Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167663 times)

Offline BarnesSFC

• Cookies: 1
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #4580 on: December 24, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
Fun fact - that demo was taken in ESD orbit. I just replaced the demo map so it points to the unused Mutara Nebula map.

It is quite nifty. I wish they kept it ingame! In the corner of the map there are remains of a planet.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #4581 on: December 24, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
I don't use FAW so I'm good.

Apparently according to Jesse heinig FAW is a pain to work on, might be why it keeps breaking. Maybe they should re-code it. Maybe it should be recoded or something.

To be honest, it would probably be a good idea for cryptic to go ahead and refactor the entire codebase of sto.  At least, in terms of stability and *not breaking things quite so much when trying to fix something* lol
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #4582 on: December 25, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
The new Stellar Cartography Book references STO's back story by stating that Rator III is the Provision Capital of the Romulan Empire.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #4583 on: December 26, 2013, 01:36:10 AM »
To be honest, it would probably be a good idea for cryptic to go ahead and refactor the entire codebase of sto.  At least, in terms of stability and *not breaking things quite so much when trying to fix something* lol

do you realize how complicated that would be?  Sure they could do it, but only if they didn't want to work on anything else for the next year or two.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4584 on: December 26, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
do you realize how complicated that would be?  Sure they could do it, but only if they didn't want to work on anything else for the next year or two.

Yes I do realize how complicated it would be, hence why I only said it would be a good idea from a stability stand point.  Time wise, it would be a nightmare for them and they'd likely end up bringing up new bugs due to mistakes made in the rush to get it done.
It'll never happen simply due to the revenue stream more or less stopping. 

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4585 on: December 27, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »
Fun fact - that demo was taken in ESD orbit. I just replaced the demo map so it points to the unused Mutara Nebula map.

It is quite nifty. I wish they kept it ingame! In the corner of the map there are remains of a planet.

It is in sector space.  Gamma Orionis to be precise.

All I want for 2014 from Cryptic are Enterprise jackets, updated TNG uniforms, the Nexus, and a new Fed transporter effect.  After that they can do whatever they like.  :D
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4586 on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »

All I want for 2014 from Cryptic are Enterprise jackets

Which ones?

Offline BarnesSFC

« Reply #4587 on: December 29, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »
It is in sector space.  Gamma Orionis to be precise.

All I want for 2014 from Cryptic are Enterprise jackets, updated TNG uniforms, the Nexus, and a new Fed transporter effect.  After that they can do whatever they like.  :D
No that Mutara nebula image is the actual map, the unused Mutara Nebula map that lays dormant in the game files. You can't access the system or the map.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4588 on: December 29, 2013, 09:40:42 PM »
No that Mutara nebula image is the actual map, the unused Mutara Nebula map that lays dormant in the game files. You can't access the system or the map.

What do you think is the reason that they didn't let us access the map in the foundry?  I assume that it's perfectly usable, if the art is present within the game files.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4589 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
This twitter account has popped up

https://twitter.com/STOFugitive

Its also being followed by Brandflakes and ThomasTheCat.

The character the twitter account is 'playing' is probably

http://sto.gamepedia.com/James_Fadi_Mehra

also known as Princep Khan

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #4590 on: December 31, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »
I'm gonna put forth a little theory.

We didn't see those TWOK uniform variants because they're coming with the anniversary event.  Children of Khan's assets are being used for this rather than an STF.

Offline BarnesSFC

« Reply #4591 on: January 01, 2014, 09:12:34 AM »
I'm gonna put forth a little theory.

We didn't see those TWOK uniform variants because they're coming with the anniversary event.  Children of Khan's assets are being used for this rather than an STF.
And you're probably correct - the devs said the next time that we see Children of Khan, it would be a FE rather than an STF.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4592 on: January 03, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
Branflakes is hinting that the Romulans may get their own event for First Contact day like the KDF did last year.

