Author Topic: Luna Class ( Kophjaeger's Model Converted For BC )  (Read 1328 times)

Offline EDD_7

• Cookies: 24
  • Also Known As Mr_7 :P
Luna Class ( Kophjaeger's Model Converted For BC )
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:55:55 AM »
Recently i requested permission to convert Kophjaeger's Luna Class for the NanoFx Model Viewer, and so he was really really helpful and sent me the model in .obj format.

Thus i thought as i have it i'll ask if i can convert it for bridge commander, And so here i am with the luna class in .Nif format with full permission. Also he has sent me a previously unreleased slip stream variant of the Luna class, so its is definatly an exclusive ship :D

I have to just convert the textures to .tga and fix the registry problem i'm having and i think its ready for being ingame. These models are high detail using 3 2048x2048 textures and 1 1024x1024 texture for the registry.

So big thanks to Kophjaeger, And as ever have some pictures :D enjoy

Offline EDD_7

Re: Luna Class ( Kophjaeger's Model Converted For BC )
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 05:00:04 AM »
And the slipstream variant as i couldn't add it to the first post

enjoy

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »
Yeah Kophjaeger is a great guy + modeller. Good to see it over in bc :D

~Jb

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »
Yay I can hang mine up for now until I learn how to model properly LOL This is going to take a class for me unfortunately :S

EDIT:  Ack meant to say he's done a beautiful job on the new girl :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
I've always really like the Luna class. Glad to see another one coming to BC.

Offline EDD_7

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:47:39 AM »
I've started matching up the ID map to the rest of the hull but i've encounted a problem which makes it impossible to do. (The progress so far in attached image).

The problem is that the mapping of these section of the model are overlapped in the UV map. The only way i can fix that is to either 1 get rid of IDs completely, 2 Re map those sections, or 3 somehow make everything except for the text transparent.

the 3rd is an option i want to try but i don't know how to make the transparency work in BC models. Does anyone know?

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »
just use no registries
It makes massive battles realistic
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
I used to make registries outside of Illustrator and then transfer them in with a transparent background.  It's really simple if you create your registry with a black background, and then save the file in .png format.  Voila!  Text only.

Offline EDD_7

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »
I used to make registries outside of Illustrator and then transfer them in with a transparent background.  It's really simple if you create your registry with a black background, and then save the file in .png format.  Voila!  Text only.

Already got them to that stage (with 19 seperate registries) , but its the conversion to .tga that i can't seem to keep the transparency as it just changes it into an alpha channel.

Heres and example, i've reduced the size to 512x512. First one is Png and the second is .tga.

Offline admiral horton

• Cookies: 4
    • my devianart page
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
I'm loving the looks of this great job
Orthos please when ur done :dance
there are great starship designs and there is crap

Please visit my Deviantart page at http://admiral-horton.deviantart.com/

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
Hey dude, I can help you with the ID's I've done it before with the Hawkeye Sovereign, my Steamrunner class, and DJ's galaxy (which I will NOT release for those about to ask :P).

EDIT:  Never mind I can't do option 3 all I know how to do is make ID Maps...

EDIT2:  And if I'm not mistaken there's a way you can use the Alpha channels as a transparency.  It's what the EF2 crew models do...Let me see if I can pull it up on my photoshop :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
Why do you need to convert the registries to .tga?  I just drag the .png file into Illustrator, select "Flatten Transparency" and choose to maintain the Alpha Transparency.  You could also use Rastersize and select transparent background. 

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
Why do you need to convert the registries to .tga?  I just drag the .png file into Illustrator, select "Flatten Transparency" and choose to maintain the Alpha Transparency.  You could also use Rastersize and select transparent background. 

Well BC only uses .tga textures for their ship models...

That and if I'm thinking you're thinking that you could just copy/paste said registries on the textures...then no he couldn't.  The saucer alone is mirrored, so it would look like NCC-8-CCN (Imagine that the CCN is reversed physically and you'll get my drift ;))

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:35:46 AM »
Would be nice to have a GOOD Luna class model in BC for a change. Can't wait! :D
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline EDD_7

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 10:40:23 AM »
However despite all my ideas Kophjaeger solved my problem and remapped the registry so now they work :D heres an example of the newly converted model. So prepare yourselves for a luna with 19 registries lol.

i have yet to convert the textures from .dds to .tga so thats next

oh and a spec map and glow test in the nanofx viewer :D

Offline ChiefBrex

• Cookies: 303
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
Conversion from .dds to .tga is really easy. DDS textures are essentially tgas, just a special file extension of nVidias. I used to do modding for Legacy as well ^_^.

Offline EDD_7

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
Conversion from .dds to .tga is really easy. DDS textures are essentially tgas, just a special file extension of nVidias. I used to do modding for Legacy as well ^_^.

Yeah i'm constantly converting from .tga to .dds. Its just going through the model and renaming all the extensions to .tga thats going to take time. I'll leave the other registries and either work on them at the end or release them at a later date.

Also i think this is a perfect opportunity to try Cord's Diffuse glow technique :D 

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 11:52:01 AM »
Go with whatever you wish man LOL I can't wait to play her in game :)  (I may even retexture her myself for my own personal thing :D)

Either way this puts mine to shame for now :) (with emphasis to FOR NOW)

Offline Maxloef

• STBC Aftermath Co Founder
  • Cookies: 61
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
The TGA Alpha registries, dont work properly in bc...ive tried...

if uve found a way...please...do tell

Offline ChiefBrex

• Cookies: 303
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
I must say, that model looks phenomenal in the NanoFX viewer. I'm impressed.