Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167633 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #5360 on: October 25, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »
I'll confess the design looked a little wonky to me, but you make 'em look good.

*wishes he had a computer that could take screenshots like that*

Well it doesn't look that good ingame, I took the images at double 1080p and scaled them down.

God, I love this material

http://imgur.com/a/v0S3S#0

I went and edited a Demo file I took around ESD and replaced most ship materials with it. I think the Ferengi Ship look amazing haha

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #5361 on: October 26, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »
Ah, a buddy of mine showed me your reddit post.  Didn't realize it was you.  I was going to message you on reddit, asking how you did that, but I saw it in the comments.  Flarespire and I have been wondering for a while now if there was a client-side way to replace visuals.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #5362 on: October 26, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »
Interesting way of doing that, Ive often wondered what some ships would look like with a "special" material on them.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #5363 on: October 26, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
...  Give it a thin profile and few reflective angles.  It's simple stealth science.  

No, it isn't.  If it were, then things like the B-2 bomber would be far more angular, like the F-117.  Those 117's were only so angular because the designers didn't have access to the kind of computational power to design an airframe that could deflect scans with radar etc but also be curved.  Said computational power issues became non-issues as time went by and computers became more and more powerful.
I'm pretty sure the feds of the early 25th century could design something stealthy without resorting to blockiness. ;)

That said, I do like the hull material texture.  For whatever reason it reminds me of B5.  It makes otherwise empty/barren areas on hulls look busy enough, without seeming like the stuff was placed there for the hell of it. 
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #5364 on: October 27, 2014, 02:38:37 AM »
Also, "fire while cloaked" was first seen in the 2290s by a Klingon Bird of Prey, and later "perfected" in 2378 via Shinzon's Scimitar. STO takes place 30 years later. Firing while cloaked would seem to me, to be a non-issue by then.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5365 on: October 27, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »
Flarespire and I have been wondering for a while now if there was a client-side way to replace visuals.

There is, each Cryptic engine game can use a "Material Override" folder. You would need to extract the visual you want, and rename it to the one you want to replace and shove it in that folder.

You can also "mod" game textures this way. But they need to be the exact same resolution as the one you're replacing. Also it is against the EULA, though no Idea if they can track if you're using it.

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #5366 on: October 27, 2014, 08:35:33 AM »
Question? So if I wanted my entire crew, the ones I have no control over, to be in the same uniform as the bridge crew; would that be possible by replacing the visuals and putting it in that folder.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #5367 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
Also, "fire while cloaked" was first seen in the 2290s by a Klingon Bird of Prey, and later "perfected" in 2378 via Shinzon's Scimitar. STO takes place 30 years later. Firing while cloaked would seem to me, to be a non-issue by then.

The trouble is that the cloaking device takes a hell of a lot of power. Not too much of an issue with the Scimitar, which was able to fire while cloaked AND have shields up - with that many weapons and a cloaking system that required Betazoid psychic foolery to break through, it'd need a power source that could do those jobs all at once...and plus the Scimitar was HUGE - but stuff smaller than that...not so much.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline FarShot

« Reply #5368 on: October 27, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »
No, it isn't.  If it were, then things like the B-2 bomber would be far more angular, like the F-117.  Those 117's were only so angular because the designers didn't have access to the kind of computational power to design an airframe that could deflect scans with radar etc but also be curved.  Said computational power issues became non-issues as time went by and computers became more and more powerful.

I did say simple stealth science.  And the B-2 is still geometrically optimized for reduced radar cross-section.  Same thing with later generation stealth vehicles like the F-22, F-35, and PAK-FA.  They still all feature unconventional harsher edged geometry.

Except in both of those cases they're in the hands of powers who don't take too kindly to sharing their technology with the Federation.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5369 on: October 27, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »
Question? So if I wanted my entire crew, the ones I have no control over, to be in the same uniform as the bridge crew; would that be possible by replacing the visuals and putting it in that folder.

