Author Topic: That's a wrap!  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
That's a wrap!
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »
Bridge Commander has been so much more than a game to me, and since I first picked up a copy at the age of 16 I grown and developed with it. BCU and BCC have both helped me expand my games development skills and personal skills - I have grown up with this community and it has had a massive impact on my life.

Its been over two years since Sean and I set up BCC, and I like to think that we have made this forum the most popular for Bridge Commander modders. I remain very proud of the way we have worked together to achieve this.

That said, BCC has been a demanding "child" for me over the last couple of years, I have spent many hours keeping the site in good working order, adding new features to it, listening to unhappy users (you know who you are ;)) and generally getting on with house cleaning.

So, this is where I should get to the point; I will be getting married on October the 4th and this obviously marks an important milestone in my life. With so much of my time being taken by Family, Work and Excalibur I feel it is time to call it a day and leave Bridge Commander behind.

In my place, RC Gothic will be taking one of the two Admin chairs; I am confident he will continue my work to make BCC a place where anyone can come and share in the experience of Bridge Commander modding.

As for my future, I will be "around" to help out, and if RC and Sean wish it I will remain on staff as a "retired admin" so I can help out with technical issues etc. Overall though, most of my time will be invested in Excalibur and its site where I hope I will see lots of familiar names :).

Before I call it a day, I want to take a second to thank a few of people in particular:

Sean, you were here with me at the start and you have always been around to help keep a check on me :P... I hope you continue to ensure that this site never becomes anyones property, and is always there for everyone.

LC, you have without doubt taught me the most about Games Development, without your input I wouldnt be in the job I am today and my life would be very different. I will continue to work with you on Excalibur so this is'nt goodbye, just a thankyou.

JimmyB, I think you deserve a special mention, you were the first person to chat with me from the BCU community and since then you have always been there as around for me to bounce ideas and feelings off - again I hope to see you at Excalibur, but thank you non-the-less.

To all the staff, thankyou for the time you have given, the wisdom you have shared, and the talent you have used to improve the community - as I already said you are as important to this site as any other component.

To all the members, thank you for being a part of this community, thank you for getting involved when so many just sit at the sideline and consume without giving anything back. I request your patience with staff over the coming weeks of transision, and I ask that you continue to push BC to its limits (until excalibur is done :P).

Cheers everyone.

intrepid90

Re: That's a wrap!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:14:26 AM »
I think (or hope) everyone here understands you.
thank you for all you've done with this forum and creating the best BC community.
Best wishes for your RL, cheers!

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »
Just like to send my thanks for all you have done. I've not been around here for long but have been made more than welcome, so thank you (and not forgetting Sean) for creating a place that encourages us newbies to modelling and modding. And always there to point us in the right direction when we get stuck.

I two am recently married (6 happy months) so I know where your coming from in regards to time.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »
this really does bring a tear to my eye, as i am so very sad to see ya go...  but it makes me smile because i know youre moving on to bigger and better things in life :)  you deserve nothing but the best, mon ami - and i am so very happy to hear things are getting better and better for ya :D  youre an awesome guy and a great friend!

i want to thank you personally so very very much for everything youve done, for BC and the community!!  you have really brought it all up to such a great level and have had such a major impact on everything!  you are a legend in the community, and by creating BCC, youve really kept things full of life and energy...  youve expanded BC into such a great height with all youve done, and made every person's install all the more awesome and more enjoyable :)  and thank you so very much for that!

knowing your incredible skill and expertise is gonna be added into Excalibur is really a very exciting thing to think about - each day i personally become more and more excited about the project and am so very happy it is being done by some of the most brilliant minds and amazing skills - i am truly thrilled to watch it all unfold and am very happy to be a part of the community :)

mark - just make sure you pop in here from time to time and say "hello" - especially be sure to put up a wedding pic in the Mug Shots thread in FreePost lol :P   and we'll still talk all the time on MSN messenger, as we have been for 5 or 6 years now - youre a good friend to me and have been there for me a number of times (not to mention have so *patiently* put up with me in my times of bitchmode here and there with people lol)... 

cheers, mon ami :D  you absolutely rock!  and congratulations on all of your achievements in life, youve gone so very far already :D  have a beautiful day on Saturday - wish i could be there!  ill be thinking of ya all day, and i cant wait to hear all about it!!   :D

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:06:09 AM »
Congrats on your upcoming marriage! Though it makes me sad to see you go, I wish you all the best. You've be very helpful to me here and a decent person to talk to. Best wishes to you and your wife. :D

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »
First off,

Congrats Mark! Okay, so, we rarely talked, but it's been pretty damn clear that you've contributed a lot (Aside from just being an admin). Best of luck in your future, and (unfortunately) you will see me over at Excalibur. :P

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:02:35 AM »
adios mark.  see you next door.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »
You've left a great legacy and will continue! See you at the top of the boards and best of luck.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »
I hope this doesn't seem selfish or rude, but with your departure, Mark, would it be possible, in some of your spare time, to make a step by step tutorial on how to make bridges in Max 3? If you can't, I would perfectly understand, but losing one of the few people who can make custom bridges makes the possibility of new, custom bridges for BC less. Again, I am very happy to hear this news and wish you many happy years of marriage and well behaved kids (if those are in your plans.)

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 10:07:01 AM »
Mark Congratulations on the Marriage allow me to wish you the best of luck, and Thank you for the work you have contributed to the community..

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
Awesome, congratulations Mark.  Although we haven't chatted before, I wish you all the best.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
Aww, Mark! I know we've never really spoken before, but I just want to congratulate you on everything you've made happen, everything you're making happen, and everything that you will make happen. Sincerest congratulations on your marriage; you have my best hopes and wishes for the future! Best luck with Excalibur as well... I know it'll be a magnificant game that, I hope, will last far beyond any other and see many communities form around it just like this. I'll likely head out that way at some point myself, so I hope to see ya there. :]

The contributions and dedication you've given this community to keep it alive is what's brought me into an area of interest that I hadn't had any help or support in before, and as such I think I've grown a lot as a modeller and hopefully, in the near future, a full modder. This is an amazing place, and I thank you very much for bringing it all together!

I hope you stop by; you've got to pay us a visit! :]

Best wishes, buddy!

Sincerely,
-Aeries

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »
All hail the new dictator! (j/k)

It's an honour to be taking over from Mark, and I will do my utmost to work with Sean and make sure BCC remains the best site for BC.

-Phil

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »
El dictator, your avatar needs some updating.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
Aside from the extra congratulations...

For those who, like me, didn't get it the first time (how is Elminster dictator at the moment?). It's not El from Elminster, but the Spanish "el", as in "el comodore", just capitalized because it's the first word of a phrase. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:24:39 PM »
For those who, like me, didn't get it the first time (how is Elminster dictator at the moment?). It's not El from Elminster, but the Spanish "el", as in "el comodore", just capitalized because it's the first word of a phrase. ;)
Yes, that's what I meant. I see how the two can be confused. :?

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »

Scuze me? lol

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 01:27:42 AM »
Congratulations Mark! That's fantastic news. May you and your sweetheart have a wonderful, prosperous life together.

You will be missed but it's nice to know you'll be back every once in a while to check on things.

Can't wait for Excalibur... need I say more?

When I first joined the BCU community back in 2005, you were the first person I PM'd and you were the one who got me really into checking out the truly best mods available. Thanks for that and your advice.

Cheers brother... and clear skies ahead.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 12:36:12 PM »

Don't blame me for this.  I voted for Kodos.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

Don't blame me for this.  I voted for Kodos.

-Zing!-

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.