Author Topic: Couple of issues  (Read 2582 times)

Offline djnattyd

• Cookies: 0
Couple of issues
« on: January 02, 2009, 01:06:32 AM »
Hey all, just picked up a copy of BC (Late i know, but my old pc was rubbish) and i'm having a few problems with a couple of mods

I downloaded the Sol Multisystem w/AI Ships and after i installed it using the .exe nothing happened, i didn't even get a mutator for it.
i then tried the requirments version and the same thing happened, so i then tried a copy and paste install and got the mutators but all the systems vanished and out of all the sol planets that it mentioned in the mod i only got uranus and no AI ships.

I've also downloaded GC and when i turn it on either all the systems are bunched up in one corner of the Chart window or their not there at all. I've managed to get the Charts set up correctly once but then the warp button on it didn't work and my ship had a top speed of 60KPH

I'm running BC 1.1 and KM 1.0, i don't know if sol multisystem is compatible with KM as it didn't say in the readme but i know GC is and yet it won't run properly, even on a totally clean KM install with no additional ships.

On a side note, how do you get the AI editor to run? I'm wanting to try and learn how to script a new AI so that ships added using the AddShip function can fly about without me having to give them a command, I've asked on BCS but haven't had much in the way of help.

And finally, if i add new things to a system (again, using AddShip) such as a starbase or a drydock that i've scripted to construct ship, is there a way to save it whilst in game or does it all have to be scripted? I'm just wondering as the default sol and dry dock systems that come with KM are missing the Starbase and docks even though there are waypoints for them.

Any help that you can provide on these topics will be very appreciated.

P.S. Just found edit() in the console, what's this for exactly?
Leave no one alive... They'll only sue you later

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Couple of issues
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:34:49 AM »
Ok, let's cut this up.

I downloaded the Sol Multisystem w/AI Ships and after i installed it using the .exe nothing happened, i didn't even get a mutator for it.
i then tried the requirments version and the same thing happened, so i then tried a copy and paste install and got the mutators but all the systems vanished and out of all the sol planets that it mentioned in the mod i only got uranus and no AI ships.

I've also downloaded GC and when i turn it on either all the systems are bunched up in one corner of the Chart window or their not there at all. I've managed to get the Charts set up correctly once but then the warp button on it didn't work and my ship had a top speed of 60KPH

I'm running BC 1.1 and KM 1.0, i don't know if sol multisystem is compatible with KM as it didn't say in the readme but i know GC is and yet it won't run properly, even on a totally clean KM install with no additional ships.
From this I would say your problem is that you only got 1 system now, Uranus.
Have you checked to see if all your mutators are on?
And get us a console report (see the stickies).

About KM compatibility, Sol Multisystem predates KM by far.

On a side note, how do you get the AI editor to run? I'm wanting to try and learn how to script a new AI so that ships added using the AddShip function can fly about without me having to give them a command, I've asked on BCS but haven't had much in the way of help.
There was a tutorial on BCU about this, you will need Python 1.5.2, and a particular version of a couple of external libraries.
PM SimRex with this question, he wrote the tutorials.

P.S. Just found edit() in the console, what's this for exactly?
It's a built in Map editor. But it doesn't allow you to truely change a map, you can just create placements for a map (and not overwrite an old one either).

May I ask how you found it in the console?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
And GC has a tech support forum of its own and some nice instructions on how to get some info on the problem that happened, which would come really handy to help you, because what you said just doesn't help at all...
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »
Ok, let's cut this up.
Yeah sorry about that, i got a bit carried away

May I ask how you found it in the console?

I read how to turn on the console to use cheats and i was just typing anything that sounded like it might activate a map editing mode. Guess i got lucky, i'd tried map.edit, editor, and a few others before i got Edit(). Is there a proper map editor?

On the console report thing, i've tried but for some reason, everytime i try to run BC in windowed mode it crashes. Dunno if it's because i'm running it on Vista or not. I'll download the console trcker and see if i can get one that way

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15:36 AM »
And GC has a tech support forum of its own and some nice instructions on how to get some info on the problem that happened, which would come really handy to help you, because what you said just doesn't help at all...

