Author Topic: Star Trek V Bridge_Textures WIP  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Star Trek V Bridge_Model WIP
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »
yeah, I was using that nickname back then but I got banned due to no credits in readme (mod theft) I couldn't even defend myself lol :P I wasn't english speaker at all  :eek

I had v.2 which is darker and had some more retexturing to it but lost it along with Yamato FBB and my Prometheus retexture due to HDD failure :(

It looks more than awesome mate ! have a cookie

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
thank you :) my very first bridge retexture...
I always had a soft spot for ST5 Enterprise interiors while ST5 bridge is my second fav TMP bridge :)

yeah, I was using that nickname back then ....I had v.2 which is darker and had some more retexturing to it but lost it along with Yamato FBB and my Prometheus retexture due to HDD failure :(

Never realised was your work.  But now makes sense  :)

Offline Picky

• http://img529.imageshack.us/i/pickyngm.png/
  • Cookies: 26
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
As promised, the update: roof and turbolifts done.
To do: railing.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Looking gooooood :D
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »
That's some fast modelling...

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »
damn... you work faster than light :O with progress that fast we're gonna have STV set in no time :)  cookied

Offline Picky

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
damn... you work faster than light
Eheh, a lot of experience from TWOK bridge! In this bridge (ST V) there are lots of imperfections, but all them are out of the internal part, so when we will use it in BC they will be not visible.

Final updates for the model: the rail is done. Now the title of this thread will be: Textures WIP

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Star Trek V Bridge_Textures WIP
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »
If you'll need any help with texturing (not only displays) you know who to ask ;)

Offline Picky

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
Yes, I think I'll need help, thank you!
I'll work on this project tomorrow :) .

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »
Holy crap!  That's some fast work! :eek :D :yay:

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
Fantastic work, but wasn't the STVI bridge just a redress of this one?

Would it not have been easier to "undress" the 3E STVI Bridge?

Nevertheless, as a model, this is gorgeous!
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 07:07:06 PM »
no, it wasn't, looking at floorplans, turbolifts on STVI bridge are on the sides of the bridge and back wall is 3 segments of displays (science-msd/enviro/aux-communications) while STV bridge has torbolifts in the very same spot as they were on TMP/TWOK bridges and the back wall was only 1 segment divided to 2 stations (I guess these were aux/sec/msd like stations) there are some minor details out there but textures could cover them but where's the fun part :D ? new bridge new challenge :P

Offline Picky

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 08:12:18 AM »
The rear consolles are MASTER SITUATION and TACTICAL.
Another differece is the front rail: in the ST V  bridge there isn't: the two steps are attached in one large step that goes all around the front part of the bridge. In the ST V version there isn't the clock in the screen's frame, the stations are a little different, there are wood parts in the keypads, etc. The ST VI bridge is somehow "militarized" while this version is more elegant!

Update: the textures are proceeding but I have a minor problem: I'm using max 9, I have finished the materials and there are a lot of textures to do! I have already compatted the same colors in one texture, but how can I add others materials?

The blue-glow effect from the roof will be done with the lightmaps.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
but wasn't the STVI bridge just a redress of this one?
i was wondering the same thing!  thanks bones and picky for clarifying :)
id wouldnt mind seeing some side by side visual comparisons; im just curious to see what i hadnt noticed before...

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
Update: the textures are proceeding but I have a minor problem: I'm using max 9, I have finished the materials and there are a lot of textures to do! I have already compatted the same colors in one texture, but how can I add others materials?

The blue-glow effect from the roof will be done with the lightmaps.

As I said in first post and Bones pointed out, lot of people think this is same as TUC, but is the missing link between TWOK and TUC  :)

What problem are you having with adding other materials?  My suggestion would be use Bones' STV bridge retexture tga files  as linked earlier as guide for now,  then adjust.  Just add textures via material editor.  Click on the object you want to texture;  go to material editor and hit grey ball. Hit Diffuse button, which opens up bitmap option; then point bitmap to texture.  Then add.   V. imp to note is make sure textures are .tga files,  and acceptable sizes (256x256, 512x512 etc, or 256x128, 512x256, etc...).  There are some good basic pointers in ship modding tutorials section.

And don't forget blue glow around the viewscreen  :)

Offline Picky

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
And don't forget blue glow around the viewscreen
Eheh, this will be done with lightmaps: a lot more realistic effect!  ;)

go to material editor and hit grey ball

The problem is that I've finished the grey balls! The textures are, for now, 2048 x 2048: do you think it is too much? Resize them will be easy: just cut them and adjust the UVW Unwrapping.

make sure textures are .tga files

Yes, I draw them in .tga, obviously  :)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »
So what you're saying is you've run out of grey balls, lol  :)   Easy enough in max 9...just go back into material editor/Utilities/Reset Material Editor slots.   You won't lose materials already in scene;  just get a new set of grey balls

The only problem with large texture sizes is could be laggy on some people's systems.   To be honest, I've found with experience that unless have high-end system and staring at detail close-up (like in Type 9 cockpit)  large textures don't make huge difference.  Unless you're real close, little difference between 1024 and 2048 lcars, and I'd argue 512 ok.  Any plain texture (carpet, wall) etc need be no larger than 128 or 256.  Average lightmap is 256. 

512 or higher best for areas where need a little more detail - wall or floor lightmaps with light/shadow detail, lcars

But go with you what you think best and if necessary release bridge with a cut-down medium folder as well.

Offline Picky

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »
The only problem with large texture sizes is could be laggy on some people's systems
Yes, you are right: I'm resizing all the textures, now they are 512 x 512. Only the panels and some texture that needs detail will be 1024 x 1024.

Update: still need to add some detail to the model, but I'm at a good point. The main textures are done, there is something to adjust, maybe I will make the doors a little darker, the blue-glow effect of the screen's wall will maybe replaced with a lightmap... I will make some tentative and choose the best result. Then we will have to wait for the panels (I'm sure Bones is drawing some perfect masterpiece :) ).

Just a question: the flashing red alert strips (the one in the LCARS panels) have to be on a sapareted band just 0,00001 millimeters in front of the panels? They seems to be that in 3rd Era Team's bridges.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 06:09:51 AM »
Just a question: the flashing red alert strips (the one in the LCARS panels) have to be on a sapareted band just 0,00001 millimeters in front of the panels? They seems to be that in 3rd Era Team's bridges.

That's correct.  It's not the only method but probably the best one.

Offline Picky

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
Thank you, I'll build them in the next hours.

Little update: some progress and some adjustment.

EDIT: update. The Red Alert panels are the original ones by 3rd Era Team: I don't have the authorization to use them, so they are only a guide for the new texture I will draw.