Author Topic: dyson sphere  (Read 7005 times)

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
Re: dyson sphere
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »
Next up, Death Star. :P

Dyson Sphere looks awesome Cord.

Or is it Dyson slab now? :P

RhVaurek

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2008, 07:27:44 AM »
 Looks excellent from the shots I have seen Cord, I love the effort you have put into designing this well... set piece I think of it like, this thing will look fantastic on many many wallpapers and banners I am sure :D

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
i think i deserve a cookie :D

Nope, but cordanilus does. Have a cookie, cord.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
i think i deserve a cookie :D

Nope, but cordanilus does. Have a cookie, cord.

I gave him a cookie anyway. :D  This was in my list of projects but henrie85 was the one that got it kick-started by making this thread in the first place.

And thanks Blaxxer. :D  Cookie, yum yum.

Edit:
No double posting for me tonight. :D

I've added a couple of pictures.  They are 1280x1024 so it may be a bit large for some and not larger enough for others.  lol
The dyson sphere (slab) is in BC and it takes about 10 minutes to fly across the entire width of the thing with DJ's Galaxy.  7874 kph to be exact.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »
loving the textures on the surface, hating the stretched textures on the entrance...

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2008, 11:12:38 AM »
im still not understanding...  what do you do with this tho?  go to the entrance, get pulled inside, and then....  fly around until youre bored and leave?  do you get damaged if you decide to crash into it?  will enemy AI recognize it as a solid surface and avoid it?   is there going to be a planetary system inside or something? 

i mean dont get me wrong - it looks great and this is something never before done (so that within itself is awesome! :D)

but for practical purposes, other than POTDs and screenshots and such - is there something more to it that im not getting?

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »
is there something more to it that im not getting?

Not really.  I just feel like making the dyson sphere...and it's a chance to practice more of my skillz.  At least, improve on my skillz. :D  That's about all.

will enemy AI recognize it as a solid surface and avoid it?
I can't use In-System warp on it.  Well, you can but it'll try to go around first though. :D

hating the stretched textures on the entrance...
All the more reason for me to practice. :D

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
did you unwrap it?

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Are you talking about the inside of the doors or the bumpy circle just on the outside of the doors?

I UnWrapped them both but the texture (for the bumpy circle on the outside of the doors) I'm currently using is just a base hull texture.  (Using Polar Coordinates thingy in photoshop.)  I'm still looking closely at how that part actually looks in the episode so it will be changed eventually.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2008, 06:46:30 AM »
kk

Jay Crimson

« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
There's a deathstar model also so I think the size is unlimited. The problem is putting a sun inside and not having it throw the planet around but it seems some creative minds are resolving that ;). Alternately, it could be constructed from several pieces which would be put together as one planet by making a new space zone I'd think.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »
Not really.  I just feel like making the dyson sphere...and it's a chance to practice more of my skillz.  At least, improve on my skillz. :D  That's about all.
right on - i have great respect for that :)  and the project is turning out awesome indeed!  youre progressing nicely!!
i didnt mean my earlier post to sound as though i was suggesting the project was pointless, i might have given off that impression lol
but it is impressive because this is something never before done and i think it is really cool youre doing it :)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »
There's a deathstar model also so I think the size is unlimited. The problem is putting a sun inside and not having it throw the planet around but it seems some creative minds are resolving that ;). Alternately, it could be constructed from several pieces which would be put together as one planet by making a new space zone I'd think.
Size is never unlimited.

And I somehow doubt that the deathstar model you are talking about is as huge as a Dyson sphere (remember, a moon, not the size of the orbit of the Earth around the Sun, as a sphere, way, way, way, bigger than a mere moon).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »
right on - i have great respect for that :)  and the project is turning out awesome indeed!  youre progressing nicely!!
i didnt mean my earlier post to sound as though i was suggesting the project was pointless, i might have given off that impression lol
but it is impressive because this is something never before done and i think it is really cool youre doing it :)

I'm totally with Jimmy on this one, dude. Keep up the excellent work, you're doing great! Practice makes perfect, does it not? :) Cookie for Jimmy; taking the words outta my... err... keyboard.