Author Topic: Getting the Most Out of Modded BC  (Read 8661 times)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Getting the Most Out of Modded BC
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »
I thought it might be a good idea to have all the helpful advice I've seen to increase BC's performance in one place, so when someone asks we have a "use search button" response for improving game performance.  :D

To begin I'll list the most simple and common ways to speed up BC:

1. Reduce screen resolution
2. Switch to low color depth
3. Use a non- "T&L" graphics option (recommended for integrated graphics cards or cards with less than 256mb of memory), I believe T&L is selected by default
4. Use the low damage setting or turn off visible damage all together
5. Turn off mipmaps
6. Do not use enhanced glows
7. Turn off specular highlights

Cleaning out your "Screenshots" folder can decrease BC startup time (info provided by Lionus)

Although some may come to the logical conclusion to switch the model and/or texture quality to medium or low, this is actually a bad idea since most mods aren't configured to run under these settings, so unless you know what mods do and don't I recommend against playing with those two options.

NanoFX, despite the way it revolutionized BC modding, is a big slowdown of BC. For those on lower end or older computers it may be a good idea to disable some features. The best way to improve performance with NanoFX are:

1. Turning off BridgeFX
2. Turning off ExplosionFX
3. Turning off SpecialFX (Atmosphere's, Plasma trails, etc.)

DS9FX can be a little taxing also, the manual gives some very good options on how to get the most out of the mod, but in the interest of completion I'll post the major ones here also. Note that you will need UMM to access these options:

1. Turn off planets in a few systems. The DS9 and Cardassia maps are the largest in Xtended, with 14 and 8 planets respectively. If you are in a large scale battle, this many planets in one map can cause a bit of a slow down, especially in the case of the DS9 map.
2. An alternative to turning off planets completely is to reduce their texture detail. This can be especially helpful in the DS9 and Cardassia maps.
3. Use the wormhole 7 model (selected by default in Xtended), as it is both accurate to the Bajoran wormhole we saw on TV and low poly. Those computers on the low and/or older end of the spectrum may want to avoid wormhole 8, as it is a little more high poly than the others.
4. Reduce the number of plasma storms in the Badlands. Although they are low poly, if you are on an older system, you will enjoy a small performance boost in larger battles. Additionally, you can adjust the detail of the Badlands model you are using.

DS9FX is also very beneficial to have on your current BC install(s), as it includes several game fixes. All players with DS9FX should make sure that the "Memory Cleaning" and "Model Pre-loading" features are turned on for better performance. Please see the DS9FX Xtended manual for complete details on what these features do and how they help your BC instillation.

Another thing you can do with DS9FX is to cut down DS9's textures back down to their native 256 x 256 resolution. You can do this without ANY loss in the quality of the station because the textures were simply up-converted (stretched) to their current 512 x 512, which doesn't improve quality and just taxes the graphics card un-necessarily. Understand that you'll only get a marginal performance boost at best, but for those on lower-end machines every little bit helps, and combined with taking the steps above, well, pennies add up to dollars. ;)

Disabling some features of Bridge Plugin may increase performance. Animations (for example the Intrepid bridges command console folding out at yellow and red alerts) and texture swapping (used to give the appearance of animated LCARS) are the biggest bridge slowdowns today. You will need UMM to access these options.

1. Disable Active LCARS
2. Disable Animated Maps
3. Disable Animations
4. Disable Extra Models - Only applies to Galaxy and Sovereign bridges at present. 3rd Era went through some trouble to make sure that the extra models didn't cause too many problems on PC's, even older mid-range PC's should not have to much trouble with the extra models. I recommend this option only for the oldest of the oldest (or crappiest of the crappiest  :P )

There are mods that can add additional ships to the map, for example Abandon Ship, AI Shuttle Launching, MVAM, etc. These may cause slowdowns in large scale battles, but I don't personally foresee them being an issue for one on one - medium sized battles on most computer 5 years old and younger. Turn them off for performance boosts. (Thanks goes to RifleMan for the info).

Of course the single biggest (and most obvious) slowdowns affecting BC today is hands down ship models and their respective textures. High-poly models with 2048x2048 resolution textures can cause major lag on older and even some modern systems, especially with NanoFX. Models/textures like this are generally made on a "look pretty first, playable second" mentality and therefore should not be used for everyday gaming unless you have the system to power them. They make for GREAT screenshots though...  :D

Also, after installing new ships, it is always a good idea to delete the vox files in the ship folder so the game will damage the model properly. However, while the game creates the new vox files, there will be a slowdown, therefore it is not a good idea to play with new ships en mass if you're creating new vox files. (Thanks goes to El for providing this info).

Adjusting your graphics card settings is of course a logical/given step when trying to increase performance not just for BC, but for any computer game. There are various ways to do this, depending on what graphics card you have, the software, and drivers installed. For complete details you'll need to go to your graphics card manufacturers website or the instruction manual that came with your card/PC and go from there.

