Author Topic: Starship Battle tactics and Maneuvers.  (Read 7031 times)

Offline CAPT joseph white

• Cookies: 1
Starship Battle tactics and Maneuvers.
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »

hello,

i was wondering if there is a way i can learn starship Battle tactics and maneuvers? if so where could i learn.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Re: Starship Battle tactics and Maneuvers.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »
there isn't really anywhere specific, you mainly just need to figure out what works for you.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »
target engines, sure you may take damage, but when youve destoried his engines, you back off repair get your ship back up, then go in and slowly get him, he can't move.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:46:36 PM »
Or sensors, when those are down, they are blind.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »
I normally go for sensors or engines. It all depends on my ship and the other ship to be honest. Every battle is different and I make it up as I go along.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
Tactics? What tactics? Make sure you die with your phasers blazing like any Maquis should!  8)
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »
Yeah, if I'm too badly damaged to win I just try to ram them, take them with me!

Offline Nexxus21

• Commanding USS Solaris Mk-I Refit
  • Cookies: 4
  • Our Continuing Mission Of Exploration
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
One of my more favorite tactics especially when I'm outnumbered or outgunned is to severely damage or destroy the impulse engines and let Gravity FX  take over from there while I turn my attention to my next adversary.

In a one on one use the same tactic once the impulse engines are down take out the sensors so they can't target/fire then either tractor them and hold them for questioning  8) or fire at will  :arms:
If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us...-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

Offline LordReserei

• Cookies: 10
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 08:51:04 AM »
One on One but against the odds in strength/tech....e.g Sovereign class against Scimitar

1) In-system warp far as possible away then stop.
2) Enter silent running.
3) Slowing intercept target, unable to detect, they'll be uncloaked.

4) When within torpedo range, boost power to weapons and fire a full spread of quantum torpedos at their cloaking device (since their shields should be down, this will also affect other systems like shields.

5) Unable to cloak, boost power to shields to engines, going to full red alert and fire all phasers with the torpedo tubes ready to load and fire more volleys.

Sidenote: Boost shields or redistribute then when needed during the battle.

Outnumbered/fleet

Two heads are always better than one, if you're part of a fleet and outnumbered, it's best to order all available ships to target one rather than individual, together you're stronger, separate you're weaker.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Phenom II x6 1090T BE|24GB DDR3 1600MHz|XFX HD6870 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB|CM Elite 430|CM TX3 Evo

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 03:44:11 AM »
Sorry to bring up a old thread but....

Depends on how you fight, personally I like a fast ships that can dodge, I like Intrepids and Rhode Islands the most, I sit back at around 50KM and pound away at ships with my phasers, I close to around 20-30km for torpedo strikes and back off, I use my distance and speed to dodge their energy weapons and torpedos. I make sure to at least boost my speed to 120%

When fighting with a big ship, like a galaxy, excalibur, ect I boost my shield recharge rate to 200% along with my repair system and I pretty much keep rotating the ship keeping fresh charged phasers firing, I like using the galaxy's dorsal and ventral phasers the most since you can fire 4-6 at a time

Offline LordReserei

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:09:46 AM »
Those are tactics I use also, just depends on the scenario....and good job on posting, given the subject, should be more popular and commented on in my opinion. =D
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Phenom II x6 1090T BE|24GB DDR3 1600MHz|XFX HD6870 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB|CM Elite 430|CM TX3 Evo

igalc

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
how does torpedo spread afect's the battle?
and what do spread do you use?

Offline LordReserei

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »
how does torpedo spread afect's the battle?
and what do spread do you use?

Depends on these things I'd say

- The enemy
- Torpedo Count
- Torpedo type
- Type of combat

If the enemy is some what of a match or more I tend to use full spread at close distance since the damage is more full on and concentrated, dual or single when running low.

Firing single can be wasteful if a ship has fast maneuverability.

I guess it's best to know your ship and know your enemy ultimately. ^.^

igalc

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 08:43:27 AM »
does it effect acuarsy?

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »
I usually stick to single shot for small fast ships, full spreads tend to miss all but big slow ships, even then you have to line up with them when you fire, you can't fire off hip like you could with single shot

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »
im gonna sticky this thread as it could prove useful to others in the future...  :)

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »
If the ship you're going against is fast and agile, target impulse engines. Otherwise it will fly circles around you and you can't do torpedo damage or just outrun you completely. With this tactic, a Constellation-class managed to beat quite a many Cardassian Galors and Keldons.

if the ship you're going against is big and slow.. hit and run. warp in, fire a full volley of torpedoes and phasers, then warp out, rinse and repeat.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
Heres something I've recently been abusing. It does require that you have the Eject Core mod installed though. And only works in Quickbattle. This only works once so if there are several ships, see if you can get them close together.

If you find yourself out-numbered, lower the weapons energy in the engineering menu. Boost then your engines and shields to maximum. Fly close to your target, fuse the antimatter injectors (requires BCS:TB), eject the warp core, then use your impulse engines to get as far away as you can and as fast as you can.

The shockwave from the warp core should be enough to disable enemy ships so that they can then be picked off 1 by 1. Only seems to work with a few ships. Most other times, after dumping the core, your power systems become inoperable.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
Most other times, after dumping the core, your power systems become inoperable.

When that happens. You're a sitting duck. So I take weapons offline, lower sensors as low as possible and divert whatever remaining energy into engines and shields.

The whole dumping core tactic is more fun with the Excal. Cos it already has a large explosion radius...
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »
If the ship you're going against is fast and agile, target impulse engines. Otherwise it will fly circles around you and you can't do torpedo damage or just outrun you completely. With this tactic, a Constellation-class managed to beat quite a many Cardassian Galors and Keldons.

if the ship you're going against is big and slow.. hit and run. warp in, fire a full volley of torpedoes and phasers, then warp out, rinse and repeat.
If you are using Constellation class pack (the most recent one) then it's most likely that you'll beat KM 1.0 Galors easyli ;) I know cuz I fitted hardpoints to TMP Constitution, TMP Akula, USS Brattain (TMP Miranda) and their HPs were based on Dreamyards Excelsior ;)