Author Topic: Immersion Core v4 ++ Status Report  (Read 9243 times)

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1139
Immersion Core v4 ++ Status Report
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:15:07 AM »

STATUS REPORT
18 Dec 2006

Hello All!

It has been over a year since I started development work on the Immersion Core.  I think it is about time that I kick off the development on this new board with a decent status report.

Immersion Core v4++ (Formally Immersion Framework and WalkFX Immersion) is the culmination of 4 versions of design and code which aims to convert Bridge Commander from just another space simulator to a totally Immersive detailed universe in a ways which other commercial games and mods have previously ignored.
The flexibility provided for us in the Totally Games Bridge Commander engine in terms of Python scripting has allowed the game to evolve in ways most non-open source games cannot.  It is this that I believe allows games like BC (released like 4 years ago) to compete with today?s DirectX9 games.

Some of the features I am most proud of at the moment are:

The Transporter

The Transporter will transport almost anything recognised by the Immersion Universe!  You can literally transport a weapon someone has dropped on a plant surface or from any room in any ship in your solar system into any other.  You can also transport people, cars, consoles, tricorders, Borg.  Whatever you want, all from a nice interface!

Flexible Universe

The flexibility of the universe.   Immersion core will quite happily sit on top of pretty much any combination of mods and will work in Single Player as well as Quick Battle mode.

Weapons and Inventory Items

Weapons ? you can blow holes in anything in the Immersion!  Killing Saffi is actually really good fun!  You will also notice that if you shoot a Bolian they will spurt blue blood and a Human will spurt green blood!  All weapons have just the same handling as inventory items.  You can give them to other players and drop them on the floor where you stand, and a 3D model will appear where they were dropped.  A player can then walk over the item to pick it up again, provided nobody steals it with a transporter first!

Interfaces and Computer Cores

The interface system.  All interfaces in Immersion are detailed and work.  You can able to ?hack? into other ships with command codes, then gain access to their computer core and set off their self destruct,  without even firing a torpedo!  These are in my opinion the cool little things which allow real immersive game play, so some good flying, tactics and a shuttle craft can start to take out a Borg cube.  Immersion also is designed with expandability in mind so hopefully there will be people that follow me and change Immersion to add even more features!

AI and Characters

This is a feature very much still under development.  Once I get to finish off the Physics engine I will focus all my efforts on this.  Then Immersion Core will be ready for a BETA!

TODO
  • Bullet Manager Tweaks (95%)
  • Interfaces (40%)
  • Physics Engine (50%)  Implimented but not working LOL
  • Simple Character AI (20%)
  • Profile / Debug Project (N/A)

I'd stick the figure 70% overall complete on it. :)

All the best

John

p.s. If you are a modeler (good or not)  please feel free to start making weapon models, room models,  objects which go inside rooms like Borg alcoves and stuff!   The more content i can start to stick in the game the better it will be!  ;D

Merry Christmas!

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
Re: Immersion Core v4 ++ Status Report
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:16:39 AM »
I would love some feedback - but could you please post it on our new board in the interest of keeping it all in one place. :) Cheers :mrgreen:

HERE

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:40:47 AM »
It looks very nice (sorry, don't have an account yet, will make one when I think of a password). I guess this is a total rewrite from what I have?;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
oo a G36 in the first screenshot, that with the early 21st/late 20th century weapons?

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:03:57 PM »
:mrgreen: Yup a(nother) total re-write.  I think i have been through about two versions since the one you have. 

hehe yea - gotta love far cry.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »
You can also transport people, cars, consoles, tricorders, Borg.

that list sounds funny when reasing, all thes inanimate Objects then Borg.

Also Borg sounds awesome

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 03:34:47 AM »
I can't wait Kudos on this one Jedi, btw what is that thing next to kiska?

Weasel

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 03:54:20 AM »
A portion of her cardiovascular system, I believe. Arterial spray, if you'd prefer.

mitchhankins

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
so you can actually beam onto a borg cube and shoot the pieces of sht? :D
sounds amazing
LJ I LOVE YOU LOL

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »
A portion of her cardiovascular system, I believe. Arterial spray, if you'd prefer.

I know that, what is that black thing to her left?

Weasel

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 08:04:53 PM »
Oh, that.... Well, that's the window-cleaning platform, silly. It's important to keep the Ent's windows spotless.

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »
lol yea it's a poorly modeled Argo car (which comes out of the shuttle craft thing) hehe

Anyways!  Another screenshot for you all,  Model thanks to our very own Rob Archer!

AndrewJ

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »
If we have holodecks could you program in a Jessica Alba.. por...se....errmm......adult program ? :D

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 02:17:49 PM »
If we have holodecks could you program in a Jessica Alba.. por...se....errmm......adult program ? :D
Might be intresting, but the assualt team might Not ever leave
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »
Immersion is designed to be moddable so ofcourse you could add whatever you want :)

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »
How many adult programs, might confuse the Klingons, if you remember they think Human females are not to attractive,(Generations, when Geoordie awoke In sickbay)
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

leon2310

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »
i'm curious, when would it be ready,

i'm not a modder but i'm pretty shure i wil enjoy immersion core.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »
please never ever ever ask for release dates, or updates of any kind... :)
it's sort of an "unwritten rule" from modders...
for further information on the Immersion Project, check out the BCS Forums: http://bcscripters.us.to/forums/index.php

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »
An adult program on the holodeck... Maybe we could run simulations with the "Seven" hologram. Lol. Can't wait for Immersion.

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »
Immersion opens up so many new directions for BC to go in - yet you guys choose to think about the ones that might involve naughty pictures of Jeri Ryan! :P tut tut!