Author Topic: Symphonic Star Trek  (Read 778 times)

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
Symphonic Star Trek
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »
This album is wonderful, the reinterpretations of the Alexander Courage music are rousing and exciting! I really wish CBS had remastered the music with creations like this too, purists would have been driven mental, but just think of how enriched the experience would have been!

The downside is the terrible home-made sound effects albums of this type always seem compelled to include.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Star-Trek-Erich-Kunzel/dp/B000003D0M

Use the soundtrack sampler to get a taste of some of it.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
Re: Symphonic Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:01:27 PM »
Yeah these do sound pretty nifty.

Offline LordReserei

• Cookies: 10
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »
Yeah, I've had this CD for a while now, wasn't a big fan of the sound FX either but since I listen to them via wmp I just leave 'em out of the playlist...funniest to me is humpback whale song, sounds like Chewbacca after being kicked in the nuts.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Phenom II x6 1090T BE|24GB DDR3 1600MHz|XFX HD6870 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB|CM Elite 430|CM TX3 Evo

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »
Yeah I got this when it came out. Nice voice over by Leonard at the begining.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »
I've had it since 1999, and most of it is SUPERB. The TMP theme is the best version I've ever heard, a little faster tempo, more military-style drums, and it's so much clearer than than the one on the TMP soundtrack. The little computerized "zot" noise at the beginning is annoying. The Klingon Battle track is also superb, except they felt the need to dub LOUD and CHEESY lazer sounds over it. The TWOK suite is very good, but the place it really shines are in the overtures to Generations and ST6. They appear back to back, and due to their similarity, it almost seems to blend into one track.

There is another one Telarc did called "Bond and Beyond" with great TV and movie theme renditions. The medley of '60's show themes is awesome, as are the renditions from Terminator 2, First Blood, and of course, James Bond.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:38:39 PM »
I still maintain my absolute favourite tracks are the Courage reduxs, the suite from The Menagerie is worthy of John Williams (the orion stripper scene puts me in mind of the scene in The Lost World where people get picked off one by one by the raptors in the long grass), and the other version is like Danny Elfmann smoked a huge pile of crack and recomposed it in the most flamboyant way possible.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!