Author Topic: hobbs' research  (Read 5978 times)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
hobbs' research
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:32:15 AM »
this is my new topic for my research on all things BC

first project:

GLOWS

Is it posible to have glows change with different alert status'
forexample: at green alert the ship has normal glows, at yellow alert some glows are turned off and others are turned on.

I think it only works if you use MVAM but i'm not sure can any one enlighten me? (pun intended lol)
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: hobbs' research
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:41:21 AM »
since they do it with the Bridges, it should be perfectly possible with the ships themselves.  don't forget, people have allready written scripts to only light the Bussards when necessary for Warp.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline hobbs

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
since they do it with the Bridges, it should be perfectly possible with the ships themselves.  don't forget, people have allready written scripts to only light the Bussards when necessary for Warp.
really? ididnt know that lol
hmm thanks will look into that :)
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »
LOL!!  baz and wiley do it all the time for the JJ's
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline hobbs

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »
New research:

What is the most recent starfleet registry number? and what year is that set?

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
Well, for STO, a Sovie variant we see is NX-91000 or something like that. By that time its 2409, 30 years after Nemesis which took place in 2379. So I'd say you've got from the 80000's to the 90000's in there.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the question,
Do you mean the highest cannon number?  I can't say for sure, but judging by the few newer ships we've seen in DS9 and Voyager, a ship in the 74xxx or 75xxx range would be reasonable for the mid 2370s.  The highest cannon one I can think of is Prometheus NCC-74913.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
cheers guys new i could rely on the community...

to clarify:

i want to know what the latest reg number is and what year in trek universe that was set.

I'm working on a project with another community member and we need reg numbers for new ships. the date we have the ships set is 2387 and 2393

in the books "startrek: corps of engineers" the sabre class they use is the ncc-81623

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
Well, the Titan (Luna Class) is registry NCC - 80102 with the other Luna's ranging from 80100 to 80200 I think.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
As I recall, DJ's ships from that time period have registries in the low 9xxxx range.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
Yes, its possible to change colors with alerts. The script can trigger a texture glow change at alert, as it does to change to damage textures if the ship takes damage, all that is is scripts swapping out texture files.

It would require new texture glow Tga's added, and then a new path in the script to tell BC that when you hit say green alert=swap to green glow tga or whatever.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 11:21:36 AM »
thanks daystar70 cool will look into the scripts.

also the low 9xxxxx good as we were looking at 92409 +
(i'm thinking that starfleet have released a lot of ships to build up the fleet after the dominion war, borg attacks etc...)

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
I'm not an expert and scripting is not my Forte but i've stumbled on "some" knowledge of python scripting from years of using poser and other 3d programs and folllowing tutorials, i also double checked with my IT computer scripter genius buddy and confirmed my guess that it can be done, he said it actually would be extremely easy to do, again its the same type of command string that tells the game to swap to damage textures when you get hit and damaged, the trick is knowing the proper place to add this value and path string to without causing an issue.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 11:33:45 AM »
indeed im a trial and error scripter lol

Offline hobbs

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »
well i asked about the glow changes at different alerts... What about blinking lights? As in having some 'blinkies' on at green alert, then different ones at yellow and red. Again i can use mvam to swap hp files but what about alerts?

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »
Is it posible to have glows change with different alert status'
forexample: at green alert the ship has normal glows, at yellow alert some glows are turned off and others are turned on.

Depends, I'd need a more specific example of what you mean.

i also double checked with my IT computer scripter genius buddy and confirmed my guess that it can be done, he said it actually would be extremely easy to do, again its the same type of command string that tells the game to swap to damage textures when you get hit and damaged, the trick is knowing the proper place to add this value and path string to without causing an issue.

Code: [Select]
pObject.ReplaceTexture
Will either swap texture or not work at all.

well i asked about the glow changes at different alerts... What about blinking lights? As in having some 'blinkies' on at green alert, then different ones at yellow and red. Again i can use mvam to swap hp files but what about alerts?

Depends again what you have in mind. And no MVAM, I'd recommend new code entirely--merging 2 mods is a headache.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
IIRC Mleo once mentioned that BC doesn't allow swapping glow maps.

Offline Side 3

• Cookies: 1
  • All glory to the Haruhi-toad!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:47 AM »
Registries have never had any set meaning. late TNG onward they'd just pick random numbers. It's not a strict guideline you have to follow, and it should be fun for you, not a hassle. If you really had to settle on something just go 5 digits. Memoryalpha and all those 'conjectural' sites have lists.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:44:25 AM »
hi :)

in regards to my previous posts:

at the moment i use MVAM mod to change my Uss Griffin from extended nacelles to retracted nacelles. this simply swaps the nif files. but i also have different hp's for both versions so at retracted the ship will only travel at a max warp 5 but will seriously damage the nacelles (wanted it to damage the ship as well but dont know how yet).

so what i'm going to do is have a new ship i'm working on have two identical nifs (different names of course) and when i hit mvam it swaps the nifs and hp's and gives me different colour blinking lights.

one to simulate "red alert" one for "green alert"

unless there is a better way of doing this  :idk: :help:

In regards to a new thought:

I startrek science what hapens to the warp plasma when it enters the nacelles, is it all used up for use in creating the warp field or is there an excess amount of plasma that is "lost"

my theory is this: on the asumption that a portion of the warp plasma is lost as waste this plasma could be redirected back into other systems such as power generation or even the warp drive systems thus creating a far more efficient warp drive.

any thoughts welcome :)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
actually, i think it goes out the equivelant of a tailpipe.  that was the idea WAY back in UC (ST6).  that the only way they could track Chang was by his exhaust.  I believe that was incorporated into the latest KM?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read