Author Topic: Invisible ships.....  (Read 1042 times)

P.G.

Invisible ships.....
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »
Hi there.

Well, I'm having a mind-screwing problem: some ships (and stations, planets and anything BIG) is simply invisible. Yesterday I collided my Excelsior right on the Battlestar Pegasus' hull.  When I reached 8 km, it simply appeared, and the ship was on full power.

Also happened when I tried to orbite Saturn, and the whole d*mn thing dissapeared!

Can someone help me?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Invisible ships.....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
Do other ships do this?
Any of the smaller ones?

It's possible that the switchout distance is to great and that it didn't include the lower "LOD" file.

Links please!
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

P.G.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »
Do other ships do this?
Any of the smaller ones?

It's possible that the switchout distance is to great and that it didn't include the lower "LOD" file.

Links please!

No small ship do this. Only things with the size of a space station or bigger, such as a planet.
Alright, the switchout distance is too great....so how can I set it? And what do you mean with "the lower 'LOD' file"?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »
BC employs a technique called "LOD", or Level of Detail, which replaces modesl with smaller ones (as in, fewer polygons) at a predefined distance (in the scripts/ships/ file).

And if the lowest lod model references isn't present, then it's possible that BC won't show the ship.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

P.G.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »
BC employs a technique called "LOD", or Level of Detail, which replaces modesl with smaller ones (as in, fewer polygons) at a predefined distance (in the scripts/ships/ file).

And if the lowest lod model references isn't present, then it's possible that BC won't show the ship.

Now I'm gettin' it....so how can I set the LOD value?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »
Well, I think it's more of a problem that a lod isn't present but is referenced at the correct location.

Do you see in the ship file the 3 lines denoted at the front with "High", "Med" and "Low", follow those and make sure they are all present.

P.G.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »
Well, I think it's more of a problem that a lod isn't present but is referenced at the correct location.

Do you see in the ship file the 3 lines denoted at the front with "High", "Med" and "Low", follow those and make sure they are all present.

You mean on the ship script or the folder?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
Ship script.