Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167615 times)

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #5320 on: October 02, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »
If you get Epic now, it stays Epic when you go up in Rank. So it really isn't a waste.

You can't Get Epic 13 from an upgrade, u can only get Epic from 14 - Trust me, LOTS of time on tribble!

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #5322 on: October 02, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
As long as those Intel ships use the Tron-like texturing, I won't touch them with a ten-foot pole.

The Guardian looks okay, but those pylons are incredibly dumb imho. Also, the need for 3 main impulse engines on the saucer? Nothing about the new ships is making me look forward to purchasing any of them. And with the added massive dilithium sink (in the form of the gear upgrade system), Delta Rising is becoming less and less interesting with every update.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #5323 on: October 02, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »
Delta Alliance Rep Armour Visuals

To quote a reddit user "I hope everyone has ACC mods with armor like that..."

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5324 on: October 03, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
At 4PM EST, Smirk is going to show off the Guardian Cruiser

http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community

WOAH WOAH WOAH

Change to T5-U upgrades. Upgrading a Non-Fleet ship will upgrade the fleet version, and Vice Versa

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #5325 on: October 04, 2014, 05:03:37 AM »
i havent play st:O for ages but whats with the starwars armour?
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5326 on: October 04, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »
If I had made it all red, you would probably be asking why it looked like Iron Man. Actually a handful of people on reddit said it reminded them of Mass Effect first.

It's just armour from the new Rep coming October 14th.

I like it.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #5327 on: October 04, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
Well, you prefer the looks of Star Wars over the looks of Star Trek, so your opinion doesn't hold much water by my reckoning.

See, Armors on soldiers like the Klingons, or possibly Romulans, is fine. Starfleet doesn't have soldiers. They have Officers. In uniforms. And even when we briefly saw "soldiers" on screen (... Nor the Battle to the Strong, and The Siege of AR-558), both instances showed soldiers in very Starfleet-esque "uniforms", albeit more field-friendly. It was wrong adding "Armors" for Starfleet characters in STO the first time, and it's still wrong. This latest armor just takes a major shove into "Star Wars" territory, by making it a virtual copy of the Stormtrooper armor. All it lacks, is a visible helmet (which is still possible, as I haven't seen the full-armor unlock costume yet). If people weren't confused about "Star Trek or Star Wars" before, this latest armor just makes it even more confusing. CaptainGeko needs to be fired from his position, as he is the main lead in charge of these design decisions.

In other news, Thomas the Cat posted some updated images of the Intel ships on his Twitter feed. Added some Federation markings, and visible escape pods. As much as I enjoy his artwork (and he comes from the modding community originally), my assertion of the Intel ships remains as is: Polish a turd, it's still a turd. The models need a 100% re-design by a new modeller, the Scryer especially. And since the models won't be redone, I won't be touching them with a 10-foot pole. The Guardian Cruiser is the only ship I might consider purchasing, and only IF my Tier 5 upgraded ships are far too sub-par compared to the Tier 6.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5328 on: October 04, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
I've been playing with all T5-U ships on Tribble, and I don't feel like I need a new ship. Level 60 PvE doesn't feel different from Level 50 PVE, except the enemies take longer to kill. I'm not dying any faster.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #5329 on: October 04, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »
Armor is armor.  Frankly it'd be stupid to go into battle and die because you didn't want to wear armor because "it didn't look right".  Starfleet has always been "talk softly, carry a big stick".  Otherwise they wouldn't have torpedoes with the potential to level cities and a general order to wipe the face of a planet clean.  And frankly, if people "get confused" over Star Trek or Star Wars, they really should spend more time reading the frakking title screen.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #5330 on: October 05, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
"Frankly it'd be stupid to go into battle and die because you didn't want to wear armor"

See, this part I agree with. If not for the fact, that it is NOT Trek. The example listed above (The Siege of AR-558 especially), Sisko and crew knew EXACTLY what they were heading into, they knew combat was a definite possibility. Why didn't they equip their "Stormtrooper" Armors in preparation for this possibility? Answer: Because Starfleet doesn't wear "Combat Armor", and that's just the way it is.

For STO, the only reason for the Personal Armors, is an additional "stat stick" of an item to equip. Serves no other purpose but to boost your stats. Remove all visuals for said armors, and it's all fine and dandy. Or better yet, bake those stats into the character itself, or via skill points. Problems solved: No armors, no stat sticks.

