Author Topic: WIP Ship Designs - Cronus Class (the excelsior replacement)  (Read 4130 times)

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
Re: WIP Ship Designs
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
What about the freedom class?
The saladin class?
kelvin class (don't shoot me here :funny)

Btw, i wasn't really clear perhaps with the warp capabilities. This ship isn't meant to go warping from system to system, it is designed to fast travel or jump towards the enemy. Strike in and strike out while the base(ship) is on the edge or in an other system. These ships aren't made to go solo for a long time, only go out to fight in a fight with the capital ship or a strike action or in a fleet. (so it would be useless for the maquis :D)

But i retook some footage, and changed a bit.

So i added the two "auxiliary impulse units" on the wings (are bigger) and the main impulse unit is below the end of the nacelles.

Added an extra nacelle to create a better warpfield.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 01:34:07 PM »
well, from what I've read, those ships are designed to move fast in a straight line at warp, but be highly maneuverable at sublight, maybe to warp out to a trouble spot, fight as long as they can, then quickly run away when the bigger ships arrive.  The Vulcan ring ships seen on ENT and TNG would also fit this description, The Vulcan's approach to space exploration is more methodical, so they don't need warp maneuverability. 
I suppose that if the fighter is only designed to use the engine for short warp jumps, and not FTL combat or interstellar ferry flights, a single engine could make sense.

Have you given any thought to how this thing lands, I can't imagine those wings supporting the weight of the craft on the ground by themselves.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »
Uh huh, but military fighters are nowadays big about redundancy, hence two engine designs are far more common, especially in the navy. thus, twin warp nacelles make sense as it offers a form of redundancy. and should we need extreme examples of redundancy, look no further than A-10 warthog that has triple redundancy..
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
well, from what I've read, those ships are designed to move fast in a straight line at warp, but be highly maneuverable at sublight, maybe to warp out to a trouble spot, fight as long as they can, then quickly run away when the bigger ships arrive.  The Vulcan ring ships seen on ENT and TNG would also fit this description, The Vulcan's approach to space exploration is more methodical, so they don't need warp maneuverability. 
I suppose that if the fighter is only designed to use the engine for short warp jumps, and not FTL combat or interstellar ferry flights, a single engine could make sense.

Have you given any thought to how this thing lands, I can't imagine those wings supporting the weight of the craft on the ground by themselves.

landing wouldn't be a problem.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
i have a suggestion, try mountin each nacell on the wings but right next to the fuselage, or attach them to the side of the fuselage just above where the wings are attached.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
i have a suggestion, try mountin each nacell on the wings but right next to the fuselage, or attach them to the side of the fuselage just above where the wings are attached.

I was thinking that the entire time when i was making the ship from sideview!

I think i'm going for that!

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
Changed it again!

But the design is coming to an end (about changes etc), if there will be changes to the design, they will be small ;)

Remember, still a wip people, things are still being added! Nothing is complete yet.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
Well, with these new revisions, I'd say the nacelle feels out of place.  I have a couple ideas for a change, maybe.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
One idea I had, goes back to present-day fighter planes, having the nacelles mounted under the wings (much like the ordnance hangs under the wings of fighter planes).

Tried to do some editing in Photoshop for an example, but couldn't quite get all the views done.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 07:17:39 AM »
I've been doing that too, but damn it i don't know man.

I know that the a one warpnacelle looks not right on the picture. I think i need to find something else.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 08:15:51 AM »
Goddamnit! Apparently, my illustrator ai file of the razor fighter just got damaged beyond repair!! same counts for the back up :(

I'm gonna try working the current stuff that i have off in photoshop :(

Offline 007bashir

• Cookies: 111
  • Android User/Screenshooter/Sci-Fi Rendering
    • http://007bashir.deviantart.com/
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 10:18:46 AM »
why not sank the naccelle into the main hull?

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
I can't change it anymore :(

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
Unfortunately, i'm not able to open my ai file anymore :(

So the only stuff i've got is the latest screencap i've taken (the one of last night).

I'm gonna add some details to it, and that's it.

But there weren't any big changes i was gonna do towards it, so that's not the problem. The only thing i'm a bit angry about is the resolution.

Project i will be working on after the razor fighter is a new big ship.

It is gonna be a ship that will replace the excelsior class ship ;) Also post ds9.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »
i WAS looking for a good fighter to go along with my carrier design before i got benched from a broken PC.. however keep this one in the bullpen and when i get back to buisness round here ill definately pick it up when i do my carrier  :thumbsup:
(unless someone beats me to it)
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:48 AM »
hehe, no worries. I will try to work with the screencap i still have ;) (adding details to it).

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 05:18:17 AM »
I'm here for almost a week now in austriche and pff i'm bored.

The work i'm gonna put here are gonna be pure schematics and not a fully drawn (in color) ships.

SO

the Cronus class (new excelsior follow up/ post ds9 time) will be put here in pure schematics.

Miss the forum guys (this page loaded almost an hour on this lobby internet crap).

grtz Sovereign001

Offline sovereign001

Re: WIP Ship Designs - Cronus Class (the excelsior replacement)
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
This is gonna be the new excelsior replacement.

Made up of a look a like galaxy class saucer / look a like excelsior hull (with sovereign class deflector) / look a like sovereign warpnacelles.

The size will be around 510 meters.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
Its good but the neck looks a bit odd, some different views might change that though. :)

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
No worries, top view and aft, front and ventral view will all be made.