Author Topic: help painting a car  (Read 1384 times)

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
help painting a car
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:12 AM »
Hi all,
       Need to pick your brains on the best compromise to painting a car in 3D max. Actually have two cars to paint for a film I'm making.

The first should be easier as it is a Aston DB9 in metalic paint. Though my limit know how on matirials has not produced anything that I'm happy with.

The second is a UK police car. Again metalic paint but also has decals on it. Any advice help would be wonderful
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline baz1701

Re: help painting a car
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:32:32 AM »
well this how far I have got on my own.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:03:34 PM »
I'm assuming what you need help with is the making the cars look metalic.

If so, how i did it was assigning a material with a specular level of about 60, glossyness of about 95 and in the reflection map a raytrace with default settings.

As to what you have so far, the Aston looks good, but the stripe down the side of the police car looks too thick.
MUSE!!!

Offline baz1701

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:36 AM »
I see what you mean regarding the stripe. Not sure how to fix that as I had to model section over the car as UV unrap would not work?

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »
Sorry, not to be picky. But the Astra you've moddeled looks like it has an Opel badge and Irish plates. UK police cars are Vauxhalls since the ROI isn't strictly part of the UK. Just wondering if it's meant to be the Opel since they might have different stripes down the side.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline baz1701

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:34:18 PM »
yes it is an opel astra I'm yet to change the badge (it was left drive when I started). The Reg plates are actually the real reg of a Thames Valley police car I found on googe. They are GB plates, I've attached the map. but well spotted on the opel badge

Offline baz1701

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
and here is the car. And I'm aware it is a differnet model LOL.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
Not to be picky again. But they stopped the astra you've got in your renders in 2003. So an 55 plate wouldn't fit. But you'd only have to change the 55 to a 52.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline baz1701

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
Well note to upset Luke with attention to detail ;) I have change the reg to an 03 and added a Vauxhall badge. And as stated in an eariler post I have reduced the size of the stripe down the side

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
Looks great Baz :D

One final thing :D (sorry) the interior needs to be bigger inside the car. The seats need to be higher and wider. Sorry, you all know what i'm like :)

Offline baz1701

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »
I did not model the car, I brought it over a year ok before I started doing my own meshes.I'm not to bothered about the inside as I will build my own interior which I'll green screen in the actors.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
I did not model the car, I brought it over a year ok before I started doing my own meshes.I'm not to bothered about the inside as I will build my own interior which I'll green screen in the actors.

cool, can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm sure it'll look great. All the other work you've done's been fantastic.

By the way, what's the film about?

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »
Kewl stuff. Wish I could map and texture to begin with. Oh well, with time I suppose. :P

Good luck dude.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 04:42:02 AM »
I've mad several sci-fi based films over the recent years but I've always wanted to make a non-sci-fi film. So I'm planning on making a film about a new graduated policewoman who in fact is been placed in  the force by a mob boss in order to get him information. Which she does until the job gets to her and then she helps bring the mob boss down.

Since I have no budget (and only one actor at the moment) I have to see where I can use CGI to help make it look real.

I've also started on a police station as well