Author Topic: FarShot's WIPs - The fire in which we burn...  (Read 31893 times)

Offline Side 3

• Cookies: 1
  • All glory to the Haruhi-toad!
Re: Surpasser Class - FarShot's WIPs - Concept sketch extravaganza!
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »
Interesting, though personally, I would try to better merge the bridge with the hump, as right now (imo) it really breaks the flow of the design. Perhaps make it (the bridge section) swoop up and out to completely blend in with the secondary hull?

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 07:57:19 AM »
I've thought about this before and have played with integrating the bridge fully into the rest of Deck One.  It never looked right though.  I'm thinking of just rounding out the platform the bridge sits on and making it cut into the dorsal bulge.  I'll whip up some concept sketches on the meantime.

However, I really need comments on the H, I, and the bridge.

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »
I think the I is fine but you should change the H's saucer to the first "alternative".

That being said...... I don't know much but I know I wanna get these ingame! :)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »
The Surpasser is looking good.  I really like the nacelles, especially at the front end.

As for the Ent-H, I can see how you've started incorporating the forward deflector design into it, though it looks a bit sovereignesque still at this point to me.  Though, it's hard to create some sense of new style when the same basic design has been done so many times before.

Offline starship

• Cookies: 6
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »
She?s looking very good, but I would make the nacele?s front rounded, not closed in hard angle. ;)

Offline FarShot

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
The Surpasser is looking good.  I really like the nacelles, especially at the front end.
She?s looking very good, but I would make the nacele?s front rounded, not closed in hard angle. ;)

Hmm, should I listen to starship, or DJ Curtis?  Starship or DJ Curtis...

I'll pick the one with less effort.  The front stays pointy. That's what she said lol.

UPDATE- Some H sketches.  Might hybridize the 3 versions and find something I like.  This version attempts to bring it more in the Excalibur direction (top view).

Offline FarShot

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:40 AM »
Alright, another H concept (I can just dish these things out :P), Surpasser saucer texture sketch (escape pods Ambassador style), and new bridge deck/upper hull merge (as conceptualized in 2nd sketch.)

Offline FarShot

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 01:07:36 AM »
Some very, very basic textures applied.  Not very happy with the nacelle tops' colors, so I'll try to bring it more towards something Ent B-ish.

Sorry about triple post, but no one is commenting... :idk:

EDIT - In case anyone is interested, it's about 5000 polies.  This is without mesh cleanup though, which I'll be doing within the next couple of days.  Boolean unions tend to leave lots of unwanted crap laying about.

Offline Nihilus

• Cookies: 14
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 01:22:04 AM »
I'm liking it.  It would be interesting if you could give the Bussard Collectors a "Galaxy Class" look, where you can make out the tips of the Collectors through the redness.  If you get what I'm saying lol.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 01:45:44 AM »
Perfectly.  If I can do transparent bussards (not likely) I'd do this.

Since that's unlikely, it would look like this.

I don't like actually being able to see the bulbs inside.  I just think the entire thing should be filled with red swirly gas lol.  Likely it'll look like how the Eclipse class bussards look without transparency (as DJ released them.)

Offline FarShot

Re: FarShot's WIPs - Concept sketchs and Surpasser (pic intensive)
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »
I'll just throw this out before going to bed.

Offline Chronocidal Guy

• Cookies: 296
  • Obsessive detailing is just what I do.
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2010, 03:22:17 AM »
Whoa.. hold up one minute... how were those bussards done above?  I've been really out of the loop, but I thought transparent illumination was impossible...

If I can get the Sovereign's bussards to look like that, I'll probably die of awesomeness overload.

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 03:23:41 AM »
Whoa.. hold up one minute... how were those bussards done above?  I've been really out of the loop, but I thought transparent illumination was impossible...

If I can get the Sovereign's bussards to look like that, I'll probably die of awesomeness overload.

And take the rest of us with you I would imagine lol.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2010, 08:59:09 AM »
Whoa.. hold up one minute... how were those bussards done above?  I've been really out of the loop, but I thought transparent illumination was impossible...

Well, you're not just out of the loop then, you're also missing DJ Curtis's USS Enterprise NCC-1701-G, Eclipse class from your install.

He initially tried transparent bussards with help from Adonis I believe, but couldn't get them to work.  A modder named Cord came around and fixed them up.  You can download the Eclipse class and Cord's patch at BCFiles.
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/DJ_Eclipse_1701G;108349
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Eclipse_Class_New_Bussards;111065

I encourage talking with DJ Curtis, arguably the best BC ship maker that's a regular; Adonis, who if you aren't aware (I'm not sure how long you've been out of the community) is an old vet and has since moved on to Star Trek Excalibur; and Cordanalius, though I'm not sure where to find him, but he's famous for a super high detail Earth that he still hasn't released :roll.

UPDATE - H concept gets closer to where I want it.  You'll see Intrepid class influences in the secondary hull shape (mostly the deflector and the area aft of it), Sovereign class influences in the side profile, Excalibur class influences in the top profile, and Eclipse class influences in the textures.  I plan on having that ball room thingy on the Eclipse class on the H (probably go with Independence class, I like how it rings), but I'll probably move it to that notch in the front ala Ten Forward.

Also, it's big, it's blue, and it's staring at you.

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »
She's looking pretty sweet.  Although I think she would look better darker, and more Excelsior like IMO.  I used Paint to come up with this... rough idea obviously lol, but something like that is what I would do, If I knew what I was doing  :D

Offline FarShot

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
I lightened those spokes (for wont of a better term) because I thought they interrupted the flow of the gradient radiating outward.  But if it makes it more canon (if that can be said of an uncanon ship), then I will darken them.

Darkened, plus a few additions to other areas...

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2010, 01:29:26 AM »
Looks good, although I'd say Canon has nothing to do with it.  You could make her pink if you wanted lol.

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2010, 02:27:06 AM »
I liked the darker colors of the deflector in the previous posts.  The gradient from the center to the edges was very smooth.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »
Textures are gonna take a back seat for a while.  Gonna take some stabs at mesh errors.  Those boolean unions did some damage. :banghead:

I've gotten everything down to either quadrilaterals or triangles, which I've heard is something you want in BC models.  Now that I can see every edge that renders, I can see things I don't want to see.  But here are some orthos to whet your appetites.

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2010, 11:42:40 PM »
Whoa... that's Neat  :D