No, this is just for textures only.

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #5370 on: October 27, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
You mean textures for ships? Or all textures.

Adam

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5371 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »
You mean textures for ships? Or all textures.

Adam

All textures.

So tribble right now, Free Ship Upgrade Token, once per account for every 800 Day or life time vet. Sent to your in game mail and it isn't bound at all so you can sell it lol

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #5372 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:42 PM »
Except in both of those cases they're in the hands of powers who don't take too kindly to sharing their technology with the Federation.

True, however:

The incident with Chang happened 117 years ago by STO timeline.
The incident with Shinzon happened 32 years ago by STO timeline.

The Romulan Empire no longer exists, and the only currently recognized Romulan government in the game, is the Romulan Republic. Who has shown tendencies to wanting allies from both sides. Sharing technlogies with one or both allies, would seem to be a natural fit.

I think it's rather short-sighted, not to consider the possibility that "firing while cloaked" may have been developed either during the 117 years since the Chang incident, or the 32 years since the Shinzon incident. After the collapse of the Romulan Empire, the Treaty of Algeron no longer applies, thereby allowing the Federation to finally develop it's own cloaking devices. The tech has existed since at least 2370 (the phase cloak prototype).

The justification for the Intel ships, was to make them "more stealthy", which I've provided clear canon evidence to the contrary. Ships have cloaks, power save "grey" mode, and advanced sensors. All of which already contribute to the "intel collection role", which is the ONLY role these Intel ships are designed for. Which again, goes contrary to canon, in that Federation ships are designed as multi-role ships, capable of operating in a wide variety of capacities. The exception might be the Defiant, and even that ship had it's moments of exploration and scientific missions.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5373 on: October 28, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »
Which again, goes contrary to canon, in that Federation ships are designed as multi-role ships, capable of operating in a wide variety of capacities. The exception might be the Defiant, and even that ship had it's moments of exploration and scientific missions.

The game takes place 30 years after Nemisis, I think they're allowed to make some changes to established design. Besides this ship design will not be the new standard going forward, only Intel ships will look like this. As evidenced by the Guardian.

Video from P1 Podcast from their trip to Cryptic. It covers ship designs for DR. I didn't post this as a response to the ship design debate, its just a coincidence as It just came out yesterday and I found it interesting.

They cover mostly Vaadwaur and Intel Ship designs.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #5374 on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »
Just a wee fyi.  The STO forum now has a "5 minutes between posts" rule.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5375 on: October 29, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
Talaxians are now Playable for Lifetimers only starting tomorrow. KDF and Fed only.

Also the Upgrade token for 800 Day vets comes in a Box that is Account Bound, but once opened the token becomes character bound.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9002703-release-notes%3A-october-29th%2C-2014

Mirror Event returns tomorrow

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9002213

Grand prize is Mirror Cochran's shotgun.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5376 on: November 17, 2014, 04:47:58 PM »
T6 Intrepid

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9005093-intrepid-class-starship

Not sure why this wasn't in the blog, images of the new model, made by Thomas The Cat surprisingly enough, apparently hes branched into ship making after he made those blue barrels.

http://thomasthecat.tumblr.com/post/102919753440/this-is-the-pathfinder-class-starship-i-designed

I see some prototype model inspiration in there.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130817000721/memoryalpha/en/images/1/13/USS_Voyager_prototype_model.jpg

New Club 47 coming Thursday

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9004943

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #5377 on: November 18, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »
Yo dawg, we heard you like retrofits so we retrofitted your retrofit blahblahblah etc.
So that's Feds 6, KDF 2 and roms 2.  (Not inclusive of the lockbox boats).  ;)

Offline FarShot

« Reply #5378 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
I think it's safe to say that Federation characters outnumber both of the other factions.  I really don't mind them working for the majority first, plus, I just love that ship design.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #5379 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
I cant decide weather or not I like that ship design...