Author Topic: Diaspora - BSG space sim  (Read 5964 times)

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
Re: Diaspora - BSG space sim
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 06:53:22 AM »
(Though I ran out of fracking ammo half way through the first mission. :P)

Happens to all new players. As you adapt to the game, you learn to aim and shoot only when there's a chance of a hit.. Later
on I never ran out of ammo, no matter what I did or how high my kill score was. You just can't spray without pause like in
some other games :)

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 09:13:28 AM »
From the videos, the combat looks spot on. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for the Blackbird though, I dunno, remembering Starbucks first 2 minutes makes me shudder.

But frak, I don't know if I'm more eager for this or the hour delayed broadcasts of Season 4 on Australian TV :S

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
..we recently released. Hope you like.

Goshdangit Newman! Makin' me have to change my pants all the time... yeash...

No, seriously, that Pegasus is frakkin' MINT! :D

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
So after all the talk about this games (Seeing as it's standalone it's not really a mod) predecessor, I gave the demo a whirl. Frak. If that and more is what's to come...

DO WANT. You have no idea how much the videos have hit the ideal space combat feel. Fast, hard, and loud. While I haven't had the chance to run out of ammo like Kirk did, I did struggle with figuring out the whole location of waypoints, and did lose the mining crew. :lol: But shredding toasters looks even more amazing and fun in Diaspora, Newman, somehow you know what I want, and it's scaring me greatly. If I could buy you and the team a round of drinks, I sure as hell would.

I'm definitely hooked.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Scotchy

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »
...No, seriously, that Pegasus is frakkin' MINT! :D

These are the little moments I do this kind of thing for. Glad you like it sir!

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Here's a few pics of the detailed model of the Cylon Basestar that will appear in the game - the one you saw in the videos was just a placeholder.
Added the raider racks recently, there's 864 of them in total so that's quite a lot of smoothing and general mesh issues to worry about - it was a much bigger deal then I thought it would be. At least that's done now - uvws are almost done too so texturing should begins shortly. Hope you guys like.

Offline CJLarkin

• Cookies: 27
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Like?! How could I not LOVE?!
Very detailed, love it!
Build a game and people will be happy for a few years. Build a community... Well, look at BC. :D
Here's to another 20 years!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
I think I can guess what you won't be modelling. :P

Spoilers for the last episode (or near the end anyway):
http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/how-big-was-the-colony/
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 01:17:28 PM »
Oh my frakking GODS!!!! Newman, I bow to your absolute superrior modeling skills... you bring forth true inspiration! Well done!

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 01:34:07 PM »
Out of curiosity, will there be Mac compatibility like BtRL? ( And is there anyway to get the patch installed on Mac? =/ )

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
Yes, we'll have a mac version. Not sure what are you talking about when you say "patch", since Diaspora hasn't made a release yet there's also no patches..

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 03:54:40 PM »
I was referring to the BtRL patch, with windows you can just copypasta the files, but alas, Mac users like myself have more of a problem =/

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »
Wouldn't know about that, that is our coders domain. I wouldn't worry about patches just yet though. BtRL is a different game, so if you had a problem there it doesn't necessarily follow you'll have the same one with Diaspora. We do have dedicated mac coders, though, so they'll probably make any eventual patches for that platform easy to install.

Offline Nexxus21

• Commanding USS Solaris Mk-I Refit
  • Cookies: 4
  • Our Continuing Mission Of Exploration
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
Now this looks amazing...Thanks for letting us know I am also a BSG fan as well and will keep following your progress. Will this have character creation or selection like in FS a storyline and mission selection?
Guess I better check out the website it probably answers these questions and more.. 8)
If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us...-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 04:10:42 AM »
Now this looks amazing...Thanks for letting us know I am also a BSG fan as well and will keep following your progress. Will this have character creation or selection like in FS a storyline and mission selection?
Guess I better check out the website it probably answers these questions and more.. 8)

Website has some answers, and a link to the forum where you'll find everything :)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 06:55:01 AM »
I think I can guess what you won't be modelling. :P

Spoilers for the last episode (or near the end anyway):
http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/how-big-was-the-colony/

Holy... Shit. Thats huge.

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »
I'm definitely not volunteering to model the cylon colony - I don't exactly see it as the most inspiring bsg design ever, and it's a huge amount of work. But I don't doubt it will be in the game eventually. Someone else will have to model and texture the thing, though :)

Offline Aeries

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »
Oh that's a shame; I thought you'd do a marvelous job with that. with modeling abilities like yours... maaaannnnnn that'd be brutal... in the good sense of the word.

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 01:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the compliments :)
Don't worry though - we have high art standards all over the team. (meaning our other 3d guys rule :D )

Offline Shinzon

• Cookies: 9
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »
great job newman, must have been fun putting all those racks in