, get the full reward, and can't exploit the mission by running only the easiest sectors, dropping the mission, rerunning the mission.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4188 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
However, that would require logic.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4189 on: July 26, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »
Logic? My God, the man's talking about logic; we're talking about STO Armageddon! You green-blooded, inhuman... :P

But yeah, it seems to be Cryptic's M.O... "Let's screw over the community in the worst way we know, and let's keep it a secret until they find out on their own.".

If someone hadn't noticed the 4 hour cooldown, and posted an image of it on the forums, I wonder how long it would've taken Cryptic to admit to the stealth-nerf? If they want to nerf things, fine. But be open and honest about it. Explain why the nerf is necessary. Don't go sneaking around, putting in changes to the game without letting the community know, and then leaving said change out of the patch notes so that people won't notice.

Every day, I find new reasons to leave the game entirely behind. Problem is, at current there are no games that truly interest me. I have 2 games on the horizon, but they are atleast several months away. I find myself playing STO less and less, and rewatching old movies and tv shows more frequently.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4190 on: July 27, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »
I hear you man.
Oh, you should have seen the zone chat when that tour started.  My god, it just *exploded*...
I don't believe that this nerf was even truly necessary.  The most one could make through one hour of solid touring using the previous 'optimum' method was 3 million ec.
 Legitimately, one could just about make 4 complete runs if they knew the optimum legitimate route and had the fastest gear, ship etc.  But doing that you'd make maybe 1.5 million ec.  But even the 3 million you could make using the 'exploit' is chump change in the game by comparison to the prices and it required a level of patience that few people I know actually have. 

This change has me even more convinced that pwe is trying to drive out the farmers and long time players in favour of an increased churn rate in the playerbase.

On another note, do you guys have problems with DX11 mode in STO? It keeps sending my cpu usage through the goddamn roof and my frame rates crashing as a result.  I've had to drop it back to DX9 mode but a lot of things in game just look awful now.  Ships especially!

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4191 on: July 27, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
I honestly see no difference between DX11 and DX9 in STO.

Could you make some comparison pictures of what you see? Because I did it myself and everything looks identical.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4192 on: July 27, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »
To compare the two, just look at the windows on ships.  Under DX9 mode they look a lot worse, as if they are just stickers that have been placed on a model rather than baked into the textures.  Under DX11 they look a lot better, as if they have been baked into the textures rather than just an appliqu? sticker affair.

The lighting is a lot less complex under dx9 as well, shadowing and lighting just don't seem to be handled as well as under dx11.  Instead of shadowing properly, if a ship passes between you and the light source your whole ship goes dark rather than showing just the shadow of the ship eclipsing you.

If you remember playing BC, then you might remember the "enhanced glows" option in it and the difference it made to glows.  THAT is the kind of difference I'm talking about.  It is as plain as night and day.  I just don't get how people can "not see the difference".  It's that blatant.

I also kind of envy you.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4193 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
New devblog #35

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #4194 on: August 02, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »
How soon does the Risa stuff end?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #4195 on: August 02, 2013, 10:44:19 PM »
How soon does the Risa stuff end?

Calendar says the 15th, IIRC.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #4196 on: August 03, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »
The Flying High daily is only available until the 4th IIRC, and the rest of the events end on the 15th, but the new zone is staying after that. 

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4197 on: August 08, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
Patch notes for 08/08/13.
Not very big are they?

Hey, I just noticed, it's one of those days of the year where everyone on both sides of the atlantic agree on the way the dates should be set out :D

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4198 on: August 08, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
I always say in the form of "8th of August, 2013" (being European). I suppose the "yanks" say it as "August 8th, 2013". So much easier to understand it, if you include the name of the month, rather than just having numbers :P

My birth date, is 840130. Which is obvious for me what year and so, but it would look alot better as 19840130. In the "Trek future", I could've been born in 1884 and still alive right now.

As for STO, yes the patch notes look rather short. Especially given that there are numerous fixes that the game could use right now. I hope the "big bug fixes" aren't slotted to be released with the next Season patch. Cause that would royally suck.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4199 on: August 09, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »
Okay, THIS is cool.

All depends on what they offer for free and what the eligibility criteria are!