Author Topic: Star Trek Bridge Commander Remastered - Project Update 28/10/08.  (Read 13425 times)

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
Re: Announcement - Star Trek Bridge Commander Remastered - Project.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »
Hmm, could use some more polys to smooth out the circular parts.

I hear what your saying, the saucer area is a little bit "blocky", the .nif file is huge and there are a lot of ploys used on certain areas of the starbase such as the antennae on the top and bottom of the mesh. I've been "trimming the fat" off of the original model but as far as smoothing goes... the model stays at it's current count. I have to find the right balance between model poly counts and texture resolutions, and with Starbase 12 being a key component of the single player campaign, often sharing scenes with other starship models I thought it would be best to keep a limit on polys and texture sizes for the starbase.  :D

Offline Technerd89

• Cookies: 2
Re: Star Trek Bridge Commander Remastered - Project Update 18/10/08.
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 10:55:12 PM »
Just remember that there are several cutscenes that involve the starbase, for example when we first acquire the Sov, the camera passes through the starbase doors, and the ship is positioned directly inside the doors as to fly right out. Try to make sure that this starbase produces the same technicalities.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 01:03:37 AM »

Agreed,

But I also totally see your point about the balance that you're going for Glenn.

Very nice textures.

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 12:51:28 AM »
great texture job on the station mate  :)

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 06:19:51 AM »

Agreed,

But I also totally see your point about the balance that you're going for Glenn.

Very nice textures.

I think modern PC's should be able to handle a higher poly starbase. There's a good one on BCF.   I'll try to find a link for you.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »
But not too high, please. There are people who still have PC which are weaker than "modern" ones, like mine's.
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
Yeah, a smoother starbase would definitely be welcomed. Very nice textures, but I must say that the model kinda ruins it for me... just imo, though.

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Captain - USS Explorer
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »
Hi Everyone, It's update time....  :D

I've finished the alpha channels on the Starbase 12 model and it's time for some in-game screenshots, just got a few more tweaks to do to the model and then it's on to the Fed Outposts.
  :)

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Captain - USS Explorer
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
Here are a few more screenies, including a few shots of the starbase interior.  :)

Enjoy!!.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »
You can barely notice the edges ingame and that's the absolute nicest texture for any starbase interior!

intrepid90

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
woooow that looks sooo awesome.
whats the texture size`?
have a cookie

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
thats a nice one, just wish the doors worked, but that might make BC sick [the game itself]
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
I still think it's too edgy, but the textures look very nice.

Offline Darkthorne

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »
Glad I just upgraded my graphics card this looks awsome
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
-Pulp Fiction

Offline Technerd89

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2008, 04:38:45 AM »
thats a nice one, just wish the doors worked, but that might make BC sick [the game itself]

In theory they could, with the Foundation Tech in KM 1.0. Same scripting behind the Intrepid nacelles. The only hitch I can think of would be collisions preventing the doors from sliding into the super-structure.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 06:45:21 AM »

In theory they could, with the Foundation Tech in KM 1.0. Same scripting behind the Intrepid nacelles. The only hitch I can think of would be collisions preventing the doors from sliding into the super-structure.
We can (and do in that script) selectively disable collisions between objects.

In this case, it might be easier to just have 2 extra objects permanently around, so the script just moves those 2 objects when needed. So no model swapping.
It would also mean that you could (do note, this is all a possibility, nothing set in stone) blow up the doors and force your way in. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Captain - USS Explorer
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
You can barely notice the edges ingame and that's the absolute nicest texture for any starbase interior!

Thanks Barihawk, glad you like!!.   :)

woooow that looks sooo awesome.
whats the texture size`?
have a cookie

The texture are a mix of three different sizes at the moment. 6 -1024x maps, 6 - 512x maps & 3 256x maps.

Thanks for the cookie!! scrummy lol.

We can (and do in that script) selectively disable collisions between objects.

In this case, it might be easier to just have 2 extra objects permanently around, so the script just moves those 2 objects when needed. So no model swapping.
It would also mean that you could (do note, this is all a possibility, nothing set in stone) blow up the doors and force your way in. ;)

Unfortunately I'm not that great when it comes to complex scripting, but if someone wants to have a stab at this then I'm all ears... Just PM me with your ideas and we will take it from there lol.

Thanks for the feedback folks, stay tuned for some Fed Outposts which should be coming this way soon...  8)

intrepid90

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
wow decent graphics and detail for 1024s
really efficient.
I've seen worse 2048 :D

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Captain - USS Explorer
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2008, 02:23:23 PM »
wow decent graphics and detail for 1024s
really efficient.
I've seen worse 2048 :D

Thanks Intrepid, I'm actually thinking about downsizing a couple of the texture maps just to get a little more out the game in terms of performance.

Also this may be of interest to those gamers who low-end or older PC's.... I've closely kept to BC's original file structure, meaning that there will be support for High 2048x - 1024x, Medium 1024x - 512x, and Low 512x - 256x, Resolution texture maps, which can be changed using BC's performance options in the main menu.

I've had older PC's in the past and I know what it's like to want to play a newer game on an old PC. Those of you with older systems... you can be rest assured I haven't forgotten about you!!.
  :wink:

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »
I've had older PC's in the past and I know what it's like to want to play a newer game on an old PC. Those of you with older systems... you can be rest assured I haven't forgotten about you!!.[/color]  :wink:
glad a few people still remember, You SB is great, size of the textures is Always my big worry.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?