Author Topic: silver texture  (Read 501 times)

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
silver texture
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »
I need some help, my program is fireworks which is limiting me badly lol, and because this is for both SFC and BC I cant use specular maps to make it shinny

I need some help with how to get a color close to this

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
Re: silver texture
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:20:21 PM »
You can't really get a metallic/silvery effect without specular highlights or reflection, they're part of what makes "silver" different to "gray" basically. However, all is not lost. Have you tried sampling a metal texture from elsewhere? A quick run through Google Images or deviantART's resources should bring up the right sort of thing.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline candle_86

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »
yes problem is the glare effects they use 99% of the time to do it, I wondered if it was somehow possible to do it by coloring pixels seperatly then just copy pasting the entire texture, this is similar to how I make my aztechs but on a smaller scale

what do you think about this, Im considering emailing the author to use it

err its a countertop, I wonder if I need to ask lmao

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
Copyright wise, yes, strictly you'd need to email to ask permission. Practically speaking, however, you won't get in trouble for using it as it's unlikely, if not impossible, that this will ever get any attention from the original "artist", yet alone negative attention, so you will be fine. I've never heard of any case where a minor copyright infraction used on a non-profit work has lead to any trouble. Ideally, it's often best to look through a dedicated texture archive that releases it's content under Creative Commons or some similar lisence - you're also more likely to get better and higher quality images from those sorts of sites.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline candle_86

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
well i shrunk it down and it did excatly what I wanted lol, and I think I can use illimuination maps combine to make a poor looking silver lol

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 01:54:10 PM »
have photoshop?
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline candle_86

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 02:10:30 PM »
no to expensive, I have Macromedia Fireworks MX2004