Just re-read what i put and your right, it doesn't clarify what i was trying to say.

When i activate the GC plugin and click stellar cartography, the map opens and all the systems are overlapping each other in one part of the map. When i select one and hit the warp button in said map my ship either sits there doing nothing or just moves off randomly at 60kph. If i try to increase speed, nothing happens and it won't stop either. I've looked on the tech forum for GC and someone else had the same problem but i never saw a solution for it.

Also, on another point... I read somewhere that changing the display settings from T&L to the other option where it's just the GFX card name can give you better performance (AA and the like). Only problem is, when i do this i lose all the writing on the buttons. Any ideas why?

This is my system;
HP Pavillion
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duo 4400+ 2.3Ghz
3GB Ram
ATI Radeon 3450 with up-to-date drivers
Vista 32

It's factory standard so i know one thing on it is compatible with the next

Offline USS Frontier

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »
When i activate the GC plugin and click stellar cartography, the map opens and all the systems are overlapping each other in one part of the map. When i select one and hit the warp button in said map my ship either sits there doing nothing or just moves off randomly at 60kph. If i try to increase speed, nothing happens and it won't stop either. I've looked on the tech forum for GC and someone else had the same problem but i never saw a solution for it.
About the map "issue": Have you tried zooming in and moving the map? Like it has been said several times already in various topics: when GC is set to use the real coordinates of the systems to place them on the galaxy, a LOT of the systems from KM1 will be close to each other and thus seem cluttered when you open the map and the zoom is on its default setting, to see the whole galaxy. Just zoom in and you'll see that they are not overlapping each other. Pressing one of the Preset View buttons, specially "Known Space" and "Maelstrom", is actually even easier than zooming in, since those buttons will automatically zoom and move the map to show a specific area.

About the "hit warp button and the ship just sits there" problem: also already said this a million times: If you press engage warp and your ship doesn't warp, the reason why it didn't work WILL BE LOGGED in GC's logs if they are turned on. Again, this is mentioned in the full readme and in several other topics around here and specially around GC's tech support forum... Without those logs, I can't help you any further...
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »
About the map "issue": Have you tried zooming in and moving the map?

You know, i feel like such an idiot right now... Didn't even realise there was a zoom option DUH!

If i still get the same problem i'll sort out the logs for you

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
Tried it but it's still not right. I've attached the screenshots

As you can see, all the systems are over to one side except a few that are almost off the map.

I turned on the logs but there was only the "Delete Me" file in the folder so i've no idea whats going on.

On a lighter but sort of related topic, when is v2.0 coming? It sound great (i've said the same over on BCS)

Oh, and it turns out my gfx drivers weren't up to date. Stupid windows "update drivers" button was only giving me the old ones, but i've dl'd the latest from ATI so the earlier graphics question can be disregarded.

Sorry to be such a pain about this but it's boggled my mind why it's not working, even though i've got a clean, patched install and km1.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
On a lighter but sort of related topic, when is v2.0 coming?
:whenitsdone
(just an FYI - never ever ask that of any mod ;) )

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »
Tried it but it's still not right. I've attached the screenshots

As you can see, all the systems are over to one side except a few that are almost off the map.

that's exactly how it is supposed to look,? most of the systems that are bunched up like that are the stock systems, since they are all supposed to be in the same region of space and no more than tens of lightyears apart, the icons overlap at that scale, space is a very big place, the Milky way is over 100 thousand lightyears across, and they had to fit it on a computer screen.? Notice the distance between your current subset Deep Space and your destination Void which is nearly sixty-two thousand light years.
and the reason that half the map is largely empty is because there aren't very many playable systems in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants

Offline USS Frontier

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
JimmyB and ACES_HIGH said it all lol

About the logs: If the logs aren't working it's because
A) you didn't turned them on
B) you didn't installed the mod correctly
C) corrupted files

In the case of B or C a error message of some kind should be printed to the console...