No hints on what the anniversary special is this year.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4593 on: January 03, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
New Tribble notes:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=974161

Immediately, I notice the list of "Known Issues", which is surprisingly short:

Known Issues:
The hourly event system is not working.
Fire at Will does not Crit.

One issue that occured as a result of the launch of Sphere of Influence (prior to Season 8), was that KDF costume slots are currently and indefinitely bugged. As you can see, this issue is no longer listed under "Known Issues", nor has it been fixed ingame. As a result, I choose to view it as Cryptic ignoring the issue entirely, and hoping people simply forget.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4594 on: January 03, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »
They have plans for that 'Voth zone' seen on the Sphere map.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4595 on: January 03, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
I relented and made a new character so I could try out that new fed tutorial.  A pakled named Things, Looks For Things; Licence to search.
Anyway, I like the idea and the general direction of what they did do, but it's not good at all lol.  There's a lot of very unpolished stuff in there (stuff like NPCs getting caught in loops, doors vanishing instead of being blasted away thus allowing enemies to fire at you but not vice versa, script triggers not catching on that you actually are in the room etc etc).  I had to relog a total of 8 times in order to get things to work and fire off as they should.  If I had to do that, what kind of chance does a newbie have of getting through if it happens to them?
   Not to mention that god-awful VO for that captain.  He kept drifting between "poor Sean Connery impersonator" and "terrible Aussie".  I actually cheered when he died! hah. 

The worst part though, was the lack of any kind of time spent with mechanics on the ground.  Stuff like "Flanking" and "expose/exploit".  Basic stuff that is very important on the ground and was touched on very briefly by the old tutorial has been completely left out.  Not a single mention of it, how it affects enemies or you. 

That new boff is well done though.  Her VO seems to get her down very nicely indeed. Ditto the vulcan science/com officer.  Pity that the Vulcan was only a green boff with basic traits though.  If they were superior traits she'd be a keeper in my ground boff team!

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4596 on: January 03, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
Wow, TBH the 3 times I went through the Tut I never had any of the problems you mentioned.

The trigger one I did encounter on Tribble, but not on holodeck I assumed they fixed it.

You can grab Elisa for other characters from a NPC sitting down in SFA near where Lt. Ferra is.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4597 on: January 04, 2014, 08:25:43 AM »
Wow, TBH the 3 times I went through the Tut I never had any of the problems you mentioned.

Strange.  You must be the luckiest son-of-a-bitch around when it comes to bugs! :D

The trigger one I did encounter on Tribble, but not on holodeck I assumed they fixed it.
Ooohhhh no.  Noooo no no no lol.  I think there was, maybe one trigger that worked without a hitch and that was the very first one.  All of the others failed.  The captains interview at SFA was an annoying one, taking 3 relogs in itself to coax it into working.  The biggest one though, was the "secure the hall" objective right after you unlock the armoury for the two guys (These are also the two mugs who got stuck in a loop of "YAY" > Run in > Grab weapon > "YAY" > Get stuck > Despawn > Repeat)

You can grab Elisa for other characters from a NPC sitting down in SFA near where Lt. Ferra is.
Yeah, I found that out myself a few days ago.  She's replaced one of my human tacs on every toon! 

I liked what they were getting at, but fuck me it needs polish/bugfixing/decent VO for more than 2 characters!. 

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4598 on: January 04, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
The SFA one you refer to you did not need to relog, just walk out the door and back in. The trigger was off centre. That was the one I got, which I thought was fixed.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4599 on: January 04, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
The SFA one you refer to you did not need to relog, just walk out the door and back in. The trigger was off centre. That was the one I got, which I thought was fixed.

No, that didn't fix it.  I tried going in and out several times, but it just would not recognize that I was actually going through the door.  I relogged (that being the magical cure all for a lot of bugs and all) and it worked first time.

In other news, kdf rom toons now have their kdf rom outfits working off of the fed rom colour pallet.   Derp!