Author Topic: dyson sphere  (Read 7004 times)

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
Re: dyson sphere
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 07:38:56 AM »
Lol, I rest my case.

But something this big, you wouldn't see the curve on it anyway, so why not just make it a flat plain the length of a system map and script some sort of loop so if you fly off one end you appear on the other?

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 08:01:09 AM »
Lol, that's what I was just thinking of.

More like...when you arrive there, you're far away from it so you can see that it's a dysons sphere.  But you have to warp, in order to get to it.  But that would require a new model to be flat with the door.  And a new setting for the inside.

Besides, it would take forever to get to the dysons sphere at 11.3 billion km away. :D

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »
[snip]

More like...when you arrive there, you're far away from it so you can see that it's a dysons sphere.  But you have to warp, in order to get to it.  But that would require a new model to be flat with the door.  And a new setting for the inside.

[snip]

which is exactly what I was suggesting back on page 2 :P
That said, all that can be done with the DS9FX framework^^

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 10:14:13 AM »
That Dyson Sphere makes no sense. Everything on the inside surface would just fall inwards into the star.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
Suppose we posit that its spinning, wouldn't centrfugal force more than compensate?

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 11:22:32 AM »
Besides, it would take forever to get to the dysons sphere at 11.3 billion km away. :D

Isn't it possible to increase the speed of the in-system warp from Galaxy Charts?

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
Suppose we posit that its spinning, wouldn't centrfugal force more than compensate?

Only around the equator, and it would pull anything not exactly on the equator sideways.

Offline henrie85

• Adviser & Helper
  • Cookies: 3
  • Go Climb a Rock
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 12:36:04 PM »
what about excaliber has a sp mission and seeing that a new graphic engine is being made. think it migth be possible for there instead in bridge commander now ?

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
what about excaliber has a sp mission and seeing that a new graphic engine is being made. think it migth be possible for there instead in bridge commander now ?

The basic problem persists - the enormous size.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »
Reallife issue's asside, the only way this could work in BC would be the outer and inner Dyson system sets.

As for scaling in BC, there are quite a few problems, everywhere, not just BC when it comes to scaling. The first game to get this right was Elite, but that is a special case, only recently have games managed to get this right, mainly by not allowing to get close to them. :P
And the game in development called Infinity: Search for Earth, only manages to do so in a similar way as Elite did, which certainly isn't the BC way.

In BC you only get a set of 3 coordinates, x, y and z, which are limited to a certain range (actually floating range, but the problem persists) we currently can't even store the entire size of a planet on those coordinates and allow small scale movement (the definition of floating range, either we get really big numbers with with bad precision, or really small numbers with with high precision, and anything in between where each point is a tradeoff).
In fact, 1.0 - 0.1 does not even have to be 0.9 in BC when it comes to coordinates.

However, there is something that we can use to "fake" the vast distances better.
There is this function:
Code: [Select]
App.UtopiaModule_SetGameUnitConversionFactorWe don't know (we can't know) the original factor but we can set it to something else.

Try this in the console:
Code: [Select]
App.UtopiaModule_SetGameUnitConversionFactor(2)and see what that does to the numbers in BC.

mleo why are you spoiling their fun? impracticalities aside, whos to say they shouldnt try? everything in BC is underscaled anyway...
I'm not spoiling their fun. I'm merely giving my pragmatist view on this particular case, with all my experience (and experiments) and the limitations of BC.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
You know what game would have probably been able to make this work... Independence War 2.  The scaling in that game was true to life, planets and stars were simply massive.

Evilution

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2008, 09:30:52 PM »
Umm guys i found the Dyson sphere and bcfiles  heres the link i am going to give it a try.

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/TNG_Dyson_Sphere;76279

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
If you'd please direct your attention to the disclaimer...

* * * DISCLAIMER * * *

IS ORIGINAL MAP IS "NOT" A FINISHED PRODUCT. WITH PERMISSION FROM MADJOHN, THIS WORK IN PROGRESS
IS BEING RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC. IF YOU WISH TO IMPROVE UPON THE MAP? PERMISSION IS GIVEN. AS LONG
AS PROPER CREDITS ARE GIVEN.

* * THIS MAP IS RECOMMENDED FOR "EXPERIENCED" MODDERS AND SCRIPTERS * *

Yeah, it's not done. Neat find, though. Perhaps it'll give ya something to work from.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2008, 07:42:14 AM »
Umm guys i found the Dyson sphere and bcfiles  heres the link i am going to give it a try.

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/TNG_Dyson_Sphere;76279

If you can pull it off, hats off to you, sir. If not, one should try the method I mentioned a few pages back ;)

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Hey, cool find.  Downloading it now. :D No screenshots but I'm downloading it anyway, to see what it looks like.  Very interesting in my small little world. lol

Edit:
Just a bit of fun...

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2008, 04:30:38 AM »
Whoa, that looks dull. Plus the detailing is incorrect ;)
Looks like someone just took an insanely huge sphere/planet with facemapping ;)

Okay, I just had a look at those meshes...kinda undetailed stuff.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 06:32:01 AM »
Okay, someone order a dyson sphere? I'll be providing this modder's resource as-is, meaning the mesh in *.MAX format (standing at a spectacular 6805 polies) diffuse and specular maps in *.png format at a size of 4096 by 4096 pixels.

Now for the pics:

Grab the file here: click!

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Wow, Gotta get my hands on this :p

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »
Very nice.  It's not cannon either but it sure is a lot better then my quick make. :D

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »
Don't tell me this works in game  :shock: