Author Topic: Star Trek Bridge Commander Remastered - Project Update 28/10/08.  (Read 13427 times)

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
Hi Folks, It's been a while since I've been active on these forums, but there is a reason for that!!. I've been busy for the past four or Five months modding Bridge Commander in the hopes of creating a new mod for the Bridge Commander Community.

So without further ado.... I would like to formally announcement my biggest project yet.  :)

INTRODUCTION

I've always been a big fan of the original single player campaign in Bridge Commander, but after playing it recently I realised how dated some of the aspects of the game now look. So with my knowledge of modding, scripting and hardpointing I've decided to complete "Remaster" and re-work all the elements of the original game. Everything from models, textures, Sfx, Scripts, Bridges will be completely updated to take advantage of the more High-Powered PC's that are now on the market since BC's original release back in 2002.

PROJECT AIMS AND GOALS

My goal is to totally update Bridge Commander and in particular the original single player campaign. The work done by Captain Russell on his BC Supermod convinced me that completely modding the single player campaign is workable, I intend to go one step further and update all aspects of the original game.

CURRENT STATUS

For the past 4 months I've been concentrating on modding all the stock ships and bases that appear in bridge commander. I'm pleased to report that all stock ships are now complete and the game is "100% STABLE" with no issues on BC Crashing when reaching certain missions. Sticking closely to the original scripting structure for BC was the solution to this.

WORK STILL TO DO

1) Retexture and re-work all Bridges in the original game and add new bridges.
2) Remaster all textures ingame, including characters, planets, nebulae, sets, shields & weapons textures etc.
3) Remaster original games sounds to make BC more "atmospheric"
4) Change the original music score with a new one (don't worry the score I have doesn't come from any copyrighted material!!).
5) Add additional ships to the game that will appear in Quick Battle mode.
6) Complete Beta Test of the game (Beta Testers wanted at some point!!).

WHAT STBCR WON'T HAVE

For various reasons I've decided to stay closely to the original BC game Scripts, this is mainly because of the stability issues that occur when playing single player campaigns when adding certain mods to a BC Install.

The mods I won't be including are things like NanoFx, although a truely groundbreaking mod I've always had stability issues when playing single player. My main aim is to create a BC install that plays the single player campaign "seamlessly" from beginning to end.

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE

Spring 2009.

Please folks any feedback, ideas and suggestions are greatfully received.

In the meantime take a look at some of the work I've done for STBCR so far!!

Glenn
CE  8)

(And I appologise before hand to anyone else who was wanting to use the title "Remastered" but I thought about it first lol!!).
  :lol:

Offline Captain_April

• Cookies: 5
  • hardpointer - CXP
Re: Announcement - Star Trek Bridge Commander Remastered - Project.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
Kewl.
Have a cookie
EDIT: what are you doing about music?  I understand that it won't be copyrighted or anything, but are you writing it, is someone else writing it?  just wondering.

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Captain - USS Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »
Kewl.
Have a cookie

Thanx for the interest Dude, and the cookie Mmm..... delicious!! 8)

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »
Kessok look niiiiiice.

Cookie!

Offline rengers

• Cookies: 306
  • ship modeler
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:28:09 PM »
looks very promising, I always liked the single player campaign.
good luck for the project, I will definatly have an eye on that.

have a cookie from me too :D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:43:47 PM »
Looks great Glenn.  pixofgalaxyplz?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
ooooh!!!  this sounds awesome, Glenn! :D  i cant wait to see how this project unfolds!!
i havent played SP in literally years, it will be great to play it again - i barely even remember any of it anymore lol
have another cookie! :)

Everything from models, textures, Sfx, Scripts, Bridges will be completely updated to take advantage of the more High-Powered PC's that are now on the market since BC's original release back in 2002.
damn my midrange 4 year old system with crappy gfx card *grumble grumble*

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »
TBH, i must admit to never having finished the single player campaign.  I think though that BCR would probably inspire me to replay it.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »
Finally some Kessok mods! That are not butchering retextures!

Not sure about the fake bump/normal mapping though.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »
Damn u!!!! lol, looks like our projects have got similar names.

