Author Topic: BC won't install  (Read 2054 times)

Offline The Stig

• Cookies: 4
BC won't install
« on: November 04, 2006, 11:28:18 AM »
I just made a fresh windows install yesterday and i have just started to reinstall my games. I began with BC and after i clicked the install button nothing happened. I tried leaving it be for an hour, but that didn't help.
Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
BC won't install
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 12:16:47 PM »
Does the Task Manager show anything?

Did you try it again?

Did you reboot between tries?

Have you tried to look on the CD directly and run the install executable (could also be called setup, can't remember)?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline The Stig

BC won't install
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 12:39:50 PM »
I've checked task manager and BC isn't on the list. I've also tried everything you said and it hasn't helped. I did notice one intresting thing though. While i was rebooting my computer, i got a brief glimpse of the setup during shutdown.

If it helps here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
768Mb ram
ATI Radeon X300
Windows XP SP2
Norton System Works Premier 2006
All newest drivers and updates

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
BC won't install
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 04:32:06 PM »
You don't check for BC, you check for install or setup or something with msi.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline The Stig

BC won't install
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 04:48:24 PM »
Sorry, i was being stupid. Anyway setup is on the list.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
BC won't install
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 04:50:09 PM »
Kill it and try again.

Or, if your using Process Explorer, right click and see if Window isn't disabled (greyed out) and click "bring to front", otherwise kill it and try again.

Offline The Stig

BC won't install
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 05:07:50 PM »
I tried killing it and trying again, but it dosen't help. I can't the "bring to front" option that you mentioned.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
BC won't install
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 05:41:59 PM »
Quote from: The Stig
I can't find the "bring to front" option that you mentioned.

I assume you mean "find", I take it you are using Process Explorer?

It is a separate program.

Offline The Stig

BC won't install
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 04:17:07 AM »
Oh, i must of missunderstood. Im using the prosesses tab in task manager. There isn't anything in the applications tab.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
BC won't install
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:51 AM »
Ok, let's try it differently, minimize every program before you run setup.

Also, alt tab when it appears that nothing is appearing (keep holding alt to see all programs).

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
BC won't install
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 06:40:29 AM »
Ok, you say you've reinstalled windows.
Make sure you run windows update or at least install the latest version of Windows Installer.

You should also defrag and run an integrity check on your HDD. If you have Diskeeper this is a great tool to use.

Offline The Stig

BC won't install
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »
I have diskeeper and have run it. I agree its a great tool. I have also downloaded all the latest updates and the newest windows installer too. None of this has helped though.