I think those are the major BC slowdowns that are asked about the most, but please feel free to add to this topic and I'll add them to the first post for easy reference. Hope this helps all you newbies out there with older/lower end machines.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
Re: Getting the Most Out of Modded BC
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
One more major slowdown of BC: huge screenshot file. clean it up, save the pics elsewhere and suddenly your BC starts up faster.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »
One more major slowdown of BC: huge screenshot file. clean it up, save the pics elsewhere and suddenly your BC starts up faster.
Added to first post.

I did not know that one...

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
last time I tried reducing bits on my BC install to decrease memory usage, the whole thing crashed to the desktop.  in some cases, caution may be advised.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
actually, I've found that BC runs alot better if you do not use T&L, especially on low end cards.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
actually, I've found that BC runs alot better if you do not use T&L, especially on low end cards.
That's odd I've always heard otherwise...could it be depending on the graphics card?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
Aces is right...  when i had a somewhat mid-range system, i found using the non-T&L option was better indeed...

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
Aces is right...  when i had a somewhat mid-range system, i found using the non-T&L option was better indeed...

Hmm, that's interesting. But I'm curious, I haven't tried it yet but doesn't it look better with T&L on?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »
wasn't T&L specific to ATI cards?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »
uh, guys, please translate "T&L"
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
First post updated with Aces & Jimmy's info on T&L usage, I'm with King on some T&L info, I looked it up but I don't quite get it...

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:39:15 AM »
 When I filmed my big battle videos like "The Battle of Taiga", I had a Nvidia GeForce 5500 and it lagged like crazy, since I use only the best mods and ships I can find. And to get the best battle effects, I had everything on except AI Shuttle Launch, AI Abandon ship, and AI Warp, aswell as AI Surrender. Them are still off to this date because when a ship is abandoned with escape pods, it laggs while filming. Now that I have my new computer though, I am able to create larger battles without much of a problem.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 01:18:27 AM »
Make sure that you have latest driver updates. I think that King Class Scout can prove the effect of this.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 02:08:46 AM »
As I understand it, T&L (Transform & Lighting) forces the Graphics card to take over more of the graphical memory load from the RAM, so it looks better graphically, but low to medium end cards might not be able to handle the load, which will cause some slowing.

I've found that just by picking the non-T&L, and maybe reducing color depth, I can safely push most of the rest of the settings to the max with minimal slowing, and I've only got an upper mid-range computer.  But I suppose that's a matter of opinion, you should always experiment with your settings to find your optimum balance.

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 04:26:05 AM »
uh, guys, please translate "T&L"

T&L is a feature that modern GPUs have that don't take over more of the graphical memory load from the RAM as ACES was mentioning rather, they take away more of the graphical computational processes from the CPU... so as to balance out the creation of graphics - especially 3d graphics - being rendered on the screen. The GPU "transforms" the wire meshes of objects and in a nutshell, smooths them out so that they are as realistic as possible for display. While the "lighting" part refers to the GPUs handling of 3d generated light sources on screen. This saves A LOT of data crunching from the CPU which can then concentrate more on things like AI (artificial intelligence).

Prior to T&L capable graphic cards, all the T&L and AI and other calculations were pretty much handled by the CPU... those were the days when computer graphics were no where near the level or realism they are today. One example of a none T&L graphic card were the TNT series from Nvidia. Not a bad card for its day but the graphics it generated were for lack of a better word... a lot "clunkier" than what we have today.    

(jb76 edit - fixed quote tags...)

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 04:28:27 AM »
Sorry for the double post but I must have accidentally removed one of the quotation marks in my above post and my answer to the T&L question was included in the body of the quote.  :)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 04:40:08 AM »
Thanks to everyone who clarified T&L. In a nutshell turn them off if your computer sucks  :dance

When I filmed my big battle videos like "The Battle of Taiga", I had a Nvidia GeForce 5500 and it lagged like crazy, since I use only the best mods and ships I can find. And to get the best battle effects, I had everything on except AI Shuttle Launch, AI Abandon ship, and AI Warp, aswell as AI Surrender. Them are still off to this date because when a ship is abandoned with escape pods, it laggs while filming. Now that I have my new computer though, I am able to create larger battles without much of a problem.
Mods that add stuff to the map like shuttle launching, abandon ship, even MVAM etc. slipped my mind. Thanks RifleMan. Adding to the first post for easy reference.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 07:59:59 AM »
lol then even i learned something today...  i bought a new computer 2 months ago with alot of ram and a very decent gfx card; i suppose i should start playing BC with the T&L option on, from now on, after all; since my computer now can handle a hell of alot more than my old one could...   :)
(before i only had a 2.5hgz processor, 1 gig ram, and nvidia geforce 5500fx 256mb)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »
T and L applies only to dedicated seperate graphic creations chips!  this one runs stock and whatever was dropped in to begin with.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »
I'm sorry about the confusion.  But still, if you have a low end machine you should turn it off, it may not look as good, but it will run a lot better without it.

One thing I didn't see on that list at the top was Mipmapping, a feature that is specifically designed to save on memory usage.