Author Topic: dyson sphere  (Read 7003 times)

Offline henrie85

• Adviser & Helper
  • Cookies: 3
  • Go Climb a Rock
dyson sphere
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »
1 strange ideas is the dyson spere from star trek tng s06e04 Relics. i think it would be another good mod for bridge commander. dont know if anyone has tried to make this mod yet or what

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Re: dyson sphere
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
I'm not sure you could make anything that big in BC.  It'd probably start to cry and then go find someone else to play with.

DQP guys, how big is the Borg transwarp hub?  Maybe it's possible.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
maybe it can be scaled, to just a-bit larger, than the biggest starship, cuase like DJ said a full sized dyson, would possible cause troubles for BC.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »
Do a search for it, this subject has been discussed in length on this forum with all the challenges with it.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

intrepid90

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:25:32 PM »
but at that point mleo, I guess no one knew that the unicomplex is realisable for BC, did they?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
i fail to see the point of such a thing for BC tho?
besides, anyone who is capable of making it are all backlogged with their own projects at the moment...  most people that can mod for BC generally dont really take requests...

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:01:27 PM »
This COULD be possible; After all, the guys over at JL didn't think a hub would work, either, 'till I gave em' what for and told JB to try anyways. :P And would ya know it? Poof. Works. Just make it as a planet with an interrior or something; doesn't need to be high-poly or nothin', just some nice textures and a star in the center, and you're golden, methinks. :)

On the other hand, DJ could be right. BC may scream and cry and go find another play mate who's not quite as mean. :P But, you never know until you try. Assuming faliure will only ever hold you back.

But, in the end, Jimmy really drives it home, so to speak; most people are just too busy with their own projects, anyways.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
I'm not sure you could make anything that big in BC.  It'd probably start to cry and then go find someone else to play with.

DQP guys, how big is the Borg transwarp hub?  Maybe it's possible.

Yup that scale is definitely possible, if one of the conduits on the transwarp hub can easily fit a 3000m cube in, this dysons sphere shouldnt be a problem.

~Jb06

Offline JerichoKru

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
There is a Death Star II for BC that is massive in size....
~ [UFP]JerichoKru

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »
but, again - what would be the point of a mod like this?  to go to the door, have tractor beams pull you in, and then what?  fly around inside until youre bored and then leave?  am i missing something?
i dont mean to sound sour, but i just dont see why someone would go thru all the effort, when it seems to have almost no real point for BC... 

Offline Aeries

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »
POTD and scene reinactment... otherwise, you're right for the most part... not much point, really.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »
but, again - what would be the point of a mod like this?  to go to the door, have tractor beams pull you in, and then what?  fly around inside until youre bored and then leave?  am i missing something?
i dont mean to sound sour, but i just dont see why someone would go thru all the effort, when it seems to have almost no real point for BC... 

Umm...since the big cry out I've seen on these mods is for immersion and warping back and forth and exploring, and all...

Wouldn't this pretty much be heaven for the BC player who wants immersion? Basically all QB is these days is flying around until you get bored.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 02:36:09 PM »
It's not exactly the size that matters, it's how you use it, it's that you have to fly into it, not navigate around the various tendrils.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:01 PM »
but at that point mleo, I guess no one knew that the unicomplex is realisable for BC, did they?

They did, I made one years ago. Never felt the need to port it, tho.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

intrepid90

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
pics or it didnt happen ;) :P

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 03:12:57 PM »
It's a great idea but there is no way to get it working in game as I already tried to make Halo ring and it was a loooot bigger than any object available for BC even than Borg Transwarp Hub or Uni Complex, the result was that BC crashed every time I tried to load it in QB, the biggest  I managed to get in BC was about 1.5 times bigger than the biggest planet/sun in game which is not big enough tho we don't even have real scaled planets so I guess such objects don't have to be strictly up to scale ;)

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
pics or it didnt happen ;) :P

There you go, this dates back to Oct, 26, 2005:

I even made a transwarp corridor:

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »
Well, you could get an extremely large object like that in there.  The trouble is, will it be damagable?

I could try to see how big I can get a planet to be, while keeping a low vox file.  Who knows, I'll try it for the heck of it.  lol :D

Offline Aeries

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »
Looks like we're getting things on the go! :D *holds hopes*

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 05:00:34 PM »
Let me tell you again, a Dyson sphere is far more diffrent than the Hub.

The Hub is essentially flat, the sphere is just that, a sphere, and a hollow one at that, meaning that it needs to be bigger to be usable in BC.

Don't forget that flying through the hole will be very, very difficult, remember, you all flew against the starbase instead of through it on your first attempt without letting the AI do it!