Author Topic: Starship Battle tactics and Maneuvers.  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
Re: Starship Battle tactics and Maneuvers.
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
The Assimilated Akira is my personal fave, as well as The "JOanofarc" galaxy-x, The assimilated Akira has a "sunburst" spread for its Warp plasma torpedoes thats just SICK, the ship is far from invincible but it is a great "offense" ship, the trick with it is you have to take advantage of the torpedo power FAST and HARD because if it gets hit to much its about as tough as a soverign IMO, but what i love about Akira classis the maneuverability/Firepower-I noticed in a STO trailer the akira shown had Pulse phasers, which must be one of the many options to weapon choices for players, i would love to see an Akira derivible mod with Pulse phasers. The Joan of Arc Galaxy x is fantastic for forward phaser cannon firepower but that is it's achilles heel- flanking it can take it out. I put it up against a Gorn Battleship and it took 3 of the Joan of arcs to take it down, 1 vs 1 it lost FAST every time, or against a Cardassian Hutlet. *(that ship is way overpowered IMO if the cardassians had ships like that in teh dominion war they would have pwned starfleet easily)

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 06:08:29 PM »
an akira with pule phasers would actually be amazing

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 02:30:35 AM »
Heres a good tactic I've been using online and in QB, and it involves the aft torpedos. Tired of the your aft photons moving to slow to him the enemy? Well next time throw your ship into full reverse and fire. The torpedos speed is reletive to the speed of the ship at launch, so when you fire them when the ship is at full speed, the photons move at a snails pace verse if you are at dead stop or full reverse the photons full at normal speed and acctually have a better chance in hitting your target.

Next is how to defeat someone using a Sov online. Personally I hate the ship because compared to everything else in BC KM its pretty much a god ship, or is it? I've found 2 ways of beating newbies to decent players using the Sovy, and it isn't with another sovergien. I use a big bad ship like the Neghar or the Dom battle ship, and I just keep the foward weapons on them, that usually results in about a 1:1 to 1:1.5 victory with them usually killing you the second time around. Another way using a small ship, like the Rhode Island being my favorite, and what I do is get up close and personal, I mean super up close. I either get on the top of bottom of the ship and pound away on a weak spot. Avoid the front and back at all cost. The hardest part about this is getting that close to the ship, as it torpedos will easily tear you up. I've would this tactic is awesome for me, it works against newbs up to advanced pilots. I did have one guy get me with a tractor and tear me to shreds, other will take the beating and warp out. I get about 1:2 victory out of it, depending on who I'm fighting. I managed to get one guy in a Duel match attacking randomly and I killed him 3 or 4 times with this method before he got bored or frustrated and left

Offline Hellsgate

• Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
  • Cookies: 2
  • Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
    • =^=Star Trek: New Worlds=^=
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
Just trying to be funny here, but go for the bridge officers' private bathroom(s) first. Then disable a singular nacelle (as I don't know if ~any~ non-Fed Ships can warp away on *one* nacelle,) one or more impulse engines and torpedo launcher ports.

If At First You Don't Succeed, So Much For Skydiving.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Then disable a singular nacelle (as I don't know if ~any~ non-Fed Ships can warp away on *one* nacelle,) one or more impulse engines and torpedo launcher ports.

HMMMMM might be intresting to find out , but think [not sure] I was testing a ship one time [a connie] agianst a romulan, think I got to SB12, and got the ship repaired. [been awhile]

EDIT: I got a connie and a prommie, since my objective was shoot of a nacelle on the connie, which I did, then transported from prommie to connie, And It Did warp to SB12.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline anazonda

• Cookies: 8
  • Is it time to back up and leave bc?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »
I have found out that Hit-And-Run attacks with the defiant in KM1 is a fair tactic...

The defiant has the advantages of being able to move fast enough to avoid Photons and Quantums, even at very close range, while being able to kick some serious b*tt with the forward weapons.

Against large ships, such as the Excalibur or Sov / Neg'var, that are relatively slow moving, take as much as you can energy away from the sensors, punch up to weapons and engines to max and shields to whatever is left. Now you can go head on firing pulse weapons at a slow pace, so you can see the shields at all times.
Keep flying straight at it untill you pass the shields, hit reverse and fire everything you've got as quickly as you can (we're talking 1 or two seconds perhaps), while turning quickly away from the ship so you won't hit it... And then run for it... If you're lucky you may even be able to say goodbye to your opponent with the rear quantums :) ... One or two attack runs is usually enough to take out the sensor array, allowing you to take you time to finish the enemy off... Even if you just disable the sensors you will have plenty of time to take out the shields and do some serious damage, before they get back up.

Against smaller ships (Akria, Vor'Cha, Borg Sphere), speed again plays a vital factor. Circeling ships is a good strategy, so you can charge your weapons while the enemey fires phasers against you.... Turn your ship when ready, and empty your weapons, and start circeling the other way around it, so your other shields may carge too. No idea in running here, as you will be quite able to take some punishment.

The only thin that can be problematic with this little beauty are bugships, BoP's and equally fast / manuverable ships. They can combat you on mostly the same terms as the Defiant. The Pulse Phasers however are your freind here. For some reason Theese are so incredibble effective agains theese, so in my expirience you can keep the nose facing your enemy for as much time as you can, even thoug you may get a bloddy nose... They will have a cracked skull...