Great work. Cookie

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 05:04:33 PM »
Sweet! :D  I love the logo, very clear and crisp and very nice usage of colors too.  This project sounds like a big one, and I hope you the best.  I may even offer to chip in once in a while.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »
Looks awesome Glenn!

I too have not played SP in a long time but always thought it had a good plot/story line.

I like the bump mapping and the textures overall are real nice.

Question:
Is the Nebula Class just a re texture of the original BC model or from your great Nebula Pack? I know you mentioned that you were re-working the models... but once again, just wondering if you were substituting the stock Neb for one of your own.

intrepid90

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:37:32 PM »
hmm  a mod without nano.
that's interesting... but maybe reasonable as you pointed out.
the nebula especially looks awesome.

I played the sp almost till the end.
But I didnt succeed in the mission with those hybrds and where chief is contacting them and you have to find out on which ship matan is...always was destroyed :(
*fail*

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
Oh BTW, forgot to mention on my last post.

Cookie for you  8)

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
hmm this looks awesome!

Though I always wondered what caused nano fx 2.0 to have issues with SP....
however I do know there were a few patches released for it and one was a SP fix.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Captain - USS Explorer
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »
Thanx so much for feedback folks, I'm glad there is a fair bit of interest in this project, lemme see If I can answer a few of your questions.  :)

Looks great Glenn.  pixofgalaxyplz?

Thanx DJ, sorry but I'm not gonna release any pix of any of the key Fed ships yet.... especially the Galaxy until I secure a few permissions from the original authors. :wink:

Damn u!!!! lol, looks like our projects have got similar names.

Great work. Cookie

Sorry about that dude!!, I've had the name of the mod down for a while, the Star Trek TOS Remastered episodes was the inspiration for the name. Your excellent thread kinda forced my hand lol. but I don't see why we cant both use the same title lol. :D

Question:
Is the Nebula Class just a re texture of the original BC model or from your great Nebula Pack? I know you mentioned that you were re-working the models... but once again, just wondering if you were substituting the stock Neb for one of your own.

The Nebula Class featured in the mod is one of mine, every stock ship has been replaced with the best community models available. To be honest I can't wait to show you folks some of the Fed Ships lol. :wink:

hmm this looks awesome!

Though I always wondered what caused nano fx 2.0 to have issues with SP....
however I do know there were a few patches released for it and one was a SP fix.

Not sure if it was compatibility issues with foundation which screwed with the SP campaign or not!?. But in all the years of playing through SP with nanofx installed I always had issues with BSOD's. I've never seen a SP fix for NanoFx.... link please neb!?

Thanks for your feedback and interest so far folks. I'll be sure to keep you all posted lol.  :D

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
I believe things are gonna get very confusing when they get to BC Files (which I'm sure is along way away). Y'see, ChronowerX Productions is doing Kobayashi Maru - Remastered and your doing STBC - Remastered. Now, I'm not saying you or CXP have to do this but, people will get confused. As I did. But shouldn't some one alter there name slightly? I mean, KM replaced BC with ships. But KM-R is redoing KM. Now, this project is intended to replace BC ships right? So did KM. Yet both replacement projects are called "Remastered". Now this is very anarokish and you probably think I'm prick for saying all that but, I do tink tha some people might get a teeny weeny bit confuddled. :D

Apart from that, looks cool! I look forward to seeing more! :D :D :D
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 02:13:19 PM »
Not sure if it was compatibility issues with foundation which screwed with the SP campaign or not!?. But in all the years of playing through SP with nanofx installed I always had issues with BSOD's. I've never seen a SP fix for NanoFx.... link please neb!?

yeah I found the link but the readme just killed any use for your mod

"You are NOT alowed to use this mod in any of your work, you are only alllowed to download this for privat use!"

by BCDS
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 02:43:11 PM »
I believe things are gonna get very confusing when they get to BC Files (which I'm sure is along way away).
 Apart from that, looks cool! I look forward to seeing more! :D :D :D
I tend to agree with Dale-s statements, and Yes It is cool. :o
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
BCDS is a cool guy tho...  im sure if he was asked, he might be willing to allow it this one time...
then again sometimes modders are strict about their personal work, and thats perfectly understandable of course... 
doesnt hurt to ask i guess tho...