Author Topic: BSOD in clean, fresh install  (Read 744 times)

-Kixote-

BSOD in clean, fresh install
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »
Hi everyone.

It's been like 7 or 8 days now trying to resolve this. Recently i've bought the Bridge Commander game from a store that was selling old games. It was in perfect condition, no scratches. Installed it in a friend's PC and it worked perfectly... then i installed it in my own computer and i got the BSOD (Black Screen w/ fed cursor inmediatly upon launch)

The other computer was: Pentium IV, 1 gb ram, GF6100, windows XP.

Mine is: AMD 64X2 Brisbane 5600+ at 3.5 ghz, ECS a780g-m, 4 gb ram, HD4650, Windows Server 2008 acting as a workstation.

I thought it was the OS, but then again I installed it on another PC, with XP with similar characteristics to n? 1, to no use.

I've seen that almost everyone is getting BSOD after the install of a mod or something similar, but never from a clean install, that's what's been bothering me... patched too and got the same issue.

Here's my console report:

Also, tried to copy the entire folder of the game from my friend's pc, that didn't work either.

Any help would be greatly apreciated...

P.S.: Copying the folder or installing it, the error is always the same, something with .py files. I've copied the entire /scripts folder from the SDK (development kit) to the folder of the game, and... nothing.

Any ideas?

-Kixote-

Re: BSOD in clean, fresh install
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Tried installing a Virtual machine (Windows XP), but got a different error.

Rendered creation failure: Error string from renderer was: ""

Ideas? maybe the video card that MS Virtual Machine emulates?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
It's possible that the VM software doesn't do DirectX.

Here is something that might work.

Install BC, install the v1.1 Patch, delete the scripts directory and copy the scripts directory from the SDK.
Also don't install in C:\Program Files\, since you are on a Vista like OS.
Actually, first try installing to a directory other than Program Files
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

-Kixote-

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:06:40 PM »
Indeed, checking DXDIAG, i've realized that my VM (Virtual Machine) doesn't have Direct3D.

I want to play this game so badly, must be because i can't :P

will try a diferent VM, i've read that VMWare incorporates D3D support.

dear god, i've never had such a difficult time playing a game!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »
You can't play it without a VM?

What about the Hypervisor vm in Server 2008?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

-Kixote-

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »
Nop, I can't play it without a VM... i've tried everything.

Didn't know about the Hyper-V. Since i've bought a while ago VMWare, i'm trying to get it working with D3D capabilities. If that doesn't work, i'll try that other solution.

Thanks for the replies.