Author Topic: NX PDW Bridge and USS Righteous WIP  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
NX PDW Bridge and USS Righteous WIP
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
Assuming permissions ok, and knowing frustrations of new working bridges, thought this might make interesting experiment.  Take existing bridge (so avoid anim probs) and adapt.  I always liked the NX bridge layout but looks too industrial.  This is just an experiment to see if can update to later eras.  With new textures, lighting and lcars, could be working in less than a month.   Any feedback welcome, especially on style of roof (ribbed?  flat? domed?)     Thought of putting transparent LCAR screens (like the Excalibur MSD) on top of consoles so crew have something to look at  :)

EDIT: gone for PDW era feel, experimenting with textures and lightmaps...

EDIT: ingame video added 3/6

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
Re: NX Bridge mod
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
This is actually an interesting idea that few have been able to do much.

I'd like to see a more detailed Nebula class bridge with textures that we could do more with. Or add some stations (albeit even nonfunctial and empty ones) to bridges that could use more detail.

I like the idea. This is going beyond retexturing, though, and permissions would likely be needed.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »
This is actually an interesting idea that few have been able to do much.

I'd like to see a more detailed Nebula class bridge with textures that we could do more with. Or add some stations (albeit even nonfunctial and empty ones) to bridges that could use more detail.

I like the idea. This is going beyond retexturing, though, and permissions would likely be needed.

We've obviously been thinking along same lines  :)  I'd considered same, but just picked on this as first possible project. Thought about time we had a brand new bridge, even if a bit of a kitbash. Besides, in spirit of ST itself which we all know recycled bridges and bits of bridges endlessly...

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »
My personal request for this is the FC Excelsior bridge with the helm console redone to look like the USS Righteous from Star Trek: Borg. It's ugly, sure, but it would motivate me to finish that monstrosity.

Say the Enterprise A or Miranda bridges with LCAR friendly helm consoles would allow for several new bridges to be made without worrying about the "balls" on the ends of the panels.

There's so many things you can do with this idea.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
Can you post some pics of what you had in mind? 

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »
How about a video?

&feature=PlayList&p=EC15E8E30186D5D2&index=6

I want to recreate this bridge but the only thing that stops me is the helm panel, lightmapping, and those beams at the back of the bridge (for some reason they stay beige on FC Excelsior bridge instead of being steel).

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:49:23 PM »
Is this sort of thing? Obviously got scale and position wrong, and few things gone screwy on export (lost textures  :'( ).  But the principle's right if can crack?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »
impressive!

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 02:04:26 PM »
I really like this design. :)

Could be the next stage in some of us modders becoming bridge superstars since 3rd era. Perhaps? :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »
Could be the next stage in some of us modders becoming bridge superstars since 3rd era. Perhaps? :P
i, for one, certainly hope so :D  :thumbsup:

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »
That's the ticket. Another something that can be improved? The chairs :P.

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
i agree, no sovereign command chair, possibly something like the Prometheus tactical, and helm chairs
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »
I like the Sovereign chair. I actually dislike the Prometheus command chair. The crew chairs are what bug me here. If the ship gets rocked everyone is going to be flying.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
Re: NX Bridge remodel
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
More for Barihawk  :)  (Mod: could this be split off as separate thread on USS Righteous?)

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
Looking better. Loving the chairs. Now, the top of the bridge is grilled so that most of the light in the lightmaps come from the side of the bridge. In the game, the cieling is open and is essentially one huge light with the support beams still Xing in the center. Can you open that up and properly lightmap it? The Righteous if nothing else was very well lit.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 02:00:33 PM »
So ceiling is just a white dome with the crossbeams as FCEx?  Should in theory be poss.   Chairs are ones used in Nebula and Excalibur bridges. 

Good(ish) news... cracked exporting prob.  The imported FC nif had all objects named as Editable Mesh.  So what I (or someone with any Max :) ) has to do is just rename objects as "Floor", "crew chair", etc... then should be able to export to ingame nif with original FCEx textures/maps!  (in theory at least, lol).    Any new objects like helm and chair will have to be textured separately.   But at least don't have to redo entire bridge. 

Any takers? 

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »
So ingame though still with some texture issues... :(    Positive is that if all sorted you'll be able to use the FC textures you've already been working.   Next big issue will be animated doors and gamma/alert change probs.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Mostly the light posts on the columns. That I can leave up to you :P. The textures themselves I can work with once you get it more stable.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 02:26:53 AM »
Oh boy, I like that new helm station, feels very Voyager like ;)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
Re: NX Bridge remodel/USS Righteous
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »
Latest results.  Will probably lose animated lcars (though can ifl)  and doors unless can find solution.  Can't seem to do much at present about shading on left side of bridge. Seems to be integral to model. Suppose could try relighting, but what a pain  :(    The EntB would be an easier bridge to work with but know it's not quite the same  :)