But I guess people are fine with STO becoming more like Star Wars, and less like Star Trek. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing. Not so fine for those (few) of us who prefer the more classic stylings of Star Trek. You guys (Kori and FarShot) are giving me prime examples on why I likely won't continue playing STO. Delta Rising has some interesting story bits, but that's about all. I'm absolutely certain at this point, that I can find something better to occupy my time with.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5331 on: October 05, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »
The armour visuals have always been optional. Heck, they already removed the armour from being part of the armour item, they're all costume unlocks now.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #5332 on: October 05, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
Let me spell it out for you then:

Remove the Armor visuals from the game, period. No visuals attached to the armor item itself (already done), and no possibility of using those armor bits in the Costume Tailor either. While were at it, remove those soon 5-year old "kit" pieces that they recently added to the Tailor.

The fact is, these devs may claim to "love Trek", but it's becoming exceedingly hard to understand how that might be, when they purposefully add these sort of things which directly go against both the look and feel of what makes Star Trek, Star Trek. JJ Abrams did the same mistake with the new movies, with adding lens flare effects everywhere, "pulse" type phasers, which were more reminiscent of Star Wars blasters/turbolasers, and the overall "Apple" aesthetics of the ships interior. This is just a short list of my "issues" with the JJ movies.

STO will remain on my harddrive until Delta Rising is out, and I've had a chance to run through the new story missions (once). At current, I see no reason to keep the folder after I'm done with the episodes. I'll list reasons why I've played STO within the past 6 months:

- Duty Officer Assignments
- STFs (space)
- Occasional episode replay

For the past month or so, Duty Officers have been bugged to the point of requiring several minutes to "complete" despite already being DONE after logging in (24+ hours after assignment start). As a result, "Doffing" has become a hell of a lot more tedious to the point of me simply not doing it anymore. I still run an occasional STF for some extra Dilithium, and Marks. Dilithium is being slashed in half in Delta Rising (the new Advanced is the old/current "Elite", and awards 480 Dilithium, down from current 960 Dilithium). Add to that, forcing the old "optional" objectives onto the mission, as well as adding new optionals. I may be in a fleet, but for the most part I end up running these STFs in a pug (due to lack of players). And you just know, pugs will fail even harder, when STFs become harder. Thus, two of my current activities are effectively no longer interesting for me. Which leaves mission replays (which I've done oh so many times before...)

R&D, done "Beams" upto Level 15, found out the [Arc] weapons was limited to 1 per ship, and quit caring about their "crafting" system. But the worst of all, is the new "Upgrade gear" system, which takes a lot of upgrade tokens, and a lot of Dilithium. Rather just buy new Mk XIV weapons from some future store, rather than put myself through having to upgrade each individual item several times over. So I guess you could say, these upgrades are what finally broke the camels back...
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #5333 on: October 05, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
Here's why I think your argument is based more on your own personal opinion than an actual objective view of Trekdom, similar to an argument that pervades much of the so-called "true" fanbase:

Trek has often been many things, and often contradictory, depending on the flavor of the week.

A prime example of this is Roddenberry-esque Trek.  The Great Bird of the Galaxy's vision for his franchise barely existed past certain episodes of TOS and TNG.  It annoys me to no end that many JJ haters claim "it's not Roddenberry" when Roddenberry himself disliked the "greatest" Trek movie, The Wrath of Khan.  It's textbook hypocrisy on their part.  Had Roddenberry lived through DS9, he likely would've disagreed with it's interpretation of the Federation and the future as well.  No perceived "crime" committed by the new films hasn't already been done by others in the long history of Star Trek.  Pulsed phasers have been seen throughout DS9 and arguably in TWOK, and the "Apple" design is a direct reflection of the minimalism exhibited in 2001 and in TMP.

Offline BarnesSFC

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #5334 on: October 05, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
Let me spell it out for you then:

Remove the Armor visuals from the game, period. No visuals attached to the armor item itself (already done), and no possibility of using those armor bits in the Costume Tailor either. While were at it, remove those soon 5-year old "kit" pieces that they recently added to the Tailor.

The fact is, these devs may claim to "love Trek", but it's becoming exceedingly hard to understand how that might be, when they purposefully add these sort of things which directly go against both the look and feel of what makes Star Trek, Star Trek. JJ Abrams did the same mistake with the new movies, with adding lens flare effects everywhere, "pulse" type phasers, which were more reminiscent of Star Wars blasters/turbolasers, and the overall "Apple" aesthetics of the ships interior. This is just a short list of my "issues" with the JJ movies.

