Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167669 times)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #4740 on: January 30, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
Cryptic performance at it's finest. At precisely 10AM PST, Mr BranFlakes posts on the forum

Our mid-season update, Season 8.5, is now live on Holodeck!

Less than 10 minutes later, the server crashed... Guess i'll go make dinner rather than play STO (9:15PM here in Sweden)
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #4741 on: January 30, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
STO gone BOOOM! :D

Also, no, that mission was not that great.  I loved it at first (barring bugs, such as random plummeting to my death during the EV suit part, shadows not protecting from the shield going down or big chunks of the graphics just plain old not displaying), but the last fight really killed it for me.  I mean, that battle was awful.
 I found it much too difficult.  As darkie can attest, I am a pretty proficient player but that battle was just crazy.  I ended up dying no less than 20 times due to the undine having some kind of "uber 1 shot roflstomp torp of death".  Not to mention their "10k per tick" grav well.  The romulans didn't show and the bortas just plain old useless in the fight (not drawing aggro or doing any damage). 
It certainly didn't help that the dyson boats' hull was paper thin and did diddly squat dps!
  Even at maxed weapon power and fully tac buffed (in tac mode as well) it barely scratched the shields of even a nicor. 

Tim Russ certainly did a good job on the VO though.  He nailed it.  Btw, did anyone notice the outfit used for the Doctor? Omega trousers and what looked like Kirks vest from generations but coloured white.  I guess Kori was right when he told us about that outfit being in game lol!
I miss :bigdance:

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4742 on: January 30, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
Lol, that "STO OUTAGE" thread is nuts xD
50+ pages already (of mostly people messing around/trolling).

Btw, does anyone remember if it was here or BCU where we had that epic quote pyramid going a few years back?

EDIT

Just saw this from Bran
Quote from: pwebranflakes;14813551
We're working on bringing STO back up. Our current ETA is 70 minutes. I'll either post again once we're back up, or if ETA changes. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #4743 on: January 30, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
I don't know what tactics you used, but I didn't die once. I barely even scraped my shields.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4744 on: January 30, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
I don't know what tactics you used, but I didn't die once. I barely even scraped my shields.

I keep hearing people say this, but I simply don't get how.  I was being utterly roflstomped by them.

Also, Server is down...again.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Do'h
« Reply #4745 on: January 30, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
Well, this happens every major update so we really shouldn't be surprised.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4746 on: January 30, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
Well, this happens every major update so we really shouldn't be surprised.

lol, going down, coming back up an hour later only to go down 10 mins after that? Afaik, it's a new trick for cryptic.
Though I did expect some trouble.

Offline Captain Galaxy

• C.Galaxy Mapper
  • Cookies: 8
  • Shoot first ask questions later
« Reply #4747 on: January 30, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
2 Crashes on the same launch day with less than half an hour between them.

The New mission is great thou!

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #4748 on: January 30, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
Cryptic performance at it's finest. At precisely 10AM PST, Mr BranFlakes posts on the forum

Less than 10 minutes later, the server crashed... Guess i'll go make dinner rather than play STO (9:15PM here in Sweden)

You're exaggerating about the 10 minutes. It was a little after an hour before it crashed.

Also, for whenever the Server goes back up there are new/updated art pieces for the Defiant, for free. They don't replace the old, they're named in the tailor as "Vigilant-Refit" and "Gallant-Refit"

On the right

Offline BarnesSFC

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #4749 on: January 30, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
I've heard rumors of the new Cheyenne class having a Constellation class saucer, I cannot confirm.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4750 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
You're exaggerating about the 10 minutes. It was a little after an hour before it crashed.

I'm not actually.

Brandon (BranFlakes) posted on the forums at precisely 10AM (which was 9PM for me), stating "Season 8.5 is now Live". When I hit the forums at 9:15PM, I had already been unable to login to the game for several minutes, after being kicked out in the middle of the new mission. Now, while it's possible that "not all players" were kicked out at the same time, from my perspective, the game crashed within 10-15 minutes after being "Live" according to BranFlakes.

And yes, I know the game server was Online/Live well before he made his forum post. I just find it highly ironic that he posts that it's "Live", and less than 10 minutes later, the server crashed.

EDIT: And for the record (in regards to the above image), the Gallant has got to be one of the worst Cryptic-made ship variants ever designed. "Polishing a turd, is still a turd" comes to mind.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4751 on: January 30, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »
while it's possible that "not all players" were kicked out at the same time

Must be that, because I started playing the moment it launched and stopped an hour after.

Image From SFC on tribble

Constellation Saucer.

Considering the bad clipping and no other parts, I think it was an accident it was included, plus Jamz only mentioned the Defiant part changes not the Heavy Cruiser.

Offline 3 of 12

• Cookies: 15
« Reply #4752 on: January 30, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »
I've heard rumors of the new Cheyenne class having a Constellation class saucer, I cannot confirm.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/1zg42vk.jpg

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4753 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
This is probably ship Captain Geko mentioned in a recent interview that they had the model made but no unique powers made for it yet.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4754 on: January 30, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »
This is probably ship Captain Geko mentioned in a recent interview that they had the model made but no unique powers made for it yet.

-If- the Constellation is made as a new ship (which is likely NOT to be made for Tier 5), it's "Unique Console" will most likely be a variant on the Picard maneuver.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4755 on: January 30, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
There is an icon texture for the Picard Manoeuvre in the game files. But those have been in there for at least a year.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Do'h
« Reply #4756 on: January 30, 2014, 10:28:02 PM »
And the server's down again.

I'm going for a cookie. I need a cookie.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4757 on: January 31, 2014, 07:14:45 AM »
And the server's down again.

I'm going for a cookie. I need a cookie.

Given.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #4758 on: January 31, 2014, 11:30:34 PM »
I admit to being a tad confused - I saw somebody with the Dyson ship already. How is that possible?
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline 3 of 12

• Cookies: 15
« Reply #4759 on: February 01, 2014, 05:45:11 AM »
I admit to being a tad confused - I saw somebody with the Dyson ship already. How is that possible?

By buying Qmendations from the lobi store.