Author Topic: Diaspora - BSG space sim  (Read 5967 times)

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
Re: Diaspora - BSG space sim
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 05:31:24 AM »
Remember when I said our artists rule? Here's proof :)
First up, a sample of the new interface being done by Lt.Cannonfodder - I'm sure you'll all agree he's done a fantastic job with it.

Also, it's time to show our own battlestar design that will be the hero ship of release 1 - the Sobek class battlesar Theseus, designed by Starslayer and modeled by Meleardil. The ship is just about 1 km long (so smaller then the Galactica), and while it's a newer ship then the Galactica it's still old - it came into service at the end of the 1st Cylon War, only a few of the class were launched in time to see action in the war.

Offline rengers

• Cookies: 306
  • ship modeler
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 06:18:47 AM »
just frakkin awsome :D

you guys have done a tremendous job so far, I really looking forward to that game :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 06:34:39 AM »
Wow, loads more "ribs" than Galactica. I might have assumed it was bigger than the Pegasus!
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 06:37:40 AM »
Wow, loads more "ribs" than Galactica. I might have assumed it was bigger than the Pegasus!

http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/images/colonial/battlestar_galactica.jpg

Are you quite sure about that? :)

Offline Dalek

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:08 AM »
I was going along the pylons holding out the hangar bays. :) Looks like theres more detial on this Battlestar but then again, thats just me being odd. Again. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2009, 03:53:40 PM »
What the HELL!? That is bloody amazingggggg!!!!!111`1ojrawi3

No seriously I love it. Its such beautiful work... how long did that BEAST take to construct!?

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »

No seriously I love it. Its such beautiful work... how long did that BEAST take to construct!?

A few months, and it's still lacking textures, LODs, debris, etc. It took that long, however, because it isn't a canon design where a modeler just has to follow the references as closely as possible - this was our own design (well, Slayer's, with our suggestions on certain modifications as the ship was being built), so it took time and several versions until we were happy with the shape. Now that it's finally modeled, the rest of the work should proceed more quickly. Shouldn't be too long before my basestars are pummeling the crap out of it.. muhahaha.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
I like the look and feel of the menu, but I think the shape still looks too FreeSpace to me, as if it's not hexagonal enough. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
Fantastic! the more I see the higher I jump up and down waiting for it :D

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »

A few months, and it's still lacking textures, LODs, debris, etc. It took that long, however, because it isn't a canon design where a modeler just has to follow the references as closely as possible - this was our own design (well, Slayer's, with our suggestions on certain modifications as the ship was being built), so it took time and several versions until we were happy with the shape. Now that it's finally modeled, the rest of the work should proceed more quickly. Shouldn't be too long before my basestars are pummeling the crap out of it.. muhahaha.

Hahaha, nice. :] Might I ask, is the entire ship one mesh or constructed of several components?

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »
Hahaha, nice. :] Might I ask, is the entire ship one mesh or constructed of several components?

I'm not the one who built it, so I can't really give detailed technical answers on the mesh, but the answer to this question is almost certainly that it's constructed of more mesh elements. No reason for it to be a single object game-wise (actually it's easier to export with several lower poly parts then one really high poly one - the exporter gets confused if a single object has 70,000 polygons and it's supposed to calculate collisions on it :) )

Offline Aeries

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:10 PM »
Ooohhhhh, I sees I sees! So it works much differently than BC does, then... Although I suppose that's more of a face-palming obvious note that everyone BUT ME would get right off the bat. xD xD

Sorry if I'm picking your brains too much... I just love this work you guys are doing and I'm getting loads of ideas for my own little doo-dads... truly excellent stuff you guys are working on!

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 01:08:57 PM »
No probs man - ask away, I'll answer what and when I can :)

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
Texturing progress on the basestar - i'm still tinkering with a lot of stuff there, and aligning things over uvw areas. But this should give you an idea of how it's going.. The shiny metal look will be achieved with the spec map, this is merely a render of the diffuse texture.

I'd also like to add that artists-wise, we are a bit short handed; sure we can do everything, but it'll take time. So, if you want to help us out, we could certainly use good 3d modelers/texturers (you'll need to know how to uvw map as well to integrate the two).
Drop us a line at team@diaspora-game.com if you feel you have the skill and time to help us out. We'd also appreciate if you include some examples of your work so far, that's the easiest way to see what you can offer.
You can find out more here.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »
Aww poo, I don't have much of anything to show. >_>; Lmao. Nice work so far newman!

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
I dont really like BSG but that looks very cool and would like to try it out :-)

Offline Kevinmajere

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
Oh man, newman, this needs to get done asap! LOL dying to play this!!!!

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »
It would be cool to have this in MVAM where at the push of a button you see a bunch of AI cylon raiders detach from the hull and start attacking other ships. Amazing work! :D

Offline Dalek

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »
This isn't for BC. Hence the title, "BSG Space Sim".

- Lorien

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: I know, i jest thought it would be cool.