Author Topic: no game sounds  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
no game sounds
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »
This is a new and curious one.  BC loads -- get KM video and music.  But once into menu and then game, suddenly no music or sound fx.  Have deleted and reset options.cfg  but no difference.  Curiously, Single Player install which runs from same disk has no probs.  It's just the KM which has 'lost'  its sounds.

Any ideas?   :idk:

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: no game sounds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
how was km installed?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
The usual way  :idk:   Sorry, bit confused.  KM been working fine for years, and until yesterday. Like to think I'm not a noob, lol.    This sound prob is new one that's just occured today so not sure what it has to do with KM install.  Unless you know something I don't?  :D

Oh, and just to clarify on sound issue: there is a very very faint lcars-beepy loop going under the KM menu, but barely audible.  But menu music and bridge sounds def awol...

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
lurok, have you tried leaving you pc off for a while then trying to play again?, cuz if your pc is anything like my e-machines one, then the sound card may have wacked out and just needed to reset itself.

and before you say it would affect all sound, it wont, believe me,my sound card used to play all sound accept BC's sound, i then turnt the pc off, left it for a few hours or days, turnt it back on and the sound was working like nothing happened.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
I doubt that's the issue.

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
eh, ya can never tell untill you eliminate all possibilities(VULCAN LOGIC  :bitch: )

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
The usual way

kinda depends on OS. XD

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
Lets knock out the obvious.  I doubt it's an issue with your sound card since you mentioned you're other BC install is working fine, so my guess is there's something going on in your KM install.  Have you installed any new mods recently or modified anything?  Also what's the console telling you?  (I'm willing to bet it won't say much, BC doesn't like to tell you why errors like this occur  :banghead: ).

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:18 PM »
Absolutely nothing in console.  Nothing added or changed.  Has just...stopped.  wtf  :idk:   Unless coincidence the only feasible link is those damned cursed Defiant bridges.  Even so,  can't see how any changes to those would shut down sound in KM?    Come on, someone must have a clue? 

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »
I gave you a clue... lol

what's your OS and install order... XD

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »
I gave you a clue... lol

what's your OS and install order... XD

Apologies, Neb.  Missed your OS post  :facepalm:     OS is Vista.  From memory, KM install order way back was the recommended:  BC/patch/KM 1.0.   All installed to separate HD.    Like I said, was working fine until yesterday and my KM-free Single Player install has no sound problems.   So prob safe to assume it's a prob that's cropped up in KM for some unknown reason.  I should add that as well as no bridge or crew sounds, no external ship sound fx either...

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
the only feasible link is those damned cursed Defiant bridges.
I don't think that may be the case, I haven't noticed any issues on my install with the latest beta...but you're right they shouldn't cause this kind of error in KM anyways.  :idk:

Come on, someone must have a clue?
I wish I did, but I've never heard of this kind of error before.  Honestly if it wasn't for your non-KM install working properly I would assume there's a problem with your sound card and/or drivers...

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »
did you check the sound options in game?? XD

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »
did you check the sound options in game?? XD

I assume you mean the sound options in main KM menu?   Of course  :D  All active and working. 

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »
did you change the sound quality options?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
did you change the sound quality options?

Not able to on my rig.  I assume you mean the one that has hardware and low quality options? (sorry, not near KM at moment).  Can't remember which option but I can only choose one of them.  Anyway,  as I keep repeating like stuck record,  working fine but just stopped without me adding any new mods or changing settings.   I appreciate any help from anyone but unless I get a practical suggestion/explanation soon rather than just 100 questions I may just end up re-installing KM  as it may end being quicker at this rate  :D

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »
I appreciate any help from anyone but unless I get a practical suggestion/explanation soon rather than just 100 questions I may just end up re-installing KM  as it may end being quicker at this rate  :D
Honestly that's what I'd do at this point.  They say re-installs are rarely necessary, but that doesn't mean they're never necessary...

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »
Honestly that's what I'd do at this point.  They say re-installs are rarely necessary, but that doesn't mean they're never necessary...

lol.  yeah, have re-installed before but usually because major fubar.  Don't feel case here and such a major pain for something so slight.  Glad to see not only one had this problem:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4207
though interestingly not running Linux/WINE  and anyway their fix didn't work for me.  But at least it's a recognised issue.  I'm sure some genius will come up with answer and get a cookie  :D

EDIT:  ok, one path should explore...what's the script that controls loading sounds for KM menu? 

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
Not able to on my rig.  I assume you mean the one that has hardware and low quality options? (sorry, not near KM at moment).  Can't remember which option but I can only choose one of them.  Anyway,  as I keep repeating like stuck record,  working fine but just stopped without me adding any new mods or changing settings.   I appreciate any help from anyone but unless I get a practical suggestion/explanation soon rather than just 100 questions I may just end up re-installing KM  as it may end being quicker at this rate  :D

from this, its sound like your sound card may be on the way out, are you using an intergrated sound card or a PCI/PCI-E sound card lurok?

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
Again I doubt it's the sound cards fault.

If it were the sound card you would notice it in other games/programs.
Then that would be caused by the card itself or by the drivers...