STO will remain on my harddrive until Delta Rising is out, and I've had a chance to run through the new story missions (once). At current, I see no reason to keep the folder after I'm done with the episodes. I'll list reasons why I've played STO within the past 6 months:

- Duty Officer Assignments
- STFs (space)
- Occasional episode replay

For the past month or so, Duty Officers have been bugged to the point of requiring several minutes to "complete" despite already being DONE after logging in (24+ hours after assignment start). As a result, "Doffing" has become a hell of a lot more tedious to the point of me simply not doing it anymore. I still run an occasional STF for some extra Dilithium, and Marks. Dilithium is being slashed in half in Delta Rising (the new Advanced is the old/current "Elite", and awards 480 Dilithium, down from current 960 Dilithium). Add to that, forcing the old "optional" objectives onto the mission, as well as adding new optionals. I may be in a fleet, but for the most part I end up running these STFs in a pug (due to lack of players). And you just know, pugs will fail even harder, when STFs become harder. Thus, two of my current activities are effectively no longer interesting for me. Which leaves mission replays (which I've done oh so many times before...)

R&D, done "Beams" upto Level 15, found out the [Arc] weapons was limited to 1 per ship, and quit caring about their "crafting" system. But the worst of all, is the new "Upgrade gear" system, which takes a lot of upgrade tokens, and a lot of Dilithium. Rather just buy new Mk XIV weapons from some future store, rather than put myself through having to upgrade each individual item several times over. So I guess you could say, these upgrades are what finally broke the camels back...
Removing the armor choices because you don't like them seems like a personal choice and one I do not agree with. You don't have to use them, so don't ruin it for others who do use armor and kit choices on their characters. The DOFF assignment bug was fixed ages ago, it only takes a second or two for them to cycle and finish. There are also a plethora of ways to get Dilithium and they aren't just STF's. Why would you ever do STF's with PUGs? Can't you use a premade via a channel or something similar? We've also known about beams being unique per ship since before 9.5 launch. The upgrade system is a much better compromise. Do you really want to grind your gear out again, for much higher prices? It's the price to pay for keeping your current gear. It's way better than what other games would do, by wiping away all of your gear, making it obsolete, and having to grind it all back up again. If you have good gear right now it will work with DR.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #5335 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:01 AM »
Armor removal, might be a personal choice yes (because I in fact DONT like them), but it's also NOT Star Trek. Have you ever seen an episode or movie, with characters wearing body armor? The only example I can think of, is Star Trek 3's "Security Officer", and even then, he looked nothing like the current Stormtrooper trend going into Delta Rising.

Doff Assignment bug is in fact NOT fixed "ages ago". Logged into a character a few moments ago, who had a full 20+ assignments that I started over a week ago (most of which had a duration of 8 hours or less). And rather than logging into a game with all the assignments already completed (like it used to be), the list showed "Completing...", and did this repeatedly for each and every single assignment for upwards of 10-15 seconds EACH. So it might be fixed FOR YOU, but it sure as hell isn't fixed on my end. And since "Doffing" is one of the few activities I still regularly engaged in, it's just one more activity I no longer will be doing.

Upgrade system, the only current things I want to keep, is my ships. I have no love for the "piece of shit" Intel ships, and the only ships I may be interested in are the Guardian Cruiser or Dauntless (more Dauntless, based on it being canon, despite not being a Fed ship). What's the point in raising the level cap, adding new gear and new ships, if you also add an upgrade system designed to keep players in their CURRENT gear? The upgrade "modules" is a decent compromise, as opposed to paying full price. But when it takes 4-5 superior modules to upgrade 1 item, and you have at minimum 20 slots to upgrade, it becomes both tedious and excessive.

"Plethora of ways to get Dilithium", such as? Foundry missions might be a good source of Dilithium, but in the 100k+ missions in the Foundry, only a handful are ever any good. Finding a good one which hasn't previously been played, is nigh impossible, which is also why I often don't run Foundry. The time investment vs reward (not just talking about Dilithium) just isn't good enough. Exploration clusters were a good source, but those were removed. I only run the Daily "Fleet Action" when available, and only then it's for the Gorn/Federation Minefield. What "plethora" would you be referring to otherwise? That does not involve PVP dailies.

Both the Upgrade system, and R&D are possible "time sinks" and they do work. What bothers me however, is that both systems include an "accelerator" type item, which can only be found... on the C-Store. The fact that these things aren't a "rare ingame drop" has been bothersome since they were first added.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5336 on: October 10, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
In other news, I'm totally ready for Delta Rising.  I've been taking a break since Destiny came out, and now I'm looking over all the changes.  What's the new reputation?
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #5337 on: October 10, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
I think they said it's called the "Delta Alliance" or some such?
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5339 on: October 18, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
I like my Intel Cruiser, named it the USS Pueblo