However since you running with Vista, that might give a different problem... I don't know for sure because I don't use Vista yet, but I think you may need to run the game with "administrator rights" (or whatever that's called) to let the scripts create files on their own... I'm not sure of this but it doesn't hurt to try.
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »
Turns out the reason that i'd seen the systems spread out was because i didn't click default positions... So yeah, i'm feeling like a fool right now.

Mleo, do i have to do something special with the .py file that i get after saving a set using the Edit() function in the console? I tried to add the code to the existing Sol 3 map but ended up killing my game and having to re-install it. I'm just asking so that i can put the missing spacedock and drydocks to Sol and have them stay there.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »
It creates a so called "placement" file, usually ending in _P.py, it's still a Python file, it has no special capabilities, except its semantic value.

I take it you got a black screen? In that case, get us a console report and I can fix it. Sorry if you already reinstalled.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
It creates a so called "placement" file, usually ending in _P.py, it's still a Python file, it has no special capabilities, except its semantic value.

I take it you got a black screen? In that case, get us a console report and I can fix it. Sorry if you already reinstalled.

No, it just kept taking me to the desktop, even after i deleted the additional coding so i just re-instaled.

I do find it a bit confusing that there is a set called Earth and a set called sol3 and they're almost identical except for the AI ships and the starbase floating around the Earth set.

I asked on BCS if there was a way to substitute the Earth .py for the Sol 3 .py and USS Sovereign showed me a bit of python code but in all seriousness i'm not that confident in altering it as my previous attempts have been more miss than hit.

Is there a simpler "copy and paste" method or should i start making multiple backups and do it sovereigns' way?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
Could you attach the file you created?

About the Earth and Sol3, it's exactly as you said, one is with AI ships, and one is without. AI ships in systems are relatively "new", newer than the sol3 system (and it's siblings). And the Earth system use(s|d) sol3 as its basis.

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »
Could you attach the file you created?

I deleted it before i reinstalled. It was called "mission preferances.py" or something like that , i think it was what you said before. All i changed was the starbase in sol3, i just added it and then moved it to the waypoint using "move obj to cam" in the editor. i can't tell you what it said exactlly. I'll see if i can get it up on a second install and post it up later as i'm gonna be busy for the next few hours

About the Earth and Sol3, it's exactly as you said, one is with AI ships, and one is without. AI ships in systems are relatively "new", newer than the sol3 system (and it's siblings). And the Earth system use(s|d) sol3 as its basis.

I thought as much... Oh well, guess i'll just stick with how it is, don't want to mess it up again and have to go through all the add-ons one by one

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 12:10:22 PM »
Did loading the map cause the crash to desktop (it was a crash to desktop, with the "proper" windows dialog/message screens, and not a console)?
Or did BC crash on startup?

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »
Did loading the map cause the crash to desktop (it was a crash to desktop, with the "proper" windows dialog/message screens, and not a console)?
Or did BC crash on startup?

It crashed when i selected quick battle from saffis' menu and yeah it went straight back to windows with the dialog box and everything. I've never got a console window on a crash, i can't even run BC in windowed mode to see one! I think it could be because i'm using Vista or it could just be that my game is haunted :D but either way it didn't like the script that i added to the sol3.py. Strange thing is, i did the same things to the Drydock set (added the missing drydocks that give the map it's name) but left the python file in the base BC folder and had no probs. (The changes didn't show up when i loaded it though) Obviously, that was before i destroyed it by messing around with stuff i have no idea about.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
In case of Vista, install BC in a directory different from Program Files, BC can't handle Vista there.
I suggest C:\Games (or another drive/directory).

Do you mean "selected quick battle setup from saffi's menu"?

Offline djnattyd

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »
In case of Vista, install BC in a directory different from Program Files, BC can't handle Vista there.
I suggest C:\Games (or another drive/directory).

Probably explains why every few days it goes mental and turns planets into giant starfish... Or why every so often ships mysteriously turn insideo out and then vanish, leaving me looking at a blank viewscreen

Do you mean "selected quick battle setup from saffi's menu"?

Well it' just called quick battle (i think). I've got KM 1 installed and iirc that changes the name, i'm not sure