Author Topic: Star Trek Online - Design The Next Enterprise Contest  (Read 14511 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online - Design The Next Enterprise Contest
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »
Cryptics ship modeller CapnLogan posted a link to his dropbox to the bigger orthographic image, but he didn't post the public link so no-one can see it, I'll post a link to his post when it gets resolved, don't want to post a direct link, don't want to overwhelm his dropbox.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2011, 03:17:27 AM »
May not be "Enterprisey", but I'm still gonna get my hands on one of these ships down the line. (See my sig, heh.)
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
Good thing its going to be a free mission reward.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
Good thing its going to be a free mission reward.

Yes, but from what mission? Some people think it's gonna require an STF-type thing, set AFTER the feature episodes.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Zoberraz

• Cookies: 0

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
you beat me

Offline JamesTiberiusKirk

• Johnny Walker... one of my best friends! Cheers!
  • Cookies: 33
  • Cheers!
    • My Myspace Page ->
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
well, its interesting, but im not completely satisfied with the design... it needs to be more streamlined from the side and front views

"And this... is... to go... even further beyond!"

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »
well, its interesting, but im not completely satisfied with the design... it needs to be more streamlined from the side and front views

I kinda agree, but only because it reminds me of my least favorite Enterprise from those angles.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2011, 04:35:51 AM »
I kinda agree, but only because it reminds me of my least favorite Enterprise from those angles.

... do please humor us... which one?
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Zoberraz

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #209 on: July 28, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »
More screenshots!

Quote from: CapnLogan
Made a new sky file to sharpen image, desaturate colors, crank up the bloom, and BLACKEN space. Realism in STO: ENGAGE!!

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:19 PM »
... do please humor us... which one?

The D.  She looked great from some angles, but others...just awkward.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
I've poured over this thing and in general I like it.  I think it would look a lot better with a more traditional neck.  Also, anyone notice the deflector has a split design like the one on my Enterprise F?

I particularly like the nacelles and the dorsal profile.  The way the impulse engines are recessed is very nice.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
It's alright I guess.  If anything I would like the nacelle pylons to be a hair or two wider but for the most part I don't think it's all bad; besides, the Enterprise-E did set the bar pretty high in all fairness...

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
I've poured over this thing and in general I like it.  I think it would look a lot better with a more traditional neck.  Also, anyone notice the deflector has a split design like the one on my Enterprise F?

I particularly like the nacelles and the dorsal profile.  The way the impulse engines are recessed is very nice.

Not to mention that the saucer has a little bit of your Eclipse in it.  Just a tad.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
I'll bet that the designer of this ship probably studied DJ's designs and decided to use some elements from them to make a somewhat hybrid. But then added some original parts to make it not too close to anything DJ has made. 

Problem is, if the above is truly the case, as much as I like this new Ent-F design, if anything was "lifted" from DJ's work it's for lack of a better way of putting it... pussy. Some parts are IMO too much like DJ's fine work and the designer of this ship couldn't think of something completely unique without "borrowing" pieces of others' work?? COME ON! You can do better than that!

On the other hand, if the designer honestly thought similarly to DJ's way of thinking/creating, then please forgive my above comments.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
I'll bet that the designer of this ship probably studied DJ's designs and decided to use some elements from them to make a somewhat hybrid. But then added some original parts to make it not too close to anything DJ has made. 

Problem is, if the above is truly the case, as much as I like this new Ent-F design, if anything was "lifted" from DJ's work it's for lack of a better way of putting it... pussy. Some parts are IMO too much like DJ's fine work and the designer of this ship couldn't think of something completely unique without "borrowing" pieces of others' work?? COME ON! You can do better than that!

On the other hand, if the designer honestly thought similarly to DJ's way of thinking/creating, then please forgive my above comments.

Better than people using Tobias Richter's old WIP  JJ-Prise as advertising.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »

To be fair thou, each and every one of the "Enterprise" class designs, borrowed something from one of the ships that came before it. It's called a "lineage" of ship designs, and even in the STO Enterprise-F, elements of past Enterprise's can be traced back to it's origin. The basic 2-cylinder nacelles, 1-cylinder stardrive and "saucer-shaped" primary hull are still there, albeit modified. The Enterprise-F most drastic difference in appearance, would be to re-invent the usage of a neck connection between stardrive and saucer, compared to the sleekness of the Enterprise-E which had no defined neck.

I can see where some "DJ Curtis"-influence might be present in the Enterprise-F design, but simultaneously it shows some progression to what we know of as the Enterprise-J (which i'm sure DJ Curtis took some inspiration from, in designing some of his ships).

The end result, is that artists of all kinds, often borrow from other artists. One might call it plagiarism, but that's generally how things work. Music often borrows lyrics and even entire sections of a song. Movies occasionally re-use old footage from other movies (Google The Island & Transformers 3 for example).

EDIT: Example given,
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2011, 08:55:57 PM »
To be fair Darkthunder, that was from another Michael Bay movie and he had no choice but to borrow footage from somewhere since they couldn't use what was filmed in that car chase because an extra had been badly injured and paralyzed on set and the family pretty much legally bound Paramount to not use the footage.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
To be fair Darkthunder, that was from another Michael Bay movie and he had no choice but to borrow footage from somewhere since they couldn't use what was filmed in that car chase because an extra had been badly injured and paralyzed on set and the family pretty much legally bound Paramount to not use the footage.

True enough. I actually did research a bit after my last post, and realized it was Bay that directed 'The Island'. That doesn't exclude the fact, that artists borrow stuff from other artists. I'm sure The Island/Transformers 3 situation is not unique. Hell Star Trek has been known to "borrow" scenes from other tv-shows/movies.

How many non-Star Trek movies can you spot in the mirror universe intro? :P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
In the STO-verse, the Enterprise E went though a 'singularity' in the Paulson Nebula and was never heard from again.

Well I have news on this front, Cryptic have 'edited' their "Path to 2409" section of the website and removed the part stating the Enterprise-E was MIA. Last thing the Enterprise did now was in September 2408, sent to Starbase 236 after command loses contact with the base.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?