- Good hunting. :)

Offline NatsuKagura

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 12:51:13 AM »
Heres another one I've been toying with online, if you have a bigger slower ship, or fighting a faster ship and their moving to quickly around you to bring your "main" weapons arc to bear, hit reverse. Its amazing how quickly a big ship will rotate to bring the ass kicking when you go from full speed to full reverse. Don't forget to get moving again cause you are a sitting duck to other ships while in reverse.

WOOW.. :eek.. no wonder I always beated  :angel when against my friend's uprated Galaxy class. She always using "that" tactics all the time when it's come to close combat.  :P A very impresive tactics, that a slight mistakes can be fatal. The different in the beginning she's always to get close to me by cycling my ships to left or right, then when the distance is about 20-30 km she suddenly turning her nose directly to my ship dead ahead at full speed as if she want to ram  :eek my ship. While closing, she unload all her forward torpedoes while rotating her ship to make a "riffle bulet" like effect. :arms: It's quite hard to avoid the torpedo sensor in this manner without giving up my position.  :roll 
With this... she get as close as posible to my ship to about 2-3km side by side to my ships... theen... :D here goes Psyco Diver tactics.... She's reversing  :evil right before we fully passed each other (as if she was trying to ram my tail with her tail), while aiming her nose to my tail with the SAME direction (left/rigt/up/down) :eek with my countermove. Depend on which part of my shields is drained ,she firing her phaser all the time. More of that, I can't rotate my ships effectively while maneuvering ( & vice versa) to avoid being tailed. The rest is I was ended destroyed or disabled by tailed by her all the time  :angel. The problem is I dunno how to counter it with my favourite valdore ship. Since my ship has a strong forward weapons with weak other arc weapons. This is a deadly tactics for one vs one combat with a comparable ships as well especially for a strong fore oriented vessel.  
Squad 17 Gotei 14! U.S.S.NatsuKagura , Reporting for duty SSSIIIIIRRRR...........!!!!

Offline builder396

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
what is also useful is to know that phasers can do lots of damage to subsystems while torpedos can quickly lower shields and damage the hull. pulse weapons are somewhere between it, if fired rapidly enough they can penetrate shielding a little bit (works also with torpedos, but not as good) and pretty good hit the hull and subsystems if the ship isnt too fast. really funny it gets if you have spot where you can fire up to 4 phasers at once. targeting the warp core with that burst is fatal, even through shields.

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
I've been experimenting recently with some maneuvering, trying to get the most out of slower ships.  I have found that using thrusters in concert with the normal directional pad leads to some interesting spins and such.

When attacking a larger ship, attack straight at them, then veer off around 30 km and get your bottom shields over them.  Then hit full power and hold "E" and "D" (roll right and turn right).  This produces a sort of descending corkscrew that is difficult for torpedoes to track and next to impossible to hit with disruptors.  You're still vulnerable to phaser fire, but it keeps tracking to different shield sections, so it dissipates quickly.

In a fast and jinky ship like the Defiant, when you pass another ship, pull a hard flip with "S" or "W" and the opposite thrusters.  This will flip you over faster than using the directional pad alone.  You can almost bring weapons to bear before you actually pass a ship using this tactic.  This also works fairly well with left- and right-hand turns.

Offline builder396

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 04:53:23 AM »
i alwaays wonder why my thrusters never work. i must have tried it....... many times.... and there was a long time ago a small sp round where it worked

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »
I just set mine to the NUM pad and restarted the game.  It always worked fine after that.  I also set the weapons to the pad (5 for torps, 0 for phasers and period/DEL for disruptors).  Keeps your left hand free to steer the ship, and your right can fire weapons or maneuver.

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
In small and/or extremely maneuverable ships (I love DJ's Athena & Valiant, Lint's Defiant, the Section 31 Century, & ZZ's Miranda) I tend to attack the enemy (usually a big ship i.e. Dom battleship, Hutet, LC Warbird) dorsal & ventral shields with quick right-side-up-to-upside-down-to-right-side-up rolls to port or starboard fore. Every now & then I'll sweep to port and move down as I go, then sweep to starboard, sweep down under the enemy, flip from aft to fore, distance myself by 20km, then emerge on the enemy's starboard and pound with fore torpedos. These techniques lead to most weapons fire directed @ dorsal & ventral shields, which for me are always the shields with the most damage.

In large heavy-cruiser-types, non-Fed, (mostly Cardassian Hybrid, Lint's Vorcha, & the Norexan) I tend to keep fore weapons arrays locked at all times. Being lazy, I'll turn to a lightly damaged shield vector and let it take the enemy's torpedo fire as opposed to the fore shields. I then back off while firing aft torpedoes to 60 km, rinse, repeat.

In Fed cruisers it's a blanket of phasers, with constant rolls, flips, hovers, etc., with dorsal & ventral phasers the heavy hitters. I love the SNS Galaxy & the MVAM Prometheus for this sort of duty.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Offlithium

• Cookies: 2
  • BCC Member
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »
What I have been doing in an Ambassador against an Excalibur is I in-system warp 100km, somewhere that I can fire on their top shield, go to speed 9 and fire all forward torpedoes. Then I spin around, go in reverse and fire rear torpedoes. When the Excalibur notices me, I open helm menu and as soon as they fire torpedo, in system warp. Rinse and repeat about 30 times and they are dead.