Author Topic: Space Patrol Promotion -- Watch  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Karronade

• Cookies: 5
  • Assimilate This!!
Space Patrol Promotion -- Watch
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
Hey folks, there is something comming for you:

Space Patrol in german original with english subtitles!! I will release the 7 Episodes in smaller parts on YouTube and I wil post them over here so taht all can watch them easily:

Here is part 1 from the first episode "Attack From Outer Space"/Angriff aus dem All:

Comments are highly welcome :)

Don't know Space Patrol? Check it out now over here!!

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Space Patrol Promotion -- Watch
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
the eps are very well preserved.  I think they're in better shape than TOS was before it's resto.  the Orion 7 itself looks familliar.  I swear I saw that underside in the "Men in Black" movie as the ship the cockroach conquerer tried to get away in...

other than a bit of "engrish" in the subtitles(which is inevitable), I'll look foreward to seeing these episodes.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Karronade

• Assimilate This!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »
You're right. Space Patrol design was copied many times. For example the Federationships in Star Wars Episode I+II are closely looking like some defencestations (I think you will see them in Episode 7: Invasion).

The had a very huge buget for every episode, 300.000 DM I think. I don't know the exchange rate to $ in those days but it was much more than the producers for ST:TOS had.

other than a bit of "engrish" in the subtitles(which is inevitable), I'll look foreward to seeing these episodes.

As far as this concerns, I give my very best on that. Translating a whole Series, 7 Episodes ? ~ 60min. is not so easy and my english is a bit.... lets say rusty at the moment ;). I'm a scientist, not a linguist, but I hope it will be gone better part by part, but the main thing is this:

Can you understand, what's been said?

If not?
Ask!! I won't bite :evil:

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »
I believe the budget for TOS was about 90k an episode.  I know that the British Pound in the 70's was still 2.5 to one on a dollar. I could probably figure out the equivalent in today's money worth somewhere on the web.  I'm betting it ran about a ?1 million equiv, today.

oh yes, I can understand. I even get the gist of some of the actuall German. I've worked with Amish for the past few years, and their native tongue is a Swiss variant of German that's slowly been anglicized.  they laugh if I try to speak it with something near a German accent :P

the only really glaring examples of engrish are in the titles of the characters (and all they need is a space).

he only thing I don't get (understand) is that the sentence structure of German and its derivatives is identical to english, yet you guys have a hard time speaking English :P
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Karronade

• Assimilate This!!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
The most difference between engish and german is that you have 4 different cases in the german language:

Nominativ, Genitiv, Dativ, Akkusativ.

In english you have only one case. I think this is why it's so complicated for us, because we are a bit more complicated like you english people ;) . Watch this show here and you will get an insight of german politics. Though it is about 50 years old, many things didn't have changed. Ah, I love these shortcuts: ORB, TRAV, GSD, all these authorities named in Space Patrol and when they are arguing at each other, this is really genius! This is germany today, too! Nothing happened, but everybody throws the responsibility to the other one. But with one difference: There is no man like MacLane around here!

Next one ;) :

Offline Karronade

• Assimilate This!!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
And here is Part 3:

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
it's been so long since school, I had to look up "case". yes, actually, your right.  we dropped multiple cases somewhere along the line, and made it complicated.  don't forget, english (especially American english) has absorbed words, structure, etc from other languages, so there's influence there.

also, there's a couple of pervs on that crew :P  I thought that was a british thing :P
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Karronade

• Assimilate This!!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
What does actually happen down there on MZ4? Are they still alive or drunk? Where are these threesome comes from?
Good to have your (at)tension ;) . Here are the answers in Part 4:

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:01:12 PM »
Wow, those sets, uniforms and effects are streets ahead of TOS! A pity it's not in colour.

Although, when you look at The Cage, it's evident what havoc a desire to capitalise on colour TV could reek in 1960's TV. The Cage's bridge, despite the articulated lamps, the printers, and the 19 inch viewscreen, always looked more grounded and realistic to my TNG-